RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Thoughts on switching to seasonal site

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Thoughts on switching to seasonal site

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
debrick

Florence, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds pretty expensive to me but, it depends on location like everything else.

We are in Northern Kentucky and changed Seasonal sites in July.

Since we are boaters we like water access too.

The past 3 Seasons we were in a Campground on the KY River--we paid $135.00 pre month (weekender rate) for 7 months ($945 year)--full hookups--pay your own meter for electric (ranged from $18-38 per month)--winter storage was $50.00 per month--storage of boat was included--free dock space on weekends. Grass was mowed by Maintenance guy--adding flowers etc was optional--some did -- some did not.

Moved to a new site (a Marina/Resort) on a creek that flows into the Ohio River--$630.00 for the year (You heard it right)7 months--Winter Camper storage included --however you may not be able to access your camper as it is first in last out--full hook-up--concrete patio--mow your own --Electric Meter is your own--we do have a community pool--occasional activities--more of an "adult" campground although we do have a really nice playground.

Boat dock is less than 50' from our site--private dock is extra--$480 for the year or you can use the ramp for free and pull out each day--storing boat in boat yard is free with dock fee (we put in on Friday--pull out on Sunday).

There is a campground down the road from us that is $2500. for the season (and they have a waiting list) but that campground is full hook-up and much more commercial--mowed sites and they have a ton of organized activities for the kids --we don't need that so ours works for us.

We do like the ease of the seasonal but do pull the fifth wheel out a few times a year for vacations etc.--used to have a small class A in addition for trips but, sold that so we are currently looking for a small travel trailer--under 26' to redo as a winter project and use for those times we would like a change of scenery or for winter and early spring trips--that is my ideal scenario.

krenee

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are moving to our first seasonal site next month. They are open April 1st thru Nov 1st and we will pay $1875 plus electric. That price includes leaving it on the site through the winter. Interesting to read this thread with the pros and cons of seasonal sites. Guess we'll find out what we think about them. There are so many varied reasons people enjoy camping and I think that is reflected in their likes/dislikes about seasonal sites and where they like to camp in general. The campground we will be at is quiet and very scenic. At our age (50s) that is what we like. Years ago when we camped with our kids they would have driven us crazy because they would consider this campground boring.

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently have a cabover camper but long term plan is to buy a TT for seasonal and keep the TC for travelling. We like to travel but also have a favorite lake. A TT and camp space is a lot cheaper than buying a lot and building something.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Part of the fun for us is the adventure of getting to the CG. It might be an hour drive to get there but we like that aspect of the camping experience(towing vs just driving is even more fun for me at least). We like to stay at different parks. For weekend stays(2 nights) we stay at CG's under 1 1/2 hours away. For 3 nights will go 2-3 hours max. For 4 nights will venture longer but certainly not anything over 5 hours. This makes it all doable for us.

Our strategy for a weekend stay:

1) Get camper out of storage Thursday after work and hook up to shore power at home
2) We have an outside kitchen so before I go to bed I load it up with adult beverages, water, soda and juice. The outside fridge will get cold pretty quick.
3) On Friday my wife will normally load the kids clothes back into the camper from the weekend before and make the beds if we did linens which we do about every 3rd trip(beds that is).
4) Wife will load inside fridge and bring in perishables and make sure we have everything stocked but we keep a list every weekend of what we need so we have already bought this during the week and just need to throw it in the TT.
5) I will get home around 11:30-12pm. Change into camping clothes. Maybe eat something quick, disconnect from shore power and within 1/2 hour of being home we are gone.

Now, if my wife worked we would do the following:

1) Either I or her would get up 20 minutes earlier on Friday and load the inside fridge and put in perishables. All the clothes and linens can go in Thursday night.

We clean the TT before we leave on Sunday. We are pretty clean to begin with(no shoes inside, clean up after meals etc) so it doesn't take long at all and is not a chore when leaving on Sunday.

This works for us but then again I can be flexible in my work hours and my wife is a stay at home mom.

We camped every weekend from Memorial Day and still going and only took one weekend off in August after we got back from a 2 week camping trip. We love it and could not imagine parking our TT in one spot but that is a decision you will have to make based on your schedules, likes, dislikes, conviences etc.

mcpre

millwood ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been seasonal for 24 years now at the camp we used to go to when I was a child. Picked this place because hands down was my favorite, plus we got pick of all site besides 2, because of ownership transition. No regrets, NONE!!!

Mark and Carmela
Rosie
2011 Jayco 33rlds on river

Wisconsin1

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have has a seasonal site for a couple years until this year we sold it. It ran us about $2300 or so per year plus electric. We love it but at this time our kids are too young (1,3,4) and we decided at that price and economy we would sell and pay thing off and do other trips. We started out with a 24' no slide and upgraded to a 38' with large slide and bunks. So we were more comfortable. They had tons of things going on every weekend (themed weekends)and with the 2 water slides and big pool and pond it was fun. The most fun I has was the golf cart and the lights and stuff that I can add and looking on RV.net for mods that I could do to the trailer. We had a little lot that we mowed and added flowers and such. There is different types of people out there, ones that likes to see different spots and one that likes to go out and have a place away from home. This is something that we will probably try again in the future but right now it isn't for us. I would recommend someone to try it.

Here is a website to where we stayed: River Bend Resort

If you are in the area I would recommend staying there.

batman99

at seasonal site

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seasonal site expensive????

No Tow Vehicle. No poor MPG with Tow vehicle. Extreme low insurance (with towing, high cost road liable is required). No hassle of reservations (especically on unexpected rain days). If it rains, we simply don't visit our seasonal site.

At seasonal, one gets to use a Real BBQ, a real deck to stay out of the mud, etc. etc. Simply drive to location using high mpg "run about" vehicle and enjoy. I have no regrets being at a seasonal site. And, hope to spend the next 5 years at our same seasonal site location as well...

BradinOhio

Akron, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The seasonal site we have runs from May 1st to October 15th. The total for the season is $1500 and includes water, sewer, trash pick-up, free wifi, and use of the large swimming pool. Electric is metered seperately (maybe $25 per month). We can also store our TT at the site for the winter at no additional charge. Our site is a large corner lot. We are responsible for mowing/trimming our own site, but they do offer to do that for you for an additional (but reasonable) fee.

* This post was edited 09/15/11 11:09am by BradinOhio *

Brad ('68), Sandy ('71), Amber (shephard), Niko (shiba inu)

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS
'10 Keystone Passport UL 245RB (prior - retired 6/2012)
'07 Rockwood Roo 21SS (prior)

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is also sudo seasonal at some lakes and resorts. They have dry storage near the campground / marina that you can store your boat or RV in for $30 - $50 a month. You can call ahead and have them put it in a site for a small fee or just drive up and pull it out yourself. Clearly cheaper than full seasonal where everything stays hooked up but still less work than hauling RV to and from every trip.

sbowman871

Wilmington, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wisconsin1 wrote:

We have has a seasonal site for a couple years until this year we sold it. It ran us about $2300 or so per year plus electric. We love it but at this time our kids are too young (1,3,4) and we decided at that price and economy we would sell and pay thing off and do other trips. We started out with a 24' no slide and upgraded to a 38' with large slide and bunks. So we were more comfortable. They had tons of things going on every weekend (themed weekends)and with the 2 water slides and big pool and pond it was fun. The most fun I has was the golf cart and the lights and stuff that I can add and looking on RV.net for mods that I could do to the trailer. We had a little lot that we mowed and added flowers and such. There is different types of people out there, ones that likes to see different spots and one that likes to go out and have a place away from home. This is something that we will probably try again in the future but right now it isn't for us. I would recommend someone to try it.

Here is a website to where we stayed: River Bend Resort

If you are in the area I would recommend staying there.

Wow!! that looks like a great place to be. I was in Madison this Wednesday. I should have checked it out.

2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Thoughts on switching to seasonal site
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts