RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Worst RV mistake?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Worst RV mistake?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/11 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When drilling through the floor to run a coax cable, drilled right through the hot water tubing. Had to remove the wheel well skirt to gain access to the area. Just installed a PEX union.
That's my worse mistake. it's my story and I'm stickin' with it!

Thanson1975

Kansas City

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/11 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a disaster, but going through a small town grocery store parking lot figuring I could exit through the delivery entrance. I could, if there had not been a semi blocking my way and by then I had to back up through a tight parking lot to the entrance hoping that I would not hit any cars.

Learned to look before driving to a spot.

It's not an adventure till something goes wrong...
T. Hanson

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/11 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to focus on the positives....I haven't ever actually, directly killed anyone yet!

Unless Road Kill counts!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/11 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I went from a 27 foot to a 28' 5". The tail swing was doubled which the driver (me) did not allow for. It took me a long time to adjust.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

ata3001

Niagara Falls, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/11 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Letting the snow blower pile up snow against the side of the TT. Damn Jayco design of mounting the walls on TOP of the floor left the floor edges open to the elements. That & Jayco NOT taking precautions to seal up these edges allowed them to soak up water as the snow melted resulting in a ruined floor. Silly me for thinking the edge of the floor should not be sticking out the side of the TT uncovered & unprotected. I'll NEVER own another Jayco. Also they plumbed the tub to the very small black tank mounted directly below the tub. Wasn't that fun when it backed up while taking a shower. So my worst mistake REALLY is "BUYING A JAYCO TT" Good riddance to it.

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

infogeek

Hartford, CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/11 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran into my kwikee steps in my driveway. Didn't know they were out. Oops. That was the biggest oops to date.

Jon

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/11 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Right after purchasing our present trailer, I forgot about the rear end swing while entering a campsite and while making a sharp turn I wedged the rear end corner against a tree between the rear cap and the bumper.
Had to cut the tree to get out as I could not move forward or backward and could not even raise the tongue without damaging the end cap. One more 1/2 inch and I would have torn the rear cap right off the trailer! Was VERY lucky!
Barney

I didn't think ANYONE else had ever actually done that. I usually pull out of my alley in one direction due to a couple of utility poles that are located on each side at the entrance from the other way. Once when exiting at THAT end of the alley I moved to the right, close to one pole thinking IL needed the extra wide turn to get out and tail slapped ALMOST into the pole on the right as I turned left. Didn't hit as I ALWAYS watch the trailer closely when making tight maneuvers and spotted the problem but I had one HECK of a time maneuvering back OUT of the situation. On the PLUS side, I did make a couple of new friends who were HOPING to use the street that I had entirely blocked for about 15 minutes Chocked it up to a rookie mistake made by someone WAY to experienced to use it as an excuse.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Big Ray

??

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/11 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a Keystone

2011 Rockwood 8314BSS Signature
2013 Ram 3500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab DRW with the 6.7 Cummins

12thgenusa

Lakewood, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/11 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP... What's yours?

Dave & Gean

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7
2009 Cougar 245RKS
370 watts ET solar
Rogue 3024 MPPT controller
440 Ah battery bank
ProWatt 2000 inverter
100% LED lighting

indigoroads

La Quinta, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/11 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does stacking two dishes in the microwave count? I put the baked beans on top of the corn because both dishes wouldn't fit side by side. But when I took the beans out, the dish was so high up it tilted over and spilled. On me. On the stove. IN the stove. On the floor. Baked beans shot across the galley and onto the screen door. Sticky, awful mess. Could have been worse, I could have been badly burned. I only got a little burn on my arm.

Me 'n Rover

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Worst RV mistake?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS