|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Gas mileage best speed to cruise

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tourusa

miami

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/11 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a fourwinds 5000 28ft with a chevy 3500 with cruise control trying to get the best mileage possible around the USA has anyone got any tips on maximizing the gas as cruising speed thxs

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/11 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Alfred622

Rochester, MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/11 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Each vehicle is different so it is hard to give one number that meets all. If your vehicle has an instantaneous MPG indicator, then it gets easier. Just pick a lot flat stretch of road sometime when there is little or no wind, and then drive at 55, 60, 65, 70 and watch the MPG readings. You'll want to drive at each speed (maybe use your cruise control) for a good minute if you have an instantaneous MPG meter or for an hour if you have an averaging meter. You only need to do this once! Then, armed with all this good information, you'll just go off and drive whatever speed you feel like (grin) anyway.

Others may indicate RPM is more important than MPH, some will mention the effect of wind, and brand of gas will play a role too.

For me, I tend to drive not more than 65 mph (limit imposed by the transmission in the car I tow) or 5 mph below the speedlimit, whichever is less. That gives all the impatient people an easy way to get around me!

Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

mda

Scotia, NY/Clermont, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/11 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Four Winds 5000 30 ft. with the Triton V-10. Best mileage I get is around 8-9 mpg.
The way to get the best fuel mileage is to lighten the load as much as possible and drive a steady speed. So the short answer is yes. I go 60-65 mph and kick the cruise off going up a steep hill. I let the MH slow down a little. I also have the Torqueflight transmission with a tow-haul mode. I have found mileage is about the same using either mode, but the tow-haul seems to work better on the hills as you would expect. My gut feeling is that it tends to help the fuel mileage as the engine rpms are more in sync with the load.

tourusa

miami

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/11 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks

turninghawk

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/11 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naturally, the lower your cruising speed, the better your gas mileage.

That being said, please be sure to not impede the flow of traffic.

We just returned from a 1400-mile business trip (by car) and during our travels watched at least a dozen RVers dragging along at about 50, in heavy traffic which was moving close to 70 mph. That can cause some undesirable, not to mention unsafe situations.

My advice is that if you're going to travel interstates, especially in and around larger metropolitan areas, be prepared to move with traffic.

If, however, fuel economy is more important than the safety of your family and those around you, stick to the beautiful, scenic backroads where those lower speeds fit right in.

And please don't take the "I'm not in a race to get where I'm going" or "If other drivers don't like my speed they can go around me" attitudes. IMO they're selfish and could also prove to be very unsafe.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/11 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your BEST mileage will come at 30 to 40 MPH. Kind of hard to drive that slow but overcoming wind resistance takes more fuel than moving weight. One thing about it you'll make a LOT of new "friends"

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/11 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my 05 Dmax I have found it is the lowest speed I can keep the unit in 5th gear. The speed will vary depending on road conditions. Flat level roads my best mpg speed is about 50mph. If there is a little grade may have to bump it to 55 to keep it in 5th gear.

Physics dictates slower better mpg as the major force involved is wind resistance. When pulling a barn door behind you wind resistance is significant.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/11 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone says slower gives better MPG, if you go fast enough to keep it in high maybe. I bet at 30 or 35 your MPG would not be very good.

tourusa

miami

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/11 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks I've been cruising at 55 60 any slower may get my push bike off the back not to upset any of the car trip drivers or trucks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Gas mileage best speed to cruise
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS