|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New Campground Host's Can Spoil The Experiance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
big dave

Soldotna, Alaska, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/11 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've used the same campground for our 4th of July weekend family camp out every year for the past 10 years. It's off the beaten path on the Kenai peninsula in Alaska, and is rarely even 1/2 full, this year about 1/4 full. It's always been a very pleasant place to be. This year we had new host's who had apparently just read the rule book and were determined to see that we didn't break any. We were told that all dogs must be on a leash including our 10 week old Shi-Tsu (3 lbs.), and that the leash could be no longer than 9', ours is a little pink thing that I can almost hide in the palm of my hand, but it's 10' long. apparently their 60 lb. dog is an exception however, because we saw it off the leash several times.
The leash thing wasn't the only issue we had, but was the most ridiculous.

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope they read this.

Dave & Rose C
90 Safari Ivory 34' DP
04 Saturn VUE V6

manley

Valdosta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/11 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp hosts can ruin the best intended rules. Most of them are camp Nazis, unfortunately. Some of the worst, IMHO, are the state park hosts that act like they are law enforcement... lol.

2010 Chevrolet Silverado Z-71 4X4
6.2L Vortec, 3.42, 6-speed Automatic, Hensley Arrow
2009 Keystone Cougar 29RLS

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/11 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never had any problem with any camp hosts, maybe because I follow the rules. From the sound of the original post, they didn't think their dogs should be on a leash.

searfoss

East Stroudsburg PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/11 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went to Pine Grove Furnace State Park a few years ago we met the host or camp Nazis. We were camping with 4 families and the Hosts stood with a note pad behind my rig as I was backing in to make my tires didn’t go off the pad and he almost got backed over. Made sure we placed out reservation marker properly on the pole. But the SH&$# hit the fan we committed the unpardonable sin and moved the picnic table to a community site! They whipped the cell phone out so fast and called the ranger. When the ranger arrived we were cooking flank steaks on the fire, she asked us about the table being moved and we politely asked if it was ok because we all wanted to eat together and promised to move it back when we left. The aroma of steak was in the air and we insisted she stay for supper, and when she sat down at the table (the one we moved) to eat the hosts face was priceless. Needless to say they were very angry and stormed back into their Class A and watched us out the windows. The Ranger did ask us to make sure the table went back when we pulled out.

Poconos Pennsylvania
2007 Gulf Stream Gulf Breeze 23TRS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear

RIP Mike, we miss you so much

Bushey562

Norco, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/11 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have done the same thing you did. The measly host could have come over and talked instead of calling the ranger right away, good for you.

* This post was edited 07/05/11 11:23pm by an administrator/moderator *

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/11 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are always more rule-breaking, rude, inconsiderate campers that think they are the exceptions than there are bad hosts. Obey the rules, be polite to others, and realize others are there to enjoy their time, also and you won't have a problem with hosts...or neighbors!

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/11 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been a host from coast to coast (and I'm a poet who didn't know it and I can GUARANTEE you that there are FAR more bad campers than there are bad hosts, especially at state parks. I can't tell you how many people expect hosts to be their mothers, picking up after them. Why some people think they can be slobs when they are away from home is beyond me. Rules are there to help the camper. Follow them and you'll have the pleasant experience you were looking for. Hosts are supposed to be helpful. In all my time as a host I probably met fewer than three who either went overboard or simply were not people oriented. Look at yourself before using such a VILE accusation as "nazi" when referring to others who job is to help you.

Dennis Osha

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/11 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not everyone is gonna love or even like your dog. a considerate dog owner never lets their dog run loose. the host might've tried asking you first but you should've had your dog on a leash. small dogs can and do bite.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

hottubkid

SCHAUMBURG,IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/11 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always felt that when I am at someone's elses place that they make the rules.Your dog should have been on a leash to begin with. I have left many campgrounds because people have not followed the rules and were a pain in the bottom to me.I respect people that follow the rules they usually make it better for all of us. Hope you cleaned up after your little dog so the rest of us do not step in it

hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/11 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

not everyone is gonna love or even like your dog. a considerate dog owner never lets their dog run loose. the host might've tried asking you first but you should've had your dog on a leash. small dogs can and do bite.

I agree.

Your tiny little dog would be much safer on a short leash, for sure.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New Campground Host's Can Spoil The Experiance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: