RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Best Load Range E Tires

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Best Load Range E Tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 03/12/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/09/11 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

4,050 lb. rear axle. Not HD by any stretch of the imagination. Why would you put 6,200 lb (combined) tires on there? LT 'C' rated would be a much better match.


Ditto, E rated tires are simply a waste of money for your setup.

Mav


"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

Desert Captain

Tucson

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/09/11 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyW wrote:

Are you hauling THAT heavy? I am currently running those E rated BFG A/Ts on my F150. They have been great for towing and Winter driving. However they reduced my mpg's by about 8% and made the ride much stiffer. And now that they've been on the truck for a few years the Winter handling BLOWS really bad despite plenty of legal tread.

You should also bear in mind that you don't have to inflate them to 80 PSI (especially on an F150). Mine are currently at 35 PSI. I've even towed my 6000 lb travel trailer on short trips at that PSI, but I can definitely feel it. Typically I inflate them to around 50 PSI, which has been rock solid.

I'm pretty sure I'm going back to P metric next time. Virtually all of them are rated higher than even your max tow package axle ratings.


Billy i think your dissatisfaction stems not from the E rating but from the AT (as in all terrain). This is why the ride is stiffer and your mileage is suffering. At most my Michelins (M/S 2's) cost me about .3 or .4 of a mpg and the ride is just as smooth as the old P raters. If you do much towing you will wear out P's very quickly and you'll be giving up significant improvement to the handling. YMMV.

surveyorjp

Missouri

Senior Member

Joined: 09/05/2005

View Profile



Posted: 07/09/11 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

lbrjet wrote:

4,050 lb. rear axle. Not HD by any stretch of the imagination. Why would you put 6,200 lb (combined) tires on there? LT 'C' rated would be a much better match.


Ditto, E rated tires are simply a waste of money for your setup.

Mav


Only a waste of money if they cost more. Often times, E rated tires can be had cheaper than a C or D which may or may not even be available.

But I agree an E is overkill for a 1/2 ton. I only run them because I got them cheaper.


2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

BenK

SF BayArea

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2002

View Profile



Posted: 07/09/11 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slick Rick wrote:

snip...
I think this qualifies as HD. I gotta find out if my stock wheels can handle 80psi.
Thanks for the info guys, I'm a newbie to max towing, but thanks to you guys I'll know more when it comes time to hook er up. Don't worry, you're safe on the roads, I don't own a tt yet.


Nope, it's a 'regular' half ton

'HD' approaches 3/4 ton GVWRs (currently that would mean into the 8K range)

How many wheel lugs ? That is one rule of thumb. If it does have 8,
then most likely those wheels would then be capable of handling 80PSI
That info is also mandated by law to be on the wheel (weight rating &
PSI rating)

Or does it have the same diff ring gear dia as the 3/4 ton...another
rule of thumb


-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BillyW

North ID

Senior Member

Joined: 10/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/09/11 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

BillyW wrote:

Are you hauling THAT heavy? I am currently running those E rated BFG A/Ts on my F150. They have been great for towing and Winter driving. However they reduced my mpg's by about 8% and made the ride much stiffer. And now that they've been on the truck for a few years the Winter handling BLOWS really bad despite plenty of legal tread.

You should also bear in mind that you don't have to inflate them to 80 PSI (especially on an F150). Mine are currently at 35 PSI. I've even towed my 6000 lb travel trailer on short trips at that PSI, but I can definitely feel it. Typically I inflate them to around 50 PSI, which has been rock solid.

I'm pretty sure I'm going back to P metric next time. Virtually all of them are rated higher than even your max tow package axle ratings.


Billy i think your dissatisfaction stems not from the E rating but from the AT (as in all terrain). This is why the ride is stiffer and your mileage is suffering. At most my Michelins (M/S 2's) cost me about .3 or .4 of a mpg and the ride is just as smooth as the old P raters. If you do much towing you will wear out P's very quickly and you'll be giving up significant improvement to the handling. YMMV.
Honestly I'm not dissatisfied with the ride. To me a truck should ride like a truck. I definitely need an AT tire for where I live and go. But the fact is I do commute everyday in my truck and I don't really tow or haul that much. I took a big leap of faith and assumed the OP intended to use his nice new Ecoboost F150 in a similar fashion. Since they don't seem to make C rated tires in the appropriate size anymore, I've been looking at some of the more heavy duty P metrics. Many of them inflate to 50 PSI and have C rated equivalent load ratings. If I was towing heavy, I imagine I'd opt for a D or E again next time. I just wish these BFG A/Ts would wear out so I could justify new tires before next Winter.



'97 F150 4X4
'04 Pioneer 18T6



MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 03/12/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/09/11 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

surveyorjp wrote:

MadMav wrote:

lbrjet wrote:

4,050 lb. rear axle. Not HD by any stretch of the imagination. Why would you put 6,200 lb (combined) tires on there? LT 'C' rated would be a much better match.


Ditto, E rated tires are simply a waste of money for your setup.

Mav


Only a waste of money if they cost more. Often times, E rated tires can be had cheaper than a C or D which may or may not even be available.

But I agree an E is overkill for a 1/2 ton. I only run them because I got them cheaper.


Have yet to see this happen in true life. E's are nearly always more money.

Mav

Slick Rick

Eastern Shore of Virginia

Full Member

Joined: 07/23/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/09/11 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Slick Rick wrote:

snip...
I think this qualifies as HD. I gotta find out if my stock wheels can handle 80psi.
Thanks for the info guys, I'm a newbie to max towing, but thanks to you guys I'll know more when it comes time to hook er up. Don't worry, you're safe on the roads, I don't own a tt yet.


Nope, it's a 'regular' half ton

'HD' approaches 3/4 ton GVWRs (currently that would mean into the 8K range)

How many wheel lugs ? That is one rule of thumb. If it does have 8,
then most likely those wheels would then be capable of handling 80PSI
That info is also mandated by law to be on the wheel (weight rating &
PSI rating)

Or does it have the same diff ring gear dia as the 3/4 ton...another
rule of thumb

You are right, I stand corrected. Mine only has 6 lugs. If I remember correctly, Skip has the HD with the 8' bed and 7 lugs.
Maybe C rated tires are the way to go for me, I know I gotta get rid of these SRAs!

450Rrider

Azusa

Full Member

Joined: 11/30/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/09/11 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i love General Grabber HT/S, they're on my wifes honda pilot P235/70/16. 265/75/16 load range E on the 2006 silverado diesel. next i'll have them on my nissan frontier. great towing manners, excellent daily driver tire, great price.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Best Load Range E Tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS