|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Wired Backup Camera Installation w/pics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/11 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our Class C motorhome, it did not come with a rear view camera. Oddly enough, it did come with a rear view mirror. I guess that would be useful if you had kids to keep an eye on while driving, but for us it is useless. So we started doing our research to find a good quality wired rear view camera. The search took a week as we had to weed through all the no-name Chinese made stuff that is out there.

Brands like Pyle, XO, Hootoo, Peak and Boyo just couldn't deliver. Poor design, poor construction and a bad reputation was all we could find out about them. Luckily, we came across the Rear View Safety 7" TFT LCD Color Rear View Backup Camera System with Audio. Rear View Safety Inc (RVS). is a leading manufacturer and distributor of rear view camera systems in the USA, however the unit we bought was manufactured in China. The kicker is that it is made to Rear View Safety's standards, not Chinese standards. RVS has a great reputation and their product looked to fit our needs, so we ordered one. Thanks to Amazon Prime, it arrived 2 days later. Here's what was in the box:

You get one 130° wide angle Color CCD infra-red weather proof backup camera, one 7" TFT LCD color rear view monitor with universal mount/stand and wire, one 3 channel multiplexer control unit, one 66’ extension cable for camera, one Wireless Remote control, one Power connection wire, one Double RCA + power converter, (to connect external, audio video and power), and one screw kit for installation. Before you begin the installation, hook the unit up to make sure everything works. You don't want to get it all installed only to find out you have a problem somewhere.

You will need the following to be able to properly complete the installation: a drill, a 3/4" bit, a cross-tip screwdriver, some ProFlex RV sealant, some patience and about 2 hours. We also used wire ties and some wire loom to secure the wire under the RV.

We looked online and saw that every rear view camera on a motorhome was mounted below the clearance lights, so this is how we mounted ours. Our clearance lights are kinda low but 6" didn't make that big of a difference. Using a pencil, we marked where we would drill the 3/4" hole for the wire to feed through. We made sure there wasn't a wall stud in the way and after starting the hole, we looked to make sure there weren't any existing wires in the way. With an all clear, we drilled a hole through the wall.

Because of where we had to mount the camera, we decided not route the wire through the ceiling rafters. It would have been a tremendous undertaking to try to fish 66' of wire through the rafters so we opted to go through the floor and under the RV. Our hole punched through inside the kitchen cabinet. I didn't empty the cabinet beforehand and the drill bit tore a whole into a packet of white gravy mix. I taped it up so we can enjoy that gravy one morning with our biscuits!

I then drilled another 3/4" hole into a nearby wall that is hollow and this is the route we took to the floor. Yet another 3/4" hole was drilled and now the wire is outside. We fished it all through then sealed it all up with ProFlex RV sealant. We removed the rubber grommet that came on the camera as we couldn't get it to fit. We aligned the camera, tested the angle and screwed that sucker in place. A generous helping of sealant will keep any moisture outside where it belongs.

Yes, we cleaned off that smudge in the first picture. You weren't supposed to notice that! Now the fun part, routing the wire under the motorhome. We won't go into detail as your routing will be different than ours, just make sure to avoid heat sources and potential pinch points. Once we had the wire in the cab, we coiled up the excess and tucked it and the multiplexer under the dash. We mounted the monitor above the silly rear view mirror. We connected the power wires to a male cigarette lighter plug so we can easily remove power from the unit when parked. If you only want yours to come on when you are in reverse, connect the blue wire to your backup light circuit. We twisted the red and blue wires together so ours is on anytime we plug it into the cigarette lighter.

These shots aren't the greatest as the windshield cover was on, but you get the idea. On the monitor you can see our enclosed trailer, our ladder and the park models behind us. We are very pleased with this backup camera and it will be a big help while traveling and when parking. If you'd like a camera system like this, click the link near the beginning of this post. That is the best price we found anywhere. Warranty is for 1 year. You can also add 1 or 2 more cameras to this system if you want side cameras or perhaps one looking over your entry door.

* This post was edited 07/08/11 06:31pm by sonicsix *

Firstep1

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/11 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems that "Rear View Safety" is Only a Distributor as they state in thier Company information ,Rear View Safety Inc. is the leading distributor of rear view camera systems in the USA
and not the manufacturer. I hope that it is as good as you state Fred

Lethbridge, Alberta

God made a few good heads, the rest he put hair on.

Ribbit

Silicone Pit, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/11 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photobug: Since you're into photography (?) you probably have some 35mm film cans laying about from your "OLD" camera? Using rubber grommets in holes you've drilled in the cap and can of a film holder,
slide the coax from the tow-er and tow-ee into each 1/2 of the holder. Put on new crimp male connectors. The coax should fit tightly in your grommets. If the coax doesn't slide through the grommets easily, dab a little grease from hitch ball onto the coax. Using a double female barrel, join the two male connectors with the barrel and then slide two halves of the film holder up and snap them together. When the trailer isn't hooked to the towing machine, use the halves of another holder, without holes, to cover each end of new connector covers. This works for small power connectors as well if the connectors can be attached after the wires have gone through the grommets. If you don't have any film containers, you could use any screw/snap together container that grommets can fit onto tightly. The rubber slide-on boots for coax cables WITH their opposing hard mount, such as on the RV antennas would work as well if there isn't too much movement of the cable but it wouldn't be as neat or repair-able as your film can fix.

photobug

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/11 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been thinking about doing that to my rig. problem is, it's a travel trailer and I haven't figured out how to make the connection between the trailer and the truck so it will survive dirt and moisture. Already have the monitor installed as part of the stereo system. Is there a maximum cable length before you start getting too much signal loss.
Several years ago a cop tried to pull me over, but I couldn't see him since he was right behind the trailer. He was pissed, I managed not to call him an idiot. turns out the brake lights on my trailer weren't bright enough. maybe a rear facing camera would help? you're call.

2001 Ford E350 XLT Van
1999 28' Komfort superslide
prodigy brake controler
EU2000
wired for directv, wi-fi and sirius

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/11 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Firstep1 wrote:

It seems that "Rear View Safety" is Only a Distributor as they state in thier Company information ,Rear View Safety Inc. is the leading distributor of rear view camera systems in the USA
and not the manufacturer. I hope that it is as good as you state Fred

It has a 5 star rating at Amazon and that was a factor in choosing it. Even though this unit was manufactured in China, it is made to RVS standards and not Chinese standards.

PHOTOBUG: They sell a coupler kit at the RVS web site just for that purpose. See it here.

* This post was edited 07/08/11 06:33pm by sonicsix *

Nick-B

Vaughn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a nice system.

If you are a Costco member, they have it online for $20 less.

Backup Camera @ Costco

Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag

J-mans Dad

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ribbit
the connections are not coax. they're a 5 pin round connection similar to a S-Video connection. (2) conductors for camera power, (2) for signal. there is a sleeve that covers the connections if you use an extension cable.

JN_B

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/11 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photobug... See below..

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/accessorie........-213.html?SID=0m8b4hmif911kkri6mu5jt6ed7

I've got one ready to install, just haven't found the monitor I want (for the right price).

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Wired Backup Camera Installation w/pics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS