|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Flat Tow 2011 Ford Escape

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jeathomas

midvale, utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have discussed further with the local ford manager. He was at a meeting with Ford corp and they are aware of the problem and told them to advise the customer to stop more often and go through the steps. We have been trying to discvuss the problem with the BBB. They contacted us today and advised they are going to close their file on the problem since we have traded in our Escape at a huge loss. I advised them we really did not have an alternative since we are full time RVer's and this is our only vehicle. It seems that Ford knows of the problems but is just hoping all will go away over time. They seem to have done the numbers and feel that this is an easier and cheaper route rather than having happy customers. I will not buy a Ford again and am telling everyone I know of the problems and lack of resolution of their part.

dleslie125

Southern Ontario/Palmetto FL in Winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Owners may have been following the manual but it turns out they should be following the TSB's that have been released. There is one major difference.

The manual requires the owner to run the engine for five minutes and then at the end of the five minutes shift through the gears once in a R-D-N sequence.

It turns out that is NOT correct. I had our Escape in at the dealer today and took in the 2011 and 2012 Escape and Fusion manuals that describe this procedure. I also took in the July 2011 TSB. I pointed out that the TSB says run the engine for five minutes and during that period shift through the gears (with foot on brake of course). No one wanted to believe this and they felt that the wording was intended to be the same as the manual.

So, my Service Manager called Ford. They called back while I was there and were very clear with their reply - YOU MUST SHIFT THROUGH THE GEARS FOR THE FULL FIVE MINUTES. The 2012 owners' manual is being revised now and this will be in the next edition to be printed soon (copies are available on the web promptly).

They will not be notifying owners in writing. I believe that is a mistake. Otherwise, how is an owner who is towing supposed to know that the TSB was even issued? Makes me wonder how many other TSBs have been issued for our vehicles. Frustrating to say the least.

In any event, next week when I connect the toad I'll be sitting with one cheek on the seat and a foot twisted around the brake buddy with my foot on the brake for five full minutes with the engine running while I shift up and down through the gears.

I've also put in a ScanGauge and will be monitoring the fluid temperature whenever we stop (every two hours or so until we are comfortable). Our 2011 has been towed 3,000 miles at this point with no problems.

The TSB points out that the installation of a lube pump might invalidate the warranty if the product results in damage to the vehicle. A friend of mine bought a new Santa Fe last year and part of the deal and included in the price was a lube pump. Hyundai approved it, the dealer installed it, and the Hyundai warranty is valid. Sure hope Ford doesn't say "no transmission warranty" to those who put in the pump.

2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 • 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC • 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT • 2000 Triple E Cder F53
Prev toads •11 Escape 07 Tahoe LTZ • 04 Colorado

Reidtrek

Temagami, Ont Donna, Texas, Winter

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/11 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has there been a change in shifting sequence....My manual says to shift to R before N.??????
To help with the issue of a brake in a box system...I have cut a broom stick long enough to push the brake down and held by placing it against the backside of the steering wheel...I then can sit in the passenger's side and shift throught the gears.

Dave.

dleslie125

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/11 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reidtrek wrote:

Has there been a change in shifting sequence....My manual says to shift to R before N.??????
To help with the issue of a brake in a box system...I have cut a broom stick long enough to push the brake down and held by placing it against the backside of the steering wheel...I then can sit in the passenger's side and shift throught the gears.

That is what I'm contemplating to hold the brake down as well. Also going to see if the BB test switch will lock it but I doubt it.

The sequence means nothing now since you just sit and go up and down for 5 minutes but I'm going to finish the 5 minuetes with the D-R-N pattern that is in the manual.

I'm also going to make sure that when I turn the engine off I do NOT turn the ignition to off but rather to the acc position. On one forum someone thought this has an impact I thought that might be a stretch until I read the procedure in the Ford manual for the 2012 Focus (which looks like it could be a gem for towing - no running the engine, no shifting the gears, 70 mph speed limit and no time limit and requirement to stop. But, negative battery cable has to be disconnected so power will have to be supplied for the brake buddy or equivalent some other way) which says do not turn off and then back to ACC or towing is limited to 35 mph. That made me wonder about the Escape and if there is something the manual writers didn't know or forgot to stress.

donee

Ca. 93063/ Ut 84129

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/11 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading the posts on this thread, Im still confussed about something.
We have a 2011 Edge with all the bells and whistles.
We re interested in setting in up as a toad.
Will there be any problems fdown the road with this vehicle?
Thanks.

donnie (K7UTA) & Linda
1 rescued furrykid "Buddy"
08 Monaco Monarch 30SFS
09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited.

dleslie125

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/11 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donee wrote:

After reading the posts on this thread, Im still confussed about something.
We have a 2011 Edge with all the bells and whistles.
We re interested in setting in up as a toad.
Will there be any problems fdown the road with this vehicle?
Thanks.

Edge has a heavier transmission and there have been no problems reported. Owners say it tows well. DW did not want something that size and loves her 175 inch long Escape - or we'd be towing an Edge.

bugmuddy

Riverview, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also didn't do enough research prior to buying a used 2010 Escape a couple months ago. Got it set up for towing and burned out the transmission after a couple short trips. Ford is installing my new transmission now, but they don't want to talk about a lube pump yet. Mike at the Lazy Days Tampa Camping World location told me he's replaced 3 with Ford "up north" picking up the tab though funneling the money through a local dealer.

Don
Riverview, FL

xbairman

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have th 2011 Fusion that has the same transmission as the Escape. After 3 transmission failures Ford installed a Remco pump and a charging circuit. With our luck the pump had a complete failure the first time out. In talking to two Remco reps a a RV show they said that they were working together with Ford and developed a new pump with a different valve body that will be available in 60 days and if I could wait to replace the bad one it would be worth it. As a side note Ford went out of their way to make sure our trip last summer went as smooth as possible, making sure we had a rental car at each location we went to and delivering our car at our final stop in Montana.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Flat Tow 2011 Ford Escape
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS