|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Picked UP RV Yesterday

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Itaricans

Platte City, Missouri.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/11 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone, I went to ST Louis and got my rv from Van City, an 05/ PW TD, it`s in great shape but on the way home the check engine light went on, in the beginning it was flashing and then it stayed on, also it`s very slow climbing hills and it vibrates, like it`s struggling. Now, we live just outside KC MO, 4 1/2 hrs away from ST L, and they want me to bring it over to them to check it under waranty, but I`m afraid to drive that far again and breaking down, besides, I have the Ford dealer up on the corner, so I`ll give VC RV a call today and see what they say. But I was wondering if anyone has an idea about what might be wrong with the van, if anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks. Latter. Louie.

Itaricans. man can not live on bread alone....(pizza, burgers,and ribs help a lot)

retraite

Wanderin' about

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/11 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One possibility is that it's starved for fuel. How long did it "sit" before you bought it? Might it be nothing more than "old" fuel (gas). Or, a clogged fuel filter if there is one.

Were it mine, and since it's almost surely a Ford problem, not a PW problem - and being 4.5 hours back to VCRV - I'd find a local Ford dealer and ask them to check it out.

Even if it were a couple of hundred bucks to fix it where you are, that's likely cheaper than returning to VCRV. If it's something more, then, ...

VCRV - like any dealer - may well fix it under "warranty". But that won't cover your 9 hours of fuel (4.5 each way), and your time.

The coming days will be better.

Cheers.

topless

Wichita, KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/11 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just went through this with an 2003 Mercury Gran Marquis. Ford used some stupid parts on the modular motors. On the 4.6 SOC motors, they used a plastic intake manifold and even though its a chronic problem with them cracking and leaking antifreeze, it was never a recall. The antifreeze leaks to the outside of the motor, so you smell it, but I couldn't find the leak. However, those motors use 8 individual coils, one per cylinder and they are very sensitive to moisture. 2 coils and 4 coil connectors, new intake manifold and it runs like new again.
I don't know for sure that the vans use the same intakes, but if it's missing and you can smell antifreeze.............

Itaricans

Platte City, Missouri.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/11 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I called VC RV this am, after explaining what happened yesterday, they told me to take it to an auto parts to have it scanned and to call back with the results. I had it scanned and the codes say it`s misfiring, I told them and they said to take it to Ford, which is what I wanted to do to start with. Let`s see what Ford says. Thanks everyone. Latter. Louie.

goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/11 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sure it will get fixed. Now, let's see some pictures!

See Picture In My Profile
1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Van- Purchased 10/15/10
Chick Magnet !

* Sportsman GEN154 2000 Watt 80cc Portable Generator *
XM Satellite Radio since 12/25/2004
Sold my Class C 1976 Dodge TEC Motor Home 9/25/10

Rede2

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/11 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had problems on my way home with my '03 Pleasure Way Excel that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. It was also slow on hills until I remembered older vehicles had an O/D button, soon as I switched that off I had no problem. I hope your problem is an easy fix.

scarpi

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/11 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 05 we were on vacation driving our 02 Yukon and we were about 100 miles south of Boise Idaho and the check engine light went on. Since there was nothing within miles of us I had to keep driving and I did not want to shut off the engine because I thought it might not start. By the time we got to Boise it was idling bad at stoplights. I took it to a local GM dealer and they checked it out. They told me that the fuel injectors were plugged. The vehicle was only three years old at the time and I follow all the required maintanance from the owners manual. This vehicle had never had this problem before so I figured that the last gas station sold bad gas. The repair bill was over $900 and they told me the three year warranty had just run out about a week earlier. So we were stuck and I had to get it fixed. A couple of the fuel injectors had to be replaced they were plugged so bad. Had to be contaminated bad fuel from my previous stop for gas! That's my story concerning the check engine light.

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/11 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After the parts store scanned the computer, did they clear the codes? If the light is still on that is good - because Ford cannot argue then that it is OK. Never clear the codes if it is something that is going to go for service for - Ford (any car company) needs to see there is a problem.

It pays to have a code reader. They are not that expensive. It is easy to use - just plug in under the dash and look up the codes in a manual. You will then know exactly what is wrong - and most of the time you can just clear the code and turn off the light. Generally, the check engine light is going to warn about emissions standards problems - and these are not urgent and don't need to be attended to immediately. Some codes are more serious and you want to get to service as soon as possible. A misfire on a new resale needs attention.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Picked UP RV Yesterday
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS