Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Pulling 40' toy hauler

Posted By: Harvey Roof on 07/21/11 03:07pm

Is anyone using a Ford F350 Diesel for pulling a triple axle? If so, how does the 350 handle the load for stopping. I'm not worried about pulling but interested in feedback regarding stability and stopping. Thanks

Posted By: markie mark on 07/21/11 03:42pm

Using an '06 SRW to pull Raptor 3612 (37.5')
It does the job, no problem.
Pulling something that big with anything I'm going to adjust my speed, distance etc.

06 F350 PSD CC FX4
06 Raptor 3612
00 YZ426, 02 YZ250, 02 KX85, 05 CRF70, 07 CRF50
06 Rhino 660

Member CORVA, AMA, ASA, BlueRibbon Coalition, AAPL

Posted By: boiledcrabs on 07/21/11 03:59pm

You'll have no trouble as long as the truck and trailer brakes are in good condition and everything is working well. I've towed heavier loads than that with both Ford and Chevy one tons. The most important thing is driving safe and keeping the brakes in excellent condition. Anytime you go to stop just pretend like your trailer brakes failed and you'll be stopping only with the truck. That way you will be able to stop in the event they fail. And brakes can fail. I've lived that experience more than a few times.

Posted By: Doughboy12 on 07/21/11 03:42pm

Funny thing about triple axle trailers...the trailer brakes stop the trailer.

Posted By: lawnspecialties on 07/21/11 04:06pm

This setup worked extremely well for me. The 350 pulled and stopped the 44' Cyclone quite easily. Contrary to popular belief, it was very stable. Our very first trip, we got caught up in a wicked storm on the interstate for 35 miles. No sway or anything in the wind.

I did recently sell it and get a 450. The only real reason was because the pin weight was well overweight for the rear axle rating of the truck. But pulling and stopping was no problem at all.

We hope to hit Disney in January. I'll blow the horn as we pass through.

Posted By: stejoh on 07/21/11 03:53pm

I have a fuzion 412 touring edition 3. Its 41 ft long and dry weight is right at 14000. I have a f350 crew cab short bed that I pull it with. I myself have NO problems stopping the trailer. I live in the NW part of colorado and there is nothing flat around here. I just take it easy and have no problems. I put my tow/haul on going down hill and set my trailer breaks at 9.

Posted By: nayther on 07/21/11 08:08pm

cwill925 wrote:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Can't agree with you more, just most of us don't have the $$$$ to buy a MDT to just tow the TH. At that point I'd buy a class A and appropriate tow'd and/or enclosed trailer. That's juts MHO.

To the OP, pay careful attention to all the weight ratings of your truck and how you load the trailer. Stay within your limits, drive accordingly and you'll be fine.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
'06 3005 Rage'n Falcon

Posted By: Badhabt on 07/21/11 04:20pm

I've got an 06 dually long bed pulling aa raptor 3612 ...no problems at all for stopping. And definately no problems in stability with the dually. Had a recent blowout and lost my middle set of brakes...didn't notice any difference in braking ability.

06 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Dually Tow Boss
07 Raptor 3612DS
92 Banshee - sons now
06 YZF450 50th Anniv Edition - sons too
06 Raptor 700R 50th Anniv Edition - mine
06 Wolverine 450 - wifes
07 Wolverine 450 SE - my other toy

Posted By: crazybanshee on 07/21/11 10:10pm

cwill925 no matter how many times we cover this topic you never tell them what they want to hear.

2007 Volvo VNL780
2008 Cyclone 4012 Full Throttle
Honda 400EX
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 250EX
08 Polaris RZR
09 Polaris RZR LE
Polaris Outlaw 50
Pics

Posted By: YnotTurbo on 07/21/11 06:34pm

I think the M2 would look good hooked onto my fiver...

Navy Chief (Ret.)Still working. 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie w/6.7 High Output, 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/YnotTurbo/2012RamCamper.jpg

Posted By: cwill925 on 07/21/11 05:42pm

I used to pull my Fuzion 362 with an F-350, I too said it was a good set-up, no problem, I think I even wrote once "can't tell the trailer is back there". I don’t know if it was pride, denial or something else, but I was wrong. The F-350 will not sufficiently stop the rig in the event of trailer brake failure. Argue all you want, but I experienced it. I still have the F-350, I really like it and it’s my daily driver, but it is retired from RV towing. It does pull an equipment trailer around town, but not the toy hauler. The current tow vehicle is a Freightliner M2-112 with brakes that do handle the trailer without brakes, tested and proven. I feel safe on the road now.

* This post was edited 07/21/11 05:59pm by cwill925 *

2008 Fuzion 362
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2 Harley's, 1 Suzuki Scooter, 1 Smart Car

Posted By: cwill925 on 07/21/11 06:43pm

lawnspecialties wrote: "Trailer brake failure is a slightly different issue. We're talking about typical starting, driving, and stopping."

Sorry I missed the OP's comment about "typical" stopping. Oh wait, he didn't specify what type of stopping conditions. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Posted By: 4*phun*2 on 07/21/11 06:36pm

My retired F350 DRW pulled and stopped our TH just fine.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

Posted By: lawnspecialties on 07/21/11 06:35pm

cwill925 wrote:

I used to pull my Fuzion 362 with an F-350, I too said it was a good set-up, no problem, I think I even wrote once "can't tell the trailer is back there". I don’t know if it was pride, denial or something else, but I was wrong. The F-350 will not sufficiently stop the rig in the event of trailer brake failure. Argue all you want, but I experienced it. I still have the F-350, I really like it and it’s my daily driver, but it is retired from RV towing. It does pull an equipment trailer around town, but not the toy hauler. The current tow vehicle is a Freightliner M2-112 with brakes that do handle the trailer without brakes, tested and proven. I feel safe on the road now.

Trailer brake failure is a slightly different issue. We're talking about typical starting, driving, and stopping.

My new F450 has ginormous brakes. But we recently had an issue with the new Cyclone's brakes and we got into a bad, hard braking situation. It took some fancy driving not to mow over that van full of Mexicans (Yes, I said that. Its true).

I had the F450's brake pedal to the floor and the whole rig slowed down fairly well but not nearly like it would have when everything was working properly.

Posted By: tworootless on 07/22/11 12:05pm

Had a friend once. Told me how confident he felt having his 40' toy hauler push his F250 down the highway. Haven't heard from the old guy in years. Hmmmm. . .

Posted By: lincster on 07/21/11 11:56pm

I have a F350 dually that I tow my 41' Warrior with. I can tell it is back there for sure, but the whole set up is very stable. Cross winds don't bother me, passing semis don't bother me. I love my setup.

2012 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Posted By: carringb on 07/22/11 03:34pm

Doughboy12 wrote:

Funny thing about triple axle trailers...the trailer brakes stop the trailer.

Not all the time. Reliable brakes on my weekend warrior were a chronic problem. The wiring was prone to chaffing, so that would cause shorts. I also had the brake shoes blow apart on an axle one time.

Point is.... I would not pull a trailer that I could not stop without trailer brakes, because eventually there will be a situation where they won't work.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

Posted By: nayther on 07/22/11 04:52pm

Forgot to plug mine in once but the Duramax slowed it down just fine coming down 395 to turn on Garlock (about 5% grade from 55 to 25).

Oh and that's with 177k on THE ORIGINAL BRAKES!

Guess I've got enough truck huh?

Posted By: nayther on 07/22/11 08:47am

Sooner Schooner wrote:

The OP, Harvey, has a Ford F-250 and I believe the question is whether the dually is that much better than his F-250. Are the F-250 people confortable pulling a 40'?

His OP says nothing about an F-250, where did you get that?

Posted By: greyhd on 07/22/11 03:04am

Towing a 42' Toyhauler with a dually also. Tows great, very stable. Feels very similar pulling a shorter trailer.

Posted By: MadMav on 07/22/11 07:32pm

I have pulled a 15.5k 40' toy hauler on an '03 2500hd DMax. Towed decent....cept in the wind, or turning on a downhill curve or passing trucks on two lane roads. No problems with the current DRW setup.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

Posted By: Sooner Schooner on 07/22/11 07:24am

The OP, Harvey, has a Ford F-250 and I believe the question is whether the dually is that much better than his F-250. Are the F-250 people confortable pulling a 40'?

2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

Posted By: Sooner Schooner on 07/23/11 07:42am

nayther wrote:

Sooner Schooner wrote:

His OP says nothing about an F-250, where did you get that?

We are very good friends, we talk nearly everyday by phone.

* This post was edited 07/24/11 06:59am by Sooner Schooner *

Posted By: cwill925 on 07/22/11 10:39am

crazybanshee wrote:

cwill925 no matter how many times we cover this topic you never tell them what they want to hear.

Yes, I know... Maybe I should give up.

Posted By: Doughboy12 on 07/22/11 11:04am

cwill925 wrote:

crazybanshee wrote:

Yes, I know... Maybe I should give up.

Please don't give up but do realize that just because you want to be ubber safe and pull with a BIG RIG that not all of us can nor want to. I feel for you and know what you mean, I just can't play along and don't think that you can subjectively answer the question asked, thus you get what you got. All opinions are welcome but also understand that when you put it out there, at least one person will disagree…I still can’t believe the sky is not purple…lol Cheers

Posted By: lawnspecialties on 07/22/11 11:56am

cwill925 wrote:

lawnspecialties wrote: "Trailer brake failure is a slightly different issue. We're talking about typical starting, driving, and stopping."

Sorry I missed the OP's comment about "typical" stopping. Oh wait, he didn't specify what type of stopping conditions. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Don't get me wrong. What you use to pull your 5er is the ultimate situation. But your logic doesn't even match up to the millions of tractor trailers on the road today. I used to drive a tractor-trailer for Pepsi. I promise you, if the trailer brakes failed, it would be quite difficult to stop the rig in a hard braking situation. Does that mean we need class 10, 11, or 12 tractors in America now?

In summary, what you have is great but in most people's circumstances, overkill. If I had my choice of a tractor like yours or a well-suited dually, I'll take the dually. It'll do the job very well and much more when the TH is at home.

Sounds to me like we're both happy with what we have.

Posted By: christopherglenn on 07/22/11 10:19am

I wouldn't worry to much about losing the trailer brakes. What is you hit a piece of debris on teh road and it damages the rear brakeline on the TV, you loose all the rear brakes on the TV and it has a hard time stopping itself, let alone a trailer. ******happens, Even a freightliner will cream a car if it gets cut off, and the car slams on the brakes. I would concentrate on proper maintance more then What Ifs...

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Posted By: Rocky7 on 07/22/11 09:32am

I've pulled two 40' toy haulers with Dodge 3500's. One was a single axle truck. While it did the job for a while, I wouldn't do it again. I happened to have the truck when I bought the trailer. I'm now pulling a Fuzion 405 with a chipped 2008 Dodge 3500 dually and the only time I wish for more power is in the mountains (the Rockies, not some big hills somewhere).

What I've found is that the issue is more about the transmission than the engine. The single axle particularly heated the tranny on long uphill pulls. The chipped dually not so much, but still every now and then it'll get just into the warning range, which have set at 230ºF, I believe. (I have an Edge with a monitor so I know exactly what my trans temp is.) On flat stuff, my tranny holds around 150-170ºF. My Dodge has the 3.73 axles. My next truck will be 4.10 because that will take some torque off the transmission on those long uphills. A wee drop in mileage doesn't concern me as I don't pull faster than 65 mph and usually more like 55-60.

As for being able to stop a loaded 40' triple axle anytime soon if your trailer brakes fail - ain't gonna happen. That's why you have trailer brakes.

My GCVW is a tad high at around 23k (weighed with no water and no quad) whereas the factory spec is 21k. That means something to a point, but it's also part of the same thinking that puts warning labels on extension cords. It's a guide but it's not gospel and the ultimate determiner is how your rig handles, travels, stops, climbs and descends.

An engine brake is a real, real nice thing with a big trailer and the Dodge has a good one.

You asked about stability. The dually is much better. Part of the reason, I think, is that it is happier with that much weight in the box than the single axle was.

Haven't owned a Ford or GM for years so I have no comment one way or another on those tow vehicles but expect they're quite competent, too, with similar configuration.

God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Posted By: tgreening on 07/22/11 08:34am

Sooner Schooner wrote:

Hehe. A lot of folks are comfortable pulling anything they can hook up, get moving, and manage to stop, whatever the F-xxx.

2008 Ford F-450 "Lil Beasty"
2011 Heartland 3950 "Big Beasty"
1970 DW Made in Japan "Big Bossy"
2005 DD Made in Ohio "Big Pain"
2007 DD Made in Ohio "Lil Pain"
2004 GR Bahzu the dog "Big Sissy"
2010 Weim Mobo the dog "Fast Spaz"

Posted By: Steve O Reno on 07/22/11 07:23am

I too have a 40' plus TH pulling with a daully and it pulls adequate and seems stable enough. I also agree that under normal driving with EXTRA stopping distance added that it will stop. I have to differ in my opinion that in a emergency or panic stop it will not stop in time. I also think that a trailer brake failure combined with a panic stop will have tragic results. I have been looking at a medium or heavy duty truck and can find something nice for less than the cost of a late model dually. 20 grand can buy a nice class 8 truck set up with RV plates and auto shift. It WILL stop the trailer and get comparable mileage.

This site has more info than one can digest about this type of truck
http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32

look towards the top and a sticky thread about HDT resources

Posted By: lincster on 07/28/11 11:14am

smashedheadcat wrote:

lincster wrote:

Probably did not see much difference cause the newer F450's are no better than a F250/350. I think Furd dropped the ball on the current F450.
Now, get a 2008-2010 F450, there you will say there is a night and day difference from your F250.

For me, all I could ever ask for when towing heavy is that the trailer does not sway, I can stop it in a hurry if I need to, and it doesn't buck when I hit a small bump in the road. Both trucks hit the wickets for me. I'm sure a 2008 F450 would do the job as well.

So if any of these trucks can accomplish the task comfortably, why get an 08 F450 that gets 10mpg empty and 6.5 when towing? My 250 got 15mpg empty and around 7mpg while towing and the new 450 gets 15.5 empty and 10 mpg towing.

Because the 08 F450 is a real mans truck.

Posted By: lincster on 07/27/11 04:11pm

smashedheadcat wrote:

I pulled my 15K lb Fuzion 382 with a bagged '08 F-250 for 3 years and always thought it did fine. Very stable/no swaying, stopped easily and had plenty of power. I recently upgraded to a 2011 F450 and honestly don't notice much difference. Of course, the F450 does phenominal, but I thought my F250 did too. My triple axle 5th wheel pulls every bit as nice as my 26 ft car trailer, possibly even smoother with either truck.

Probably did not see much difference cause the newer F450's are no better than a F250/350. I think Furd dropped the ball on the current F450.
Now, get a 2008-2010 F450, there you will say there is a night and day difference from your F250.

Posted By: lincster on 03/21/12 01:44pm

DavidM49 wrote:

I pull my raptor with a 2008 F350 DRW with the tow boss feature and have no issues at all with stablity or typical stopping. Would not pull my TH with anything less though. The electric brakes obviously play a large role in getting the TH to slow down.

Didn't think Ford offered the Tow Boss feature in 2008. What gears do you have?

Posted By: lincster on 03/21/12 09:56pm

Newer F450's, 2011 and up are no better than a F350. Wide track front end is about all you get.

Posted By: lincster on 03/22/12 04:26pm

I had 4.30 gears in my last F350 and they did hold overdrive nice, but man, 2500rpm at 75mph..... wow that motor was spinning.

I've done a u turn in a 450, I didn't feel $6000 worth of excitment in my crotch, so no thanks.

Posted By: joebedford on 03/28/12 06:32am

lincster wrote:

Newer F450's, 2011 and up are no better than a F350. Wide track front end is about all you get.
I know Ford lumps the 450 in with the rest of their light trucks but it seems to have a significantly higher GCWR. There must be something different.

I really like my Chev.

Posted By: GRNT on 07/24/11 04:13pm

I think there is another variable that should be discussed. Over the road haulers are usually trained professionals that have to go through training in order to get a CDL. Part of that training is what to do in various emergency situations, IE failed brakes. Braking or lack of is probably the foremost cause of accidents with Trucks. And yet they go through training to know what to do. The RV weekend warriors (no pun intended) that are on the road with with 40 foot 5th wheel TH are equivalent many times to the weight as an over the road 40 foot box trailer loaded with say plastic widgets. And yet those people don't have to have CDL's or any special training in order to pull that load. Commercial box trailers are very thin skinned trailers built to haul cargo. Toy haulers are lets say medium skinned trailers (depending on manuf.) hauling a******load of stuff like gas, toys, food, slides
, etc. etc. Most 40 foot TH's with those loads will exceed 20K lbs. and can be more in the 22K range. That is in the commercial weight range for hauling. Now you haven't even added the tractor yet. So I simply pose this question of commom sense to those that feel their F350 or Dodge 3500 or the Duramax are adequate. Why do you think that there are so many semi HDT's are on the road if one of the 1 ton dually's could haul that load? Hum? Maybe because there just isn't enough breaks to stop it? and that the laws prohibit it and morally it is a crime to put others on the road in danger of the negligence that would be taking place?
There are alternatives. Buy the trailer that your truck is meant to haul or buy a large enough motorhome to pull the trailer that will haul all your crap. Or buy the truck that will haul the trailer you want with all your******in it.
I chose the legal and moral way when I went to 40ft, 22K lbs of trailer when loaded full of my crap.

2007 40foot(really 41 actual measurement) KZ Escalade with 3 slides and Generator. 16,300lbs dry (weighted on way home from Lot new). From 20,500lbs to 22,000lbs when all the******is in it. (Measured on the road a couple of times at truck stop scales.)

2007 Freightliner M2 at 11K Lbs w/fuel etc. (Scale weight)

22K lb trailer + 11K loaded Lb truck = 33K lbs. Legal GVWR

Alternative. 22K lb trailer + 9K lb dually PU loaded = 31K lbs. Illegal GVWR.

I've made it easy here. Instead of saying "you do the math," I did it for you.

Just my opinion and I know what it's worth.

P.S. I'd never trade my ride in my air seats, air ride cab, air ride rear suspension and air 5th wheel hitch for yours. Been there done that. NOOOO Thanks.

* This post was edited 07/25/11 10:22am by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: Matthew_B on 07/28/11 08:04pm

lawnspecialties wrote:

Don't get me wrong. What you use to pull your 5er is the ultimate situation. But your logic doesn't even match up to the millions of tractor trailers on the road today. I used to drive a tractor-trailer for Pepsi. I promise you, if the trailer brakes failed, it would be quite difficult to stop the rig in a hard braking situation. Does that mean we need class 10, 11, or 12 tractors in America now?

There is the difference in that for air brakes, nearly all failure modes result in a brake application instead of no brakes.

What your point does bring up is that what we really need are trailer brakes that apply on a power failure for RVs.

Posted By: Matthew_B on 07/28/11 08:08pm

GRNT wrote:

Alternative. 22K lb trailer + 9K lb dually PU loaded = 31K lbs. Illegal GVWR.

Illegal where? Please cite a law stating that you must stay within GCWR for a RV.

Posted By: sptrucksbyed on 07/24/11 10:28pm

I tow a 43' Raptor 4014 with my 2005 ford 350 4DR SRW and have no problems doing it !!!!!

2012 Ford F-350 DRW CC 4x4
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2 Yamaha Raptors
2 Yamaha Banshees
2011 RZRS
2011 RZR XP900

Posted By: nwcutie on 07/25/11 01:04pm

My 40 foot Adrenaline weighs about 18000 lbs when its fully loaded. We giggle about tripping the "Truck must exit" signs.

That said, I towed it for 2.5 years with a 1998 Chevy 454 gas cc dually. We went from Washington to South Dakota, up and down Strawberry Hill near Lead and all over. I had an aftermarket brake controller in the pickup. One day I didn't like the way my truck stopped and took it in. The brakes had heat stress cracks nearly all the way through - yikes!

Now I tow with an F350 cc diesel dually with the tow-boss. Much nicer - the engine braking, the integrated trailer brake controller makes me feel more confident.

USAA won't insure an F450 on my policy.

I did take the trailer in to have the trailer brakes checked it is 5.5 years old. When you pull such a load its important to check the brakes on the truck and the trailer both. Have fun!

Children are unpredictable. You never know how high up the wall they're going to drive you

2006 F350 King Ranch CC Dually
a really, really big 2006 Adrenaline 400DS
kids, quads, and a dog - life is great

Posted By: nwcutie on 03/27/12 09:48pm

I have a 40 foot trailer (really 42.5") When I bought it, I pulled it with a 1998 Chevrolet 454 1 ton dually. I thought it was the sh*t after having a SRW and a 28 footer bumper pull. I towed from WA to SD, ID, OR, and back.

Then after finding out my brakes had heat cracks all the way through (plus getting tired of 4 mpg while towing) I got the the diesel.

I love towing with it and never feel unsafe.

That said, the DH and I are looking at smaller 5th wheel toyhaulers as we go from a family of 6 (sometimes 7) to a family of 3.

Back to OP's question - there is no comparison between a SRW and DRW for towing. Trust me!

Posted By: tj548 on 07/28/11 09:52am

Here's a look at what I pull. The trailer can be 18,000 lbs if I let it get that heavy. I'm usually at 16 - 17k and the Ford pulls it amazingly well. I think dually's are awesome but not practical for me. The trailer is a Holiday Rambler 38 foot that measures 39' 11" external.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-BaMUA0c_E

TV: 2011 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel
TH: 07 Next Level 38CKS
2010 Polaris RZR
2 Polaris ATV's
1 Yamaha Enduro

Posted By: DavidM49 on 07/29/11 12:19pm

I pull my raptor with a 2008 F350 DRW with the tow boss feature and have no issues at all with stablity or typical stopping. Would not pull my TH with anything less though. The electric brakes obviously play a large role in getting the TH to slow down.

Big Dave
2008 F350 Superduty 6.4 TD "Bumbles"
2007 Raptor 3814
2004 Sportsman 700 EFI
2006 YZ125 with 144 Athena Big Bore kit
2008 YZ 85 Supermini 112 Athena Big Bore Kit
2012 YZ250F
2008 KLX450R (Hulk)
2004 DRZ125 pit bike
2 Boys one speed

Posted By: dirtbag3 on 07/30/11 07:53am

I tow a Rescue trailer every now and again. Its plugs is finicky at best. At times I will check ther rear veiw and th lights will be out. I'm lazy at times, and traffic light so I dont bother to pull over and push/wiggle plug until I really have to.
Moral- My duallie does fine with its 12-13k.(Not 17k but still heavy) If properly done you can stop your load, just takes a little tlc. Don't over drive your surroundings.
MDT are just not feasible for most.

Posted By: kofire on 07/25/11 12:18pm

I would imagine thAt probably 95% of towers across the USA tow that size trailer with f250s, f350s and f450s. I have rarely heard of any accidents with any of them. Actually I have never hard of any accidents at all. If you choose to buy a mdt or larger that is up to you but statistically speaking you really don't need one. There are much more important things to worry about when your just driving and carrying on in your day to day life. Just because you go ridiculously overkill does not make you or your rig safe. There are far to many people who tow with regular size trucks and have never been involved in an accident to justify getting A mdt or bigger. Not everyone can afford a monster like that nor can they justify it, nor is it needed.

Posted By: lawnspecialties on 07/25/11 09:24am

rock-rod wrote:

Wow. A thread where even 1 ton dually trucks are getting bashed.

We just can't win.

Posted By: christopherglenn on 03/24/12 10:45pm

If your truck has enough power to pull a hill in 6th, you are burning alot of extra fuel on the flats.

Posted By: IOWASTROKER on 03/21/12 08:33pm

First, didn't realize the Cyclone Full Throttle was 44 feet long..and here I thought our 3912 Cyclone (41 feet long)was really long. Love the bed arrangement in the Full Throttle.
We sold our F350 and went with DRW F450 cuz of the brakes...but as everyone has said: IF your trailer brakes AND controller are working fine, you probably are OK.
The newer F450 does NOT have the same brakes as our 2008 CC 4X4. CO. mountains are the real test))

Posted By: OldGreaser on 03/22/12 07:00am

Pulling a 41 ft triple axle trailer at 18000 lbs GVWR with a 2011 F350 duallie. We went all over the Rockies last year with no handling or braking problems whatsoever.

Posted By: OldGreaser on 03/28/12 07:26am

Per the 2011 brochure, you get larger brakes & shorter gearing.

Posted By: rock-rod on 07/24/11 07:43pm

2003 Ram 2500 QC HO 6 spd. Pacbrake, Ride Rite bags, TST CR47, Hankook Dynapro ATMs (285/70-17s)
Reese 18k Signature Series with manual slide
2008 Keystone Fuzion 382 Toy Hauler
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80

Posted By: smashedheadcat on 07/27/11 02:26pm

I pulled my 15K lb Fuzion 382 with a bagged '08 F-250 for 3 years and always thought it did fine. Very stable/no swaying, stopped easily and had plenty of power. I recently upgraded to a 2011 F450 and honestly don't notice much difference. Of course, the F450 does phenominal, but I thought my F250 did too. My triple axle 5th wheel pulls every bit as nice as my 26 ft car trailer, possibly even smoother with either truck.

Posted By: smashedheadcat on 07/28/11 09:17am

lincster wrote:

For me, all I could ever ask for when towing heavy is that the trailer does not sway, I can stop it in a hurry if I need to, and it doesn't buck when I hit a small bump in the road. Both trucks hit the wickets for me. I'm sure a 2008 F450 would do the job as well.

So if any of these trucks can accomplish the task comfortably, why get an 08 F450 that gets 10mpg empty and 6.5 when towing? My 250 got 15mpg empty and around 7mpg while towing and the new 450 gets 15.5 empty and 10 mpg towing.

Posted By: smashedheadcat on 07/29/11 08:55am

lincster wrote:

Because the 08 F450 is a real mans truck.

It is definitely a real man's truck, but it doesn't make much sense to own one to tow a 15,000 lb trailer. There are plenty of capable, more efficient options out there to choose from.

Posted By: mrxlh on 03/19/12 05:22pm

I tow a Raptor 4014LEV with a 08 F350 dually. Is it enough truck to stop it if the trailer brakes fail? You betcha, rule 1 when driving anything is to not get yourself into a situation where you have to rely on the weak link, which is the trailer brakes.

The tow command system on the Ford is one of the many reasons I am sold on Ford trucks. Leave it in tow haul and drive like your supposed too, and you'll get 177,000 miles out of your brakes like Nayther did.

You can put asbestos brake pads on an 18 wheeler with fresh cut drums, if a car pulls out in front of you in less than the minimum stopping distance, your hitting it, class 8, 10, 12, 100, it aint going to make any difference.

Keeping yourself from getting into these situations is what makes the difference. Not overcompensating on a tow vehicle, not backed by practical driving skills or abilities.

Ryan

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES

Posted By: troy.johnsen on 03/21/12 09:59am

kofire wrote:

I would imagine thAt probably 95% of towers across the USA tow that size trailer with f250s, f350s and f450s. I have rarely heard of any accidents with any of them. Actually I have never hard of any accidents at all. If you choose to buy a mdt or larger that is up to you but statistically speaking you really don't need one. There are much more important things to worry about when your just driving and carrying on in your day to day life. Just because you go ridiculously overkill does not make you or your rig safe. There are far to many people who tow with regular size trucks and have never been involved in an accident to justify getting A mdt or bigger. Not everyone can afford a monster like that nor can they justify it, nor is it needed.

I couldn't agree with you more. It is obnoxious to me when the guy who overpaid for a rig that he does not need gets on here and tells everyone that doesn't have the same ridiculous tow vehicle that he is an irresponsible jerk. Get over yourself! Show me news headlines with all the incidents of collisions caused by us folks with 2500 or 3500 vehicles. Oh wait, you can't, then get off of your high horse. I don't want your Frieghtliner. I can't get it into the places I camp and I don't want to drive it to the grocery store unloaded. But if it makes you feel better please take a moment to pat yourself on the back.....feel better, good. Now you can continue to drive past the 95% of RV owners on the road with normal TV's and ridicule us, but kindly keep it to yourself.

Posted By: Ric Flair on 03/19/12 10:42am

YnotTurbo wrote:

I think the M2 would look good hooked onto my fiver...

Exactly!

2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Posted By: Roadcruiser on 07/24/11 05:47pm

I own an F350 Diesel SRW and 35' Crossforce toyhauler. I've pulled it for four years. April this year I flew to Casa Grande, AZ to drive my friend home, another story. He has a 40' Excel Wild Cargo with his one ton Chevy DRW. I now know the difference between SWR and DRW. My rig weighs in at around 9,500 to 10,000 loaded. His is considerably more. Anybody who tells you a SRW unit is great on a 40' toyhauler obviously does not have any first hand experience showing the difference. I was amazed at the night and day difference between my small rig and his huge over-loaded rig and the handling improvement with DRW. Stability in wind and curves and panic stops is far superior to an SWR vehicle. I am looking at updating to a 40' rig and I can tell you for sure I will be updating to DRW drive also.

Posted By: SmittysRV on 03/17/12 05:10pm

sptrucksbyed wrote:

I tow a 43' Raptor 4014 with my 2005 ford 350 4DR SRW and have no problems doing it !!!!!

Got a pic of that? We just got a Raptor 4014 and now looking toward a bigger truck. I have a F350 Diesel CC LB SRW.

Posted By: M-1028 on 03/22/12 04:06pm

I own a 2012 f450, a lot of guys say they are not much better than a 350. But if you pull big trailers as much as I do, it's worth it. The old 450's had the 110 rear axle and bigger brakes, but that 110 is a noisy sob!!
I sold my 07 drw dmax, loved the truck but hated the 3.73 gears. When pulling heavy it would not hold 6th gear unless on flat ground. It constantly shifted between 4-6 gears. The truck was tuned and had more power than my 450.
The the 450 holds 6th gear unless it's a big long hill. Lugging along at 1600 rpm's pulling big loads builds a lot of heat.
Get in a 450 and do a u turn. Worth the extra 6000 in my opinion.

Posted By: M-1028 on 03/24/12 09:35pm

Drive a normal crew cab 4x4 dually for 5 years then own a 450. I guess we use our trucks different around here or you live in a parking lot. Try pulling a 40' trailer down a small country road and maneuver into a driveway. I'm almost positive mine is under 2500 going 75.

Posted By: Y-Guy on 10/02/12 05:26pm

I did some cleaning, please cut the bickering. It's the political season, we're all seeing enough of it daily. Keep it civil, friendly and have fun.

Steve

Posted By: lincster on 09/16/12 10:39am

smashedheadcat wrote:

All I am saying is at 62mph or less (my towing speed with my 15,000lb camper) I do not notice much difference between my f250 or my f450. No swaying in crosswinds, passing big rigs etc. with either tow vehicle. I did add air bags to the 250 so eliminate the "bucking" when hitting a bump.

But there is a difference. No way can a 250 be as stable as a DRW in high cross winds.

Posted By: lincster on 09/25/12 09:27pm

No problems with the brakes on my Warrior. I can lock up all 6 tires.

Posted By: lincster on 09/26/12 02:01pm

F350 is not rated for 24,500. That is the 2011-2012 F450.
My truck weighs 8500lbs with full fuel and no passengers.
My GCWR is 30,000lbs.
30000-9000=21000lbs. I put 9000 adding in 4 adults.
That weight is a real world weight.

Posted By: lincster on 09/26/12 04:30pm

stsmark wrote:

4 adults at 125 lbs each? Thanks for the compliment.

That was directed towards my family.... nice try.

Posted By: lincster on 03/28/12 08:34am

M-1028 wrote:

Drive a normal crew cab 4x4 dually for 5 years then own a 450. I guess we use our trucks different around here or you live in a parking lot. Try pulling a 40' trailer down a small country road and maneuver into a driveway. I'm almost positive mine is under 2500 going 75.

You won't be under 2500 rpm at 75mph. I drove my truck with 4.30 gears for 7 years. I know what rpm I was at.

Posted By: lincster on 03/28/12 08:35am

joebedford wrote:

lincster wrote:

I know Ford lumps the 450 in with the rest of their light trucks but it seems to have a significantly higher GCWR. There must be something different.

I really like my Chev.

3000lbs is not significantly higher.
My current F350 has a GCWR of 30,000lbs. 450 has a GCWR of 33,000lbs, due to gearing. Both have the same GVWR.

Posted By: lincster on 04/18/12 02:20pm

Oh my..... based on dedmiston's post about tires and him being irritated, I will keep my comments about the above pix to myself.

Posted By: lincster on 04/19/12 10:37am

sin cal sd wrote:

lincster wrote:

Oh my..... based on dedmiston's post about tires and him being irritated, I will keep my comments about the above pix to myself.

Ive always looked forward to reading your responses. Love arguing them too.

HAHA. I know you do.... as do a few others. Its all good.

Posted By: lincster on 09/12/12 09:15am

M-1028 wrote:

lincster wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

You won't be under 2500 rpm at 75mph. I drove my truck with 4.30 gears for 7 years. I know what rpm I was at.

The 11 and later trucks are geared different in the transmission, I'll take a pic at 75 and prove it to you if you'd like?

I would like to see that, please take a pix.

I have 3.73 gears in my 2012 and I am turning the EXACT same RPM at 75 as I did in my 2004 that had 3.73 gears.

Posted By: lincster on 09/12/12 01:38pm

smashedheadcat wrote:

Does anyone tow their rig at 75mph?

All the time. Speed limit in AZ on certain freeways is 75mph.

Posted By: lincster on 09/12/12 02:52pm

Cool, thanks for taking the pix.

Posted By: lincster on 09/14/12 08:19am

smashedheadcat wrote:

lincster wrote:

smashedheadcat wrote:

Cool deal. Maybe I just don't see the difference between a F250 and my new F450 because I only go around 62mph.

Speed has nothing to do with the difference between a F250 and a F450.

Posted By: lincster on 09/14/12 08:19am

joebedford wrote:

I hope none of you guys running at 75mph or over are running trailer tires.

Heck no!!!!! XPS Ribs all the way for me.

Posted By: lincster on 09/14/12 01:53pm

smashedheadcat wrote:

lincster wrote:

Hypothetically, at 5mph, would an f450 be more stable or stop better than a f250?

I'm pretty confident nobody would be able to tell a difference. I would think that the f450 would be "better" but the performance gap would too narrow to feel. I would imagine as speed increases, that performance gap would increase to the point to where the differences are obvious. I pulled my fuzion 382 for a few years with an 08 f250 and I thought it did a great job. Very stable, stopped well and had plenty of power. Last year I decided to upgrade trucks and went with an f450. Honestly, I can't tell much difference. There is a power difference but both tv's handled this 15,000 lb trailer quite well.

The reason for my comment or question about speed vs stability was suggesting that possibly my slower tow speed (62mph max) may be slow enough to keep the performance gap narrow enough to where there are no obvious differences in feel. I would also imagine that I would be in for a white knuckle ride towing with the 250 at 75mph but possibly less so with the 450.

Would you be able to "feel" a difference in braking between a F250 and F450? For 2011-2012, probably not.
At 5mph, both trucks would "feel" the same, but 5mph is kind of silly to talk about.
65mph, F450 will be much more stable than a F250 say in cross winds on the freeway pulling a 15,000lb 5th wheel. Don't know how anyone could argue that point.
I am no way feeling "white knuckle" when I tow at 75mph. I am rock solid, both my current truck and my 06 Dually that I had before this one.

Posted By: joebedford on 04/19/12 08:48am

Harvey Roof wrote:

Is anyone using a Ford F350 Diesel for pulling a triple axle? If so, how does the 350 handle the load for stopping. I'm not worried about pulling but interested in feedback regarding stability and stopping. Thanks

Doesn't matter what brand - the older the truck the less capable they are (stock). My 2004 Ram (not stock) was not up to the task of hauling my Voltage. On the flat, the brakes were very good. In the hills west of Globe AZ I had a brake controller failure and came THIS CLOSE to taking a runaway ramp. That was with the old trailer that was 3500lbs lighter than my Voltage. My Chev is much more capable than the Dodge, not because of the brand but because it's a 2011 not a 2004 model.

What year is your Ford and does it have all heavy duty towing options?

* This post was edited 04/19/12 09:34am by joebedford *

Posted By: joebedford on 09/14/12 06:33am

I hope none of you guys running at 75mph or over are running trailer tires.

Posted By: steiny93 on 09/26/12 08:08am

I think these threads are funny; OP asks how the 350's handle a load right at the limit of their posted capability.
Some say "awesome" others say "not well" bashing ensues.

I think the decision comes down to how far towards the edge of the published towing limit do you want to be. Against this question the OP has gotten lots of feedback but not many facts for data.

I went through this exact question in the spring; traded a tandem axle montana for a triple axle toyhauler. I decided to buy a class 8 volvo to replace the gmc 2500 due to the extra weight and our desire to spend more time in the mountains. (secretly i just wanted one so I bought it)

So I've pulled our cyclone with both rigs; is there a difference "absolutely" do I think its "negligent" to drive down the road with my 2500, no. But is it more calm and relaxing to take the volvo; absolutely! And its freaken huge!

so in my head
drive what you want; the bigger the truck the better the stopping, but to tread into the "negligence" territory is pretty far fetched
IMHO

2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

Posted By: I'm Rick James on 09/26/12 08:28am

RVpullinGuy wrote:

Emphatically YES, those with an F350 Dually and Duramax 3500 Dually can legally and MORALLY -- and with a clear conscience -- pull a 40' toy hauler that weighs 22k lbs.

Ford F350 Dually tow ratings: 24,500 lbs
Chevrolet Duramax 3500 Dually tow ratings: 22,500

Just because you can afford to have a 450 or 550 or whatever it is doesn't mean others can't legally and morally use their 1 ton dually to SAFELY pull a 40' toy hauler.

Where is the 24,500lb tow rating for the F350 Link?

Posted By: fly-boy on 04/18/12 01:54pm

I pulled my old triple axle TH with an F350 SRW for several years and I was very comfortable with the load. With the jeep in the back it was 18k loaded and I hauled it all over Baja...

Pull the current rig (47 feet/22k loaded) with my 3500 and have no issues. I think all of the current 3500 trucks are very capable.

2012 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4x4
2009 WW HKD with a big garage
A few toys

Posted By: RickSo on 09/26/12 10:04am

I think the 24,500 rating is for the 2012 F-450.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/towing/

Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT
2008 BMW R1200GS

Posted By: RickSo on 09/26/12 10:19pm

RVpullinGuy wrote:

Great catch lincster and Rickso on my mistake about the Ford F350 tow ratings. You are correct, I incorrectly stated the tow rating of the 2012 F350 as 24,500 lbs... when it is in fact 22,600 lbs.

My main point that both the Ford F350 Dually and the Chevy Duramax 3500 Dually both have sufficient towing capacity to legally and safely pull and stop a 40' toy hauler is still true (22K lb setup). And they can and should do it with a clear conscience against the nonsense we sometimes hear on here about it being wrong and even immoral.

I don't dispute that it would be better if everyone could afford to use an MDT to tow their 40' toy hauler. But, it is neither realistic to expect that nor required to do it safely and legally.

I will just say with a clear conscience that my TH will put the F-350/3500's over the GCWR ratings of both trucks. I have had 4-1 ton dually's...Ford and GM. I would never go back to those after hauling a couple of years with a MDT through the Rockies with a heavy trailer like I am hauling. I couldn't afford not going to a MDT for safety concern alone. But, I would consider stepping up to a HDT for more power.

Rick

Posted By: RickSo on 09/27/12 09:34am

Nice looking setup! I haven't seen very many F-550's with conventional boxes on them. The 2012 spec for the F-550 is 35,000-pound GCWR. If your trailer is 21K loaded and truck is 10K loaded you would have 4k of room before hitting the max GCWR if going by the 2012 specs for the F-550.

Posted By: RickSo on 09/27/12 10:33am

stsmark,
Yeah those are beautiful units and heavy.....I looked at this unit but found just to many strange design elements(table placement, fridge access, no rear side door, just didn't fit our needs. I do think that DRV has some of the nicest trim levels out there.

Rick

Posted By: RickSo on 09/27/12 07:38pm

Mark,

The factory spec for the trailer 21,000 GVWR with the stock 18K rated axles. But, I upgraded to 7K axles/disc brakes/Michelin 17.5" load "J" tires. They rate it at 24K with the upgrade.

Posted By: sptrucksbyed on 09/13/12 07:53pm

smashedheadcat wrote:

Anytime i can go faster than the BS 55 in California i do. I'm in Idaho at this time and loving the 75 miles per hr.

Posted By: sin cal sd on 04/19/12 09:45am

lincster wrote:

Ive always looked forward to reading your responses. Love arguing them too.

08 F-250 Lariat 4x4 CC
Wife and 2 Little Boys

Posted By: nwcutie on 09/15/12 10:51pm

I have been towing my 2006 Adrenaline 400DS (42 feet I think) for 6 and a half years now. First with a 1998 Chevy 454 Dually gasser. I towed it to the Black Hills and back and the Oregon dunes and back a bunch and heat cracked the brakes, but luckily I caught it before anything happened (although the les schwab guys kind of laughed when I came in and said my brakes felt squishy.)

Now I tow with a 2006 Ford F350 King Ranch dually 6 leaker diesel and it is night and day. The p/u came with the tow boss package which is nice. I had my rv plug (in the bed of the truck) shake out on a really rough road and the truck still stopped the trailer just fine (wouldn't want to do that all the time though!!!)

Posted By: RVpullinGuy on 09/25/12 09:57pm

GRNT wrote:

Most 40 foot TH's with those loads will exceed 20K lbs. and can be more in the 22K range. So I simply pose this question of commom sense to those that feel their F350 or Dodge 3500 or the Duramax are adequate. ... and morally it is a crime to put others on the road in danger of the negligence that would be taking place?
I chose the legal and moral way when I went to 40ft, 22K lbs of trailer when loaded full of my crap.

Emphatically YES, those with an F350 Dually and Duramax 3500 Dually can legally and MORALLY -- and with a clear conscience -- pull a 40' toy hauler that weighs 22k lbs.

Just because you can afford to have a 450 or 550 or whatever it is doesn't mean others can't legally and morally use their 1 ton dually to SAFELY pull a 40' toy hauler.

RVpullinGuy
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC SB
2005 Sierra T28 Toy Hauler
YamRaptor700, KawiKFX700, (2)Hon400Ex, Hon250EX, SuzLT80

Posted By: RVpullinGuy on 09/25/12 09:19pm

carringb wrote:

Reliable brakes on my weekend warrior were a chronic problem. The wiring was prone to chaffing, so that would cause shorts. I also had the brake shoes blow apart on an axle one time.

Reliable brakes on your WW were a chronic problem? Doesn't sound like they were very reliable to me. Sounds like they were a chronic problem... just the opposite of reliable.

Posted By: RVpullinGuy on 09/26/12 05:27pm

Great catch lincster and Rickso on my mistake about the Ford F350 tow ratings. You are correct, I incorrectly stated the tow rating of the 2012 F350 as 24,500 lbs... when it is in fact 22,600 lbs.

My main point that both the Ford F350 Dually and the Chevy Duramax 3500 Dually both have sufficient towing capacity to legally and safely pull and stop a 40' toy hauler is still true (22K lb setup). And they can and should do it with a clear conscience against the nonsense we sometimes hear on here about it being wrong and even immoral.

I don't dispute that it would be better if everyone could afford to use an MDT to tow their 40' toy hauler. But, it is neither realistic to expect that nor required to do it safely and legally.

* This post was edited 09/26/12 05:34pm by RVpullinGuy *

Posted By: wayward1 on 09/12/12 07:04am

I pulled our HR 38' at just under 18K with our 2004 f350 SRW with upgraded brakes, motor, Trans, Ricksons and 19.5s. Now I do it with a IH4400 class 7 truck with 300 HP and 860 ft/lbs. would never go back for all the reasons stated! You just don’t know until you ride in a MDT or HDT towing this kind of trailer in the mountains. 65mph up hill and down with no down shifts or up shifts. Just cruise control and a 3 stage engine/exhaust break. I also understand the inconvenience of a big truck. We have our motorcycles in the TH so not a problem, besides if the weather is foul, the IH fits in the foot print of the 350 so I can park it anywhere the 350 went barring height issues. The cost of the tractor was far less than a newer 450(0) or 550(0) and cost less to insure also, matches the fuel economy of the 350 and I will get tired of it before I wear it out. It doesn't work for everyone but if you can find your way to one you will understand.

Rick and Kristi (KNR)

Posted By: 720Deere on 09/12/12 02:34pm

Basically if you were at 2500 rpm with a 5R100 transmission, you are now around 2365 at the same speed with a 6R140. That second overdrive gear is a beautiful thing!

2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

Posted By: Doughboy12 on 03/28/12 11:34am

nwcutie wrote:

Back to OP's question - there is no comparison between a SRW and DRW for towing. Trust me!

That IS a true statement, that not all of us have the means to follow through on...as our TV is the daily driver and NOT willing to have it be a DRW for whatever reason.

Posted By: Doughboy12 on 09/17/12 09:12am

h308 wrote:

I developed white knuckles towing the Raptor with my 2500 Dodge. Got wise and upgraded to a Dodge 3500 dually and the stopping power is like night and day. The dually is just a better towing machine.

Then you had the trailer brake controler set wrong...but the 3500 DRW IS a better towing machine for sure...no argument there.

Posted By: srosa on 09/26/12 08:13am

RVpullinGuy wrote:

GRNT wrote:

Most 40 foot TH's with those loads will exceed 20K lbs. and can be more in the 22K range. So I simply pose this question of commom sense to those that feel their F350 or Dodge 3500 or the Duramax are adequate. ... and morally it is a crime to put others on the road in danger of the negligence that would be taking place?

Well stated.

2007 Jayco Recon ZX F37U
2014 Excel L43TKR
2011 Ford F350 PSD CC 4X4 DRW LWB Lariat

Posted By: stsmark on 09/26/12 04:09pm

4 adults at 125 lbs each? Thanks for the compliment.

Mark, Cathy and Zoey (aka The Golden Missle)
2011 F350 CCSB 6.7 (aka Frosty)
1993 Ski Nautique Closed Bow (aka Cal)
Lasher Sport ATH
Lasher Sport BTX

Posted By: stsmark on 09/26/12 04:28pm

So I started thinking, using the 2012 F350, 13300 GVWR minus Lincsters 8500 wet wt. equals 4800 to use. Let's use FAA accepted numbers of 170 per person x 4= 680 lbs. now we have 4120 to play with. 150 for the hitch = 3970 left, now a 18000 lb Toy Hauler at 22% pin equals 3960 so we have a 10 lb. reserve.
Interesting nothing is immune.

Posted By: stsmark on 09/28/12 04:15pm

24K wow, at 22% thats a 5280 lb. pin. There is not a dually that could deal with that I'm aware of.

Posted By: stsmark on 09/27/12 05:22pm

Rick,
I was thinking of yours when I looked at it and totally understood your getting the Freightliner. Yeah yours is way cooler than that but it got me wondering what's your GVWR?

Mark

Posted By: stsmark on 09/27/12 09:58am

I saw a MobileSuites Toy Hauler on EBay from one of the big Michigan dealers. Absolutely gorgeous and 79k which I thought was very reasonable. Now the downer, 18k empty weight and 23k gross, that would be about a 5k pin. Wow

Posted By: 1Life2Live on 09/16/12 12:32pm

I developed white knuckles towing the Raptor with my 2500 Dodge. Got wise and upgraded to a Dodge 3500 dually and the stopping power is like night and day. The dually is just a better towing machine.

2011 Dodge Laramie Dually
2010 Raptor 3812 "My fulltime home"
2011 BMW 1200 GSA

Posted By: sndman7 on 09/13/12 07:48pm

Harvey Roof wrote:

Yep, as a mater of fact mine is 42' and it does a great job doing it. Our first trip was a long one, my wife and I flew from Maryland to Nebraska to pick up the rig. Along the way she said she wanted to drive I said great so we stopped at a rest area had a bite and got on the road. She said wow this thing tows great, I said just keep your distance when your braking and you'll be fine. I fell asleep and when I woke up she was doin 75 then I went back to sleep.

My wife would not tow with the Excursion and the 31' bumper pull.

2006 Titanium 36E41 MPRV
2011 F350 DRW QC King Ranch

Posted By: tgreening on 04/18/12 09:53pm

M-1028 wrote:

I own a 2012 f450, a lot of guys say they are not much better than a 350. But if you pull big trailers as much as I do, it's worth it. The old 450's had the 110 rear axle and bigger brakes, but that 110 is a noisy sob!!

Must have been something wrong with that rear end. My 110 w/4.30s doesn't make a sound.

Posted By: tgreening on 10/02/12 05:45pm

stsmark wrote:

24K wow, at 22% thats a 5280 lb. pin. There is not a dually that could deal with that I'm aware of.

I'm close. My allowed pin weight is right around 5,100 lbs.

Posted By: smashedheadcat on 09/12/12 09:57am

Posted By: smashedheadcat on 09/13/12 12:30pm

lincster wrote:

smashedheadcat wrote:

Cool deal. Maybe I just don't see the difference between a F250 and my new F450 because I only go around 62mph.

Posted By: smashedheadcat on 09/14/12 06:25pm

All I am saying is at 62mph or less (my towing speed with my 15,000lb camper) I do not notice much difference between my f250 or my f450. No swaying in crosswinds, passing big rigs etc. with either tow vehicle. I did add air bags to the 250 so eliminate the "bucking" when hitting a bump.

Posted By: smashedheadcat on 09/14/12 01:07pm

lincster wrote:

Hypothetically, at 5mph, would an f450 be more stable or stop better than a f250?

I'm pretty confident nobody would be able to tell a difference. I would think that the f450 would be "better" but the performance gap would too narrow to feel. I would imagine as speed increases, that performance gap would increase to the point to where the differences are obvious. I pulled my fuzion 382 for a few years with an 08 f250 and I thought it did a great job. Very stable, stopped well and had plenty of power. Last year I decided to upgrade trucks and went with an f450. Honestly, I can't tell much difference. There is a power difference but both tv's handled this 15,000 lb trailer quite well.

The reason for my comment or question about speed vs stability was suggesting that possibly my slower tow speed (62mph max) may be slow enough to keep the performance gap narrow enough to where there are no obvious differences in feel. I would also imagine that I would be in for a white knuckle ride towing with the 250 at 75mph but possibly less so with the 450.

Posted By: SmittysRV on 09/12/12 06:17pm

M-1028 wrote:

Here ya go. I was doing about 76-77. Definatly under 2500

Are you running 4.30s?? with 4.30s att 77mph in high gear you should be at 2329rpm...

Posted By: SmittysRV on 09/12/12 12:37pm

M-1028 wrote:

lincster wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

lincster wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

The 11 and later trucks are geared different in the transmission, I'll take a pic at 75 and prove it to you if you'd like?

I have 3.73 gears in my 2012 and I am turning the EXACT same RPM at 75 as I did in my 2004 that had 3.73 gears.

Will do, it will be tonight or tomorrow. Like I said I'm almost possitive it's under 2500, about 2400 if I had to guess.

It’s not that hard, here are the transmissions.
Trans 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
4r100 2.71 1.54 1.00 .71
5R100 3.11 2.20 1.54 1.00 .71
6R140 3.97 2.31 1.51 1.14 .85 .67

All you need to do is figure out what gear you are in from the list above.
Then take your rear end gear ratio, 3.55, 3.73, 4.30 or 4.88
Use you tire size to get the diameter and you will get your correct RPM…

Posted By: SmittysRV on 09/12/12 12:56pm

Here is my truck at freeway speed.

I have 4.88s and my 225/70/19.5s ar approximately 32" tall. I have an 06 F550 so it is a 5R100 so in high gear i used .71 to get my RPM

At 65mph im at 2365rpm
At 75mpr im at 2729rpm

A new truck with the 6R140 in high gear with 355s with 32" tall tires at 75mph will be at 1873rpm. Damn must be nice to put along like that on the freeway...

Posted By: SmittysRV on 09/11/12 06:04pm

rock-rod wrote:

Ya, I actually stepped up to a 2 ton F550. The F550 start out as a cab and chassis truck. The frame is heavier/thicker, it's a straight rail type, flat frame behind the cab and only 34" wide (250/350 are 38") so to mount a pick-up box you need to add custom mounts. The main fuel tank is 40 gal and mounted behind the axle, so there is no place for a spare tire to go. There is also an optional 19 gal front tank (which my 550 has). Because of the narrower frame there is limited aftermarket available for exhaust systems that just bolt right on without some mods (mainly the tail pipe fitment because of the rear tank, also bolt on hitches have to be different for the narrow frame.The axles and brakes are heavy duty, and the wheels are 19.5" 10 bolt with F or G load range tires. The '06 450 has a 16,000 GVWR and I think the 550 is 19,500 GVWR
My 550 has Link Air Ride on the rear. The ride empty is better than my old 350 and the "DUMP" button is awesome hooking up and unhooking the 5th wheel.
http://www.linkmfg.com/ultraride.html
Go to UltraRide then click current models then click Ford F450/F550 CC Heavy Duty (8M000097). Thats what I have.

Posted By: SmittysRV on 04/18/12 11:32am

sptrucksbyed wrote:

Me too!!

(EDIT: Resized the photo.)

* This post was edited 04/18/12 02:25pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: SmittysRV on 09/26/12 10:46pm

My F550 tows my 40' Keystone Raptor 4014 just fine...

Moderators Edit: Adjusted photo width to 640 pixels per the forum guidelines. The Photo FAQ's has help & tips for posting photos.

* This post was edited 09/27/12 07:44am by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: SmittysRV on 09/27/12 02:02pm

RickSo wrote:

Nice looking setup! I haven't seen very many F-550's with conventional boxes on them. The 2012 spec for the F-550 is 35,000-pound GCWR. If your trailer is 21K loaded and truck is 10K loaded you would have 4k of room before hitting the max GCWR if going by the 2012 specs for the F-550.

Thank you! Yes the truck started out as a chassis cab and was taken to Roll-Along to get the bed custom put on. My F550 spec GCWR is 33K and I have not weighed the Pig yet so I am not completely sure what is there for my 5th Wheel. However The GVW on my Raptor is 18K are people really seeing the actual weight be up near 22K thats 4K over the toy haulers GVW....I understand there is a good percentage (20-30) of the 5th Wheel weight on the pin but my Raptor 4014 only has 6K axels, 3 of them.

Posted By: M-1028 on 09/11/12 09:28pm

lincster wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

Posted By: M-1028 on 09/11/12 09:31pm

tgreening wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

Must have been something wrong with that rear end. My 110 w/4.30s doesn't make a sound.

Consider yourself lucky. The 110's and 130's love to make noise and leak. Ask any Ford tech that has worked on a couple, very common.

Posted By: M-1028 on 09/12/12 10:38am

lincster wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

lincster wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

Will do, it will be tonight or tomorrow. Like I said I'm almost possitive it's under 2500, about 2400 if I had to guess.

Posted By: M-1028 on 09/12/12 02:03pm

Posted By: M-1028 on 09/12/12 02:19pm

SmittysRV wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

lincster wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

lincster wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

It’s not that hard, here are the transmissions.
Trans 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
4r100 2.71 1.54 1.00 .71
5R100 3.11 2.20 1.54 1.00 .71
6R140 3.97 2.31 1.51 1.14 .85 .67

All you need to do is figure out what gear you are in from the list above.
Then take your rear end gear ratio, 3.55, 3.73, 4.30 or 4.88
Use you tire size to get the diameter and you will get your correct RPM…

Yep, thanks!! Like I said the 11 trucks are geared different in the trans.

Posted By: M-1028 on 09/12/12 08:35pm

SmittysRV wrote:

M-1028 wrote:

Are you running 4.30s?? with 4.30s att 77mph in high gear you should be at 2329rpm...

Yes it's a 2012 450 with 4.30's. The needle looks close to 2329 to me.
I may have been going faster, it was raining and I was trying to take pics with my phone. Not fun!!!

Posted By: M-1028 on 09/12/12 02:59pm

lincster wrote:

Cool, thanks for taking the pix.

No problem

Print  |  Close