|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy 5.3 vs 6.2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
tomdrobin

Perry, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/11 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevy has some very attractive incentives out there now. So, I'm thinking about upgrading my tow vehicle. I don't think the amount of RV towing I do will justify the extra cost of a heavy duty diesel. And, am trying to decide between the 5.3 six speed auto w/3.42 and the 6.2 six speed auto 3.73.

My current TV is a 2006 Silverado 1500 ext cab with 5.3, 4 spd auto, 3.73. My 30'Jayco is approx 7000 lbs loaded. My current TV pulls it ok, but is a little short on power. It really was adequate with my previous 25' TT, but with the 30' TT, the only time I can use OD is on a downhill. Towing in 3rd @65mph it never gets much more than 8mpg. With my old TT I could use OD more and usually got a mile or two more mpg.

The towing info at the chevy website lists the max tow for the 2011 5.3 6 spd auto and 3.42 as 1000 lbs more than my current TV. I'm wondering if the 6 spd auto and engine tuning makes that much difference. And, that's even with the 3.42 which is the lowest gear they offer. When I originally purchase my 06 they even offered the 4.10, which I wish I had.

Now according to the specs the 6.2 should have a lot more pulling power. But, I'm wondering if I really need it. Also, I've heard the 6.2 requires premium fuel, and doesn't have the active fuel management that cuts out cylinders under light load cruising. I think both engines are flex fuel. Anyone had experience using the E85 fuel? It is always quite a bit cheaper here.

2011 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 5.3, 6 spd auto, 3.42
2000 Jayco Qwest 30'

johnrbd

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/11 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll have to decide if you want a vehicle to tow in comfort and without stress or one that will barely tow to your satisfaction and get better mpg solo. Also, when are you going to upgrade again. Tghe 6.2 will give you upgrade room, the 5.3 ??????

After "getting by" with my 02 5.3, 3.73 towing 5000-lb loaded 5vr, I upgrade to 05 8.1, 4.10 towing 9200-lb loaded. The 8.1 tows it without breaking a sweat - no more worry, can we make it up the hill?

Towing I get about the same as previous truck/5vr combo, 9.2 mpg. Solo, that's what the Camry is for!

You may want to consider the new Ford F150 with Eco-boost - best of both world's.

Oh, BTW, Chevy's website indicated regular gas ok on the 6.2. Of course, if you want to put supreme, it will take it too.

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/11 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not even consider the 5.3 an upgrade. Go with the 6.2 or step up to the DuraMax.

GertiesTravels

Port Angeles, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/11 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bldrbuck wrote:

I would not even consider the 5.3 an upgrade. Go with the 6.2 or step up to the DuraMax.

X2 - The 5.3, especially with 3.42 rear gear would be almost impossible to pull anything with I don't care what Chevy claims for tow capacity! To make the 5.3 even marginally effective you would need to go to a 4.11 rear end and you would still run out of HP going up any kind of hill much less mountains. I would definitely opt for the 6.2 and still get the 4.11 gears and you will leap over tall mountains with a single shift! Yes, the Diesel would be even more towpower, but it is a LOT of extra green and probably is not really cost effective the cost of Diesel being what it is these days.

Forget E85 for towing except in an absolute emergency. Alcohol, E85, will cost you big time in the tow capacity as it will cut your HP and MPG significantly, like by at least 30%!

Jim

1991 Chevy Western Hauler 454 engine - RV cam, Headers, Dual Flowmasters, K&N 100 Gall Aux Gas tank
2004 29' Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel
4 Interstate GC Batteries + WM Caps
2 daughters & 1 Miniature Dachshund adventurer.

BUFFALODAN

Buffalo NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/11 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heres a post I wrote earlier this month.
Quote:

FWIW heres some "real world" numbers. Just returned from a 800 mile trip to PA and back. Encountered some long grades through the hills of central PA. Took the same trip last year with the Suburban in my sig with the 5.3/3.42 4 speed combo. Major difference with the 6 speed tranny. 5 of us on board (630lbs), maybe 150lbs in the bed, trailer last weighed in around 5500lbs, last tongue weight was in the 650 range if I recall. Anyway I averaged 9.7 MPG and transmission temps ranged from the 170-190 range on the highways. Encountered stop and go traffic through some towns and in construction areas. It spiked to 225 for a few minutes going uphill in a stop-n-go construction zone, (84degrees outside) but once underway on the highway went back down to the 180's. I really like the grade braking feature which some here really disliked. Last year it seemed like I had to get a "running start" with the Suburban going up some of those long grades or the transmission just kept downshifting like crazy. Love how this truck tows, and the telescoping towing mirrors I added are worth every penny.

Couldnt even find a 6.2 pickup when I was looking last October nobody had one. If I did and the price was within reason of what I paid I probably would've opted for the bigger motor. But Im very pleased with my truck and how it tows my trailer.

2006 KZ Frontier 2505
2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
2014 Chevy Silverado Double Cab 4WD
1 DW
3DD's

Need-A-Vacation

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/11 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

muck master mom wrote:

bldrbuck wrote:

X2 - The 5.3, especially with 3.42 rear gear would be almost impossible to pull anything with I don't care what Chevy claims for tow capacity! To make the 5.3 even marginally effective you would need to go to a 4.11 rear end and you would still run out of HP going up any kind of hill much less mountains. I would definitely opt for the 6.2 and still get the 4.11 gears and you will leap over tall mountains with a single shift! Yes, the Diesel would be even more towpower, but it is a LOT of extra green and probably is not really cost effective the cost of Diesel being what it is these days.

Forget E85 for towing except in an absolute emergency. Alcohol, E85, will cost you big time in the tow capacity as it will cut your HP and MPG significantly, like by at least 30%!

Jim

Jim, actually with the 6 speed tranny/3.42 combo 1st gear is lower than the older 4spd/4.10 combo in 1st gear. I tried finding the chart a member made comparing the 4spd and 6spd tranny over on GM-Trucks, but couldn't find it. I will continue searching.

Also, according to the 2010 brochure I have, when running E85 you GAIN horsepower . 2010 specs- Reg Gas: 315 hp, 335 ft/lbs, E85: 326 hp, 348 ft/lbs. Though you are correct that there is a MPG loss.

Tom,

As Dan mentioned, the 5.3/6 speed tranny/3.42 combo does a very good job towing. While I haven't towed "up in the BIG hills" yet, I have been very happy so far towing our trailer which is about 6300lbs loaded. Our couple trips this year have been from just West of Flint out I69 to Port Huron area.

As for the 6.2 option, from what I have read on Gm-Trucks it is a bad motor (in a good way)! Night and day difference to the 5.3, and even the 6.0 that was used in the Max Trailer Pack before the 6.2 came out. IF you can drive the 6.2 the same as the 5.3, you will get about the same mpg from what I have read. BUT, the hard part is NOT trying that new monster 6.2 when leaving every stop light or sign!

Do you know your hitch weight since your trailer is about 7k? That may be the deciding factor as to which motor you go with. The 6.2 is available by itself, or in the Max Trailer Pack which gives you a higher payload.

Chris

Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

neva4get

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/11 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having towed my 26'/5000lb trailer with an '04 Yukon, 5.3/3:73/4 spd auto I will personally say that the above combo was totally inadequate when encountering any type of grade. Cruise control, on anything but the flats (& I do mean FLATS) caused the tranny to constantly downshift & mileage was between 7-8 mpg. Please note that I will not tow above 60mph.

I now have a 28 ft, 6500lb trailer that I tow with an '04 Yukon XL, 6.0/3:73/4 spd auto that I will honestly say is only slightly more than adequate. The mileage I get is about 8.5 - 9.5, depending on terrain. I still don't find it beneficial to tow in cruise as the tranny will downshift on almost any type of grade & I find I get better mileage while not using cruise.

I only wish that I had opted for the 8.1 engine or diesel power. This, for me, has been an expensive learning process & maybe, just maybe, some day I'll get it right.

PS: The difference in power between the 5.3 & 6.0 in every day driving is amazing & the gas mileage difference has been negligible.

tomdrobin

Perry, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/11 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a tough decision. The max tow package with the 6.2 is a $3500 option. They discount the "all star edition", which includes the 5.3 6 spd with heavy duty tow package and 3.42, so the end cost of the option is only $1200.

I'm befuddled that the max tow on my existing 06 5.3 is 7900 and the new 5.3 6spd max tow is 9700. Then when you add the 6.2 with almost 100 more hp and 3.73 it only increases to 10700. I'm just afraid if I went with the 5.3 that it would only pull marginally better than my 06 5.3. I doubt if the dealer would let me borrow one for a weekend of towing.[emoticon]

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/11 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the 1500 truck for towing, I would get the max tow and max payload packages and 6.2 engine with 6 speed tranny and 3.73 axle.

The only way to get the Duramax diesel is to step up to the 2500HD/3500 trucks.

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

OrangeTJ

El Dorado Hills

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/11 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going to "upgrade" your tow vehicle, then do it in a meaningful way. That's my opinion anyway. I don't much see the point of getting out of one 5.3 half ton Chevy and into another, even though the 6 speed auto would be an improvement. IMO, that's just an incremental step up. The big engine will likely give you the upgrade in performance you're seeking while the smaller may leave you wondering "what if".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Chevy 5.3 vs 6.2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS