|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> No WOW Factor with Steer Safe

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BigSkyBob

Helena, Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/11 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My coach always handled very well, even in high cross winds and when semi's passed me. But I installed a Steer safe for safety reasons and it made a big difference. I wasn't looking for a huge improvement because my coach was easy to drive but now it's amazing, it practically goes down the road with little or no input. I'm very impressed with the product, plus it was easy to install.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

FocalPoint

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/11 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just installed my Steer Safe unit this morning and it took me an hour and a half for the install. I must have had the wheels dead strait when I installed it because I didn't need to make any adjustments when I test drove it. It made a huge difference in the way it handled, like day and night, no more wandering! It just wants to go strait down the road on it's own. I am really happy with Steer Safe.

2000 Harney Coach Works DP. 3126B Cat Toad 2010Honda CRV

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/11 12:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gents,
This never ceases to amaze me. Here we have people putting their hard earned money, A LOT OF IT, to 2011 motor homes that these coach builders have been making for quite a while now and, they STILL CAN'T MAKE THEM GO STRAIGHT DOWN THE ROAD, without the adding of aftermarket equipment!!!! Hundreds of thousands of dollars and you still have to fight the infamous "wandering" and large truck effects!!!

Why can't these coach builders get a clue? I had to add the Steersafe to my '99 Bounder too. Now as much as we really liked the Bounder, a 34V with a single slide, that coach was severely poorly designed. They put a 100 gallon water tank, a 75 gallon fuel tank, and a 14 gallon LPG tank, all behind the rear axle. I was running down the road, 300 lbs just shy of the rear axle limit and "1700" lbs short of the front axle limit. Talk about some disproportional loading (on their part, not mine).

So, that's why I added the steer safe. And that was only after I'd added 2.5 degree shims for more caster and, even added one sixteenth of toe-in for some additional help. I took it to a frame and axle place here in San Diego that does large trucks, RVs etc and they said everything I did was exactly what they'd do. Other than that, it was perfect.

The steer safe did make a difference, but, not to the point where it was ONE FINGER DRIVING at all. It's just too bad that you nice folks pay all that money and still have to make improvements that the factory should have done a long time ago.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Elias

Bay Area, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/11 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

topflite51 wrote:

Did you keep the print out from the alignment? If so what was the final caster setting?

David,
I did keep the final printout.
Left- 3.9 degrees
Right- 4.1 degrees

He said he set right a little higher to compensate for road crown.

Elias

Bay Area, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/11 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dbro60 wrote:

I just bought a 2011 Newmar Bay Star and drove it home from the dealer in Indy. It has the F53 chassis. After that ride I ordered Safe-Steer and immediately noticed the difference. Just got back from a trip to Canada and it was wonderful. Could drive with two fingers and did some of the time. No more push from the passing semis. I also ordered today, the Roadmaster front and back sway bars and the steering shock to compliment Safe Steer. Like I said, I just bought this coach the first of june and am already planning on my next coach. This being the first motorbike we have ever purchase and never having even a camper of any kind, what a way to travel.

Dave

Want to buy a new Newmar Bay Star? I am ready to move up.

These are the kind of posts I read so this is what I was expecting. I still have wander and no 2 finger driving, although i never really expected 2 finger driving, just some help with wandering. I have no trouble with passing semi's etc.

dbro60

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/11 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a 2011 Newmar Bay Star and drove it home from the dealer in Indy. It has the F53 chassis. After that ride I ordered Safe-Steer and immediately noticed the difference. Just got back from a trip to Canada and it was wonderful. Could drive with two fingers and did some of the time. No more push from the passing semis. I also ordered today, the Roadmaster front and back sway bars and the steering shock to compliment Safe Steer. Like I said, I just bought this coach the first of june and am already planning on my next coach. This being the first motorbike we have ever purchase and never having even a camper of any kind, what a way to travel.

Dave

Want to buy a new Newmar Bay Star? I am ready to move up.

Dave Brown
Looking to Live the Dream

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/11 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

webhannet wrote:

You should also call Henderson's, the manufacturer, who will be happy to talk with you. They're NUMBER ONE in products to help handling in RV's, and they may suggest a rear tracbar - I trust them!
When did Henderson buy Steer Safe and start manufacturing them?.....

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

webhannet

Southern Coastal Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/11 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gee, thanks Camping World. I believe that chassis come WITH a steering stabilizer. My gasser came with one, but Camping World gleefully sold me a SafeTSteer and told me later.

That said, it seemed to work fine when the CW Service Writer allowed the coach to wander down the road embankment with no hands on the wheel while going 60 MPH. He wanted me to see how wonderful it was. In fact, I eventually DID have a blowout - and it worked well.

Your alignment hould be unaffected by the intallation, but fine-tuning of the unit adjustment is MORE than critical. Only by driving the unit can perfect adjutment be reached -and few places are interested in spending the time that may be required. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and be prepared to do the fine-tuning yourself - it's easy.

You should also call Henderson's, the manufacturer, who will be happy to talk with you. They're NUMBER ONE in products to help handling in RV's, and they may suggest a rear tracbar - I trust them!

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/11 04:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just curious, shouldn't the alignment be done after the installation?
bumpy

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/11 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I installed a Steer-Safe, this is how I adjusted it, and what I did on a regular basis to insure that it stayed adjusted. First, when I installed it I made sure to shift the main component far enough away from the wheel portion so that I guaranteed the most spring force available to keep things in alignment. You can install the Steer-Safe, and it is a little easier, without any pre-tension on the springs. This will work, and it is easier for the install, but just not provide as much steering control.
In any case, drive down a smooth road and put a pointer on your dash and then make a mark on your steering wheel so that you know where the steering wheel is located when you are going straight down the road.
Once I did this, I parked the coach and aligned the steering wheel mark with the pointer. I then used the front leveling jacks to lift the front wheels off of the ground. If the steering wheel swings to either the right or the left, all you have to do is adjust the Steer-Safe springs to bring things back in alignment with the mark. This only takes a few minutes and eliminates the pulling to the side that can happen with a poorly adjusted Steer-Safe.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> No WOW Factor with Steer Safe
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS