|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What is square footage of a class A

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
livemusic

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/11 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtrumpet wrote:

livemusic wrote:

I didn't know the width, plus, you have slide-outs. Do any of those go from the floor?

What?

I thought some, the bottom of the slide is a couple of feet above the floor. If so, that adds to living space, I suppose but not floor space. Beats me, I don't have one, just pondering getting one.

FlaCracker

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/11 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would LOVE to have 350 sq ft. but LANCE doesen't build a TC quite that big...YET.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/11 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can only turn a 'shoebox' so many ways.........

It's like trying to figure sq. footage of S&B. Do you include garage space, how about closets, attic???

The normal RV will not have more than 450 sq. ft. .......it's really not about sq. footage.

Find the 'floorplan' that works for you and yours...that is what will matter.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/11 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

livemusic wrote:

mtrumpet wrote:

livemusic wrote:

I didn't know the width, plus, you have slide-outs. Do any of those go from the floor?

What?

I thought some, the bottom of the slide is a couple of feet above the floor. If so, that adds to living space, I suppose but not floor space. Beats me, I don't have one, just pondering getting one.

I've never seen any slides in motorhomes that DON'T add floor space. I'm guessing here but maybe you don't realize when you see pictures of motorhomes from the OUTSIDE with the slides out that the bottom of the slides are the floor inside. The space you see BELOW the slides from the OUTSIDE is the outside storage area.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/11 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

livemusic wrote:

I was thinking of people living full-time in a class A. That would prove that out houses are overkill way too big!
Many full timers have a storage unit jam packed full somewhere, where they use to live.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

polly sue

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/11 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dining room slide alone adds about 39 sq. ft. to the rig. By the time you add in the other three slides to the 38'x8.5' chassis, you have a unit that's bigger than a lot of NY apartments! And certainly has way more usable space!

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/11 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The allowable square footage, by code, for an RV (including Park Models) is 400 sq ft. A 45' motorhome with a 102" width (8.5 feet) would give you 382.5 sq ft BEFORE extending any slides. The amount of extra room you get with slides isn't huge, but believe me, opening up and being able to pass someone on the coach without having them pick their feet up is wonderful!

One way to get an appreciation is to go to an RV show and spend some time in different kinds of units.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS)
Mischief (2004 Subaru Forester Toad)
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

bcook57

Mt. Juliet, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/11 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 43' Dutch Star has 4 slides. A very quick calculation would be maybe 416 sq. ft., roughly.

Leeblev

Pinole, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/11 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slides DO have floor space, even if they are elevated a couple of inches off the main floor.
The calculation is NOT 45x8, but 45x (WHATEVER YOUR INTERIOR WIDTH IS)+ the width and length of each slide.
For example, my MH is 36 with 102" width. I measure from the front windshield to the back wall, then from wall to wall (inside). I have one slide that is 18" x 22'. I would add that to my calculations to give me the total square feet of livable space.
I don't know about a previous post's statement that if the footage is over 400 then it is a mobile home. I am pretty sure that there is a lot more involved than that in making it a mobile home. Not only that, but some of the higher end coaches have a lot more than 400 sq. ft. Yes, they require class B or Non-commercial Class A licenses, but that has nothing to do with living space.

Lee
2001 36' Kountry Star DP

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/11 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As previously stated, many states have a regulation that defines an RV as less than 400 or 450 square feet. If it is bigger than that, it becomes a mobile home, which means it cannot get a vehicle license, cannot be driven on the highway, is taxed differently, etc.
In the past, we full timed in a 27 foot Class A, a 32 foot Class A, and a 32 foot fifth wheel with three slideouts.
The 27 footer was horrible, due to the floor plan. The 32 foot A was tolerable.
The 32 foot triple slide fifth wheel was by far the most comfortable, even in below freezing temperatures.
I would have no qualms about hitting the road full time in our present Tioga 29H Class C. DW says if we do that she wants one with a slide out. I tell her that in that case, I want one with a diesel!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What is square footage of a class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes