|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Why are so many for sale

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
webhannet

Southern Coastal Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/11 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same thing has happened to boats, second homes, and anything expensive. People can no longer draw money from their homes. Sites in camprgounds (even dumpy ones!) are running to $35. and higher. Plus, gas, maintenace, hard to get repairs - it's just getting harder and harder for everyone, new and old to RVing.

Another factor - the surge of RV sales made years ago has made the inventory of used units swell. It's really hard to SELL - advertising costs, consignment places want to make too much, financed units are harder to sell - and there aren't many good buyers. That said, CHEAP old units seem to be rising in value - probably because people can pay cash and get on the road with less future financial obligation.

It's a MESS, but so are many other areas of life today.

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/11 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I looked at an 07 Foretravel Nimbus, 50K miles, like new last week for $185
Wow, $185! That really is a bargain. It's probably worth 1000 times that much!

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

mombum

Chattanooga, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/11 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigDog2 has the right idea, ditto his spiel.

Time's a wastin'

mombum
'00 Winnebago Journey DP
'02 Saturn
'00 Red Dachsie, Molly

asphalt sailor

granite state

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/11 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are as many reasons for buying or selling a MH as there are quills on a porcupine. Yes, attendant costs are high and undoubtedly going higher, but I doubt many folks bought their MH to save money. That said,if you are using it for lengthy periods of time, 3,4 months or longer, you would be hard pressed to find suitable accomodations or car rentals that you could otherwise afford for that length of time. If ,as is suggested, there is a high volume of units for sale,then there should be some great buying opportunities out there.Case in point, we bought our 2001 KADP for 45% of book value,the gentleman OFFERED $10,000 dollars less than I was prepared to pay. Maybe looking at it in a Maine snowstorm helped.....Keep 'em rollin'.

Gadget Guy

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/11 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zmotorsports wrote:

I think the reason a lot of people are selling their RVs is because not everyone can have one and they feel guilty for having one. If they sell it they can feel better about themselves for not having more than someone else, plus they feel as though they would be saving the planet.

In this country anymore it is demonized to show that you have worked hard for what you have.

Mike.

I worked hard and long for my money and I will spend as I see fit and never worry about what somebody else may think of me and I certainly will never, never feel guilty about it.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/11 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gadget Guy wrote:

zmotorsports wrote:

I think the reason a lot of people are selling their RVs is because not everyone can have one and they feel guilty for having one. If they sell it they can feel better about themselves for not having more than someone else, plus they feel as though they would be saving the planet.

In this country anymore it is demonized to show that you have worked hard for what you have.

Mike.

I worked hard and long for my money and I will spend as I see fit and never worry about what somebody else may think of me and I certainly will never, never feel guilty about it.

Same here. Now maybe if I played and won the lottery?

jambo101

Montreal (Lasalle)

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/11 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steelpony5555 wrote:

Hmmmm $3.50-$4.00 a gallon on a good day, at 6-8 miles per gallon, problem solved.....

So whats the ball park cost to fill up a medium sized gas Class A?

"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning."

donandmax

Delta Co.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/11 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ng2951 wrote:

Until US drilling takes place fuel prices will remain high. It will probably be next year before we know if the government will allow drilling and another 2-5 years before that oil makes it manufacturing (production is drilling, refining is manufacturing).

The other problem is the economy. Unemployment is at least 9.2%, however, just how bad that impacts depends on where you are located. While I was out trailer shopping, I saw plenty of MHs and big 5'vers being sold (Louisiana). The economy here is not great, but much better than elsewhere. Rock bottom prices make this a good time to buy if you have the money...

The last I heard there were some 200 oil well permits not being used these people had permission to drill but didnt because they want to keep oil production low so prices will remain high. If they do drill oil prices will remain high there not going to come down at all. Probably stay even with OPEC All of our oil that we do drill doesnt neccesarily go to this country it goes to the highest bidder like Japan and China..

If it aint broke fix it till it is

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/11 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is paid for and I use it almost every weekend at the race track--I am not a camper so to speak. Just came back from 4 days at Bristol and leaving tomorrow for SC. Every thing I have is paid for so if I can scrounge up some diesel money down the road I go.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/11 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Gadget Guy wrote:

zmotorsports wrote:

Mike.

Same here. Now maybe if I played and won the lottery?

Let them eat cake...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Why are so many for sale
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS