Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: What's that (outside) smell?

Posted By: reinita on 07/11/11 04:58pm

We've already used our TT about five times this season since we got it. It's our second, so we are relatively new to RV'ing, but not complete newbies. Whenever I walk by the TT when we're parked at home, I've noticed that there's a urine smell outside our trailer. Our previous trailer did not smell like that at all.
I've checked to make sure I properly closed the cap after draining the black and grey tanks. I've also made sure to really flush out the hose before storing it in the bumper.
Our TT has a covering over the whole bottom, so it's a little bit hard to see what's going on under the "hood," if you would.
Any suggestions? I will take it in to Camping World in the coming weeks, but I want to figure out if there's anything I can try in the meantime. We do put in a few gallons of water after each dump and throw in some of the green stuff in the tank.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a shih tzu, a leonberger and, oh, yeah, two teens and a 7-year-old.

Posted By: coolbreeze01 on 07/11/11 05:15pm

Maybe a neighborhood cat? Good luck.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Posted By: rv2go on 07/11/11 05:17pm

You may have rodents living somewhere underneath.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
www.rv2go.us
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

Posted By: davidm99 on 07/11/11 05:23pm

You might check your refrigerator. Dometic and Norcold both have recalls out. The ammonia in the back of the refrigerator leaks out which may be the source of the smell and then they catch fire. Major safety issue. Good luck and I hope you do not have a fire.

Posted By: javaseuf on 07/11/11 05:31pm

davidm99 wrote:

You might check your refrigerator. Dometic and Norcold both have recalls out. The ammonia in the back of the refrigerator leaks out which may be the source of the smell and then they catch fire. Major safety issue. Good luck and I hope you do not have a fire.

Shouldn't be a recall on a 2011 fridge unless they used old stock when building the trailer.
I suspect either cat urin or a leak from the toilet under the trailer.

Posted By: jeeperman on 07/11/11 05:57pm

O yes the dreaded smell, If the unit has fairly new tires on it, it's probably them. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Take a whiff of those tires. I don't know why but that's the way tires are smelling now days.

Posted By: hitnderoad on 07/11/11 05:58pm

We have a 2011 2590 BH Passport and we had a weird smell like this from the day I brought it home. This was before we used it and the tanks were empty. I thought at first we had a gas leak, but did all the tests and ok. I think it comes from the glue or something in the Mfg at Keystone. I checked out some other Keystone models at a dealership( new on the lot) and I could smell that weird odor. That dealer and my dealer of course say they never heard of such a smell. Yeah! Ours is slowly going away with the heat of summer, We have now camped four times and never have any sewer smell and use chemicals. At first we really sensed this odor down wind.
Good Luck

Posted By: hitnderoad on 07/11/11 06:04pm

jeeperman wrote:

O yes the dreaded smell, If the unit has fairly new tires on it, it's probably them. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Take a whiff of those tires. I don't know why but that's the way tires are smelling now days.

I thought the smell could have come from the tires too, but they smelled like new tire rubber as usual. About wore out my smeller looking for this weird smell.

Posted By: granite on 07/11/11 07:01pm

Are you sure it is not a spraying cat(s) or dog(s)? I usually pick up on that urine aroma and know someone's precious pet has been wandering by too frequently.

Posted By: skipnchar on 07/11/11 07:34pm

Make sure you're NOT leaving the black tank empty when the trailer is in storage. No matter HOW well you flush the tank when dumping there are ALWAYS solids remaining and leaving the tank dry will turn these remaining solids to REAL solids (like stone) and cause odors and clogs in your black tank system. Best practice is to ALWAYS set the tank up for it's next use by adding several gallons of water and the chemical of your choice as soon as you finish dumping.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: BillyW on 07/11/11 09:56pm

I had a cracked propane fitting under my trailer that left me thinking the black tank was leaking or an animal was overly ambitious. It didn't smell like the propane you smell from the camp stove or bbq before it lights. It was definitely a more rotten, what the, kind of smell. Dunno if that fits your issue or not.

'97 F150 4X4
'04 Pioneer 18T6

Posted By: Wes Tausend on 07/12/11 05:35am

There is a possibility that moisture has gotten into the basement area. Some mildews smell like urine.

If tires ever smell like anything other than rubber, I would suspect dogs...

Wes

Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2000 Excursion V-10 - 2000 F-250 CC 7.3L V-8
- 2004 Cougar Keystone M-294 RLS, 6140# tare
- Hensley Arrow - Champion 4000w/3500w gen
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

Posted By: Gus1 on 07/12/11 07:03am

Could be your black water tank vent pipe. I have noticed that on still day with no wind or the trailer parked near a wall the sewer vent gases will kind of float down the side of the trailer were you can smell them, every now and then.

Posted By: ac_sheldon on 07/12/11 10:35am

Ever since we got our new camper in March, we too have noticed a weird smell outside. To us it smells more like sulfur than urine though. And as Jeeperman said, it is definitely the tires. Makes you wonder what the heck the Chinese guys are making them out of.

Posted By: shaferz on 07/12/11 10:40am

We have a bit of smell coming from our camper also, but it seems like it is coming from the 'rubber' material that the roof is covered with. Can smell it pretty good when the slide out is in (the same material covers the slide.)

First TV and my daily driver: 2003 Ford Excursion Limited. V10 4X4
Second TV and wifes daily driver: 2006 Trailblazer SS AWD - superior blue
TT: 2010 Coachman Catalina 27BHS
My toy: 1999 Grand Prix GXP. best time = 12.07 @ 116.58

Posted By: reinita on 07/23/11 09:34am

Wowza. My nose still doesn't know. Will mention it to the CW folks when we stop by in a couple of weeks to make sure the black water tank is not leaking. Blech.
Still smelling it after many weeks of camping and ensuring the black water tank is properly treated (we put water and "chemicals" after each dump). That said, the black water tank is very flat, for lack of a better word. And it always looks full, plus our sensor tells us it's at 2/3 full, even after we dump. We've tried the ice trick to no avail.
Weird...

Print  |  Close