RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: How old are you? What's your plan?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How old are you? What's your plan?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kidoo

Chicoutimi, Québec, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/11 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I will retire in a few months and wonder how many years I will be travelling with the TC. What about you? Tell us your past experience or your future plan.
I am 57
Been traveling / Camping all over Canada and USA for the past 30 years.
Plan:
2012 Alaska and Florida
2013 Mexico
Then in the next years: Florida, California, Oregon, Texas, Mexico, Newfoundland, North Quebec, Alaska again.
A few cruises and a few trip to other country.

Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/11 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would delete Mexico from the list. Its just too dangerous on many levels!

grandpalarry

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/11 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well Kidoo it sounds like you have everything under control, just be sure you don't spend to much to fast and run out of retirement money before you run out of retirement.
We are 67 and have been off and on RVing for the last 5 years, We are trying to get by for now on out SS but looks like that may create a problem soon if the arguing dosen't stop in Washington.
The first thing we did when we retired was to pay everything off so all we had going out was the secondary bills,gas,water,lights and such. We then called in all the "We'll pay you back payday" loans (That was a waste of time).
Before we retired we joined one of those free camping clubs and paid it off, we now use it as a spring board Home Club to join ROD and such, now we can camp all over for free which is good.
What I'm trying to say is to Plan ahead now before retirement while you still have an income.
Good Luck
Larry

I don’t need anger management-I just need people to stop pissing me off.
Vancouver, WA
2006 Holiday Rambler DP

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/11 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sounds like a good plan.

I'm 45 so i have a few years to go.
i hope to retire by 58.
the wife and i want to see.
Alaska
Canada
and back out west, we would like to travel at least 3-6 months a year, if we have to work camp to get it done then so be it.

good luck and see ya on the road.

Darwin

1993 Dodge cummins crankin out some torque,
2003 Lance 1071 loaded to the hilt

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/11 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just turned 68 retired at the start of 2006, life is good.

Truck camper with me in it has been to Key West, FL., to Fairbanks, AK., to Guadalajara, Mexico.
All western states and most southern ones.
We've toured the Scandinavian capitols including St. Petersburg, Russia with my brother and his wife.
Spent a week in Hawaii and attended the Navy retirement ceremony of dear friends son on the fantail of the USS Missouri.
Wife and I are leaving Monday for 6 weeks of rented RV touring, Germany, Denmark, the low countries and France.

Life is good.

* This post was edited 07/28/11 09:46am by an administrator/moderator *

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/11 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're both 69-1/2 and have been RV'ing constantly since the early 1960's in all 4 seasons. We've been in/toured every US state except Hawaii with our RV's repeatedly including Alaska and all but 3 Provinces of Canada. Sure not about to stop now!!! Never know exactly where we'll go or be when we quickly load up one of the RV's because we prefer not to establish a definite final destination point but rather just an area or region. We let the local attractions, scenery, weather, and our desires etc to guide us as we can always come back like we do or visit the other lacal areas we didn't get to the first or second time. This keeps a region with lots to come back to see some more. What's the rush anyway? That's what retirement is for! We are not fulltimers as we have our main home in a fabulous area and it's so wonderful to come back to. That's until another travel thought bug infects our minds which is very often. The best of both worlds! Life is what you make it!

Hawaii, across the Atlantic, South America, parts of dirty Mexico, the entire Caribbean etc are very hard to get to by "RV" so we had to jump on that aluminum thingy with wings (a couple dozen times) or a nice cruise ship (16 times) so far. However, nothing even remotely compares to our trips in/with our various RV's in the good ole USA 48, Canada and Alaska! Takes far more than a lifetime just to really see these two large countries. No language barriers and/or insane costs of accomodations, food, rip-offs, sickening water or anything else in these two friendly countries populated with such pleasant people and sights to behold. But then, Canada has shot themselves in the foot and become quite expensive over the last say 5-10 years also but perhaps it will moderate again soon. The higher costs fortunately do not stop us but it sure does most retired people/RV'ers.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/11 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was fortunate, I retired on my 54th birthday. A few years later we bought our first (and only) RV, a 96 Southwind. We planned to use it for a few years and get a newer unit and travel 3-5 months a year.
As we all know, you never know what life will hand us.
After the sudden death of our son we are raising our 6 and 9 year old grandsons. We still have the Southwind and will get something newer (with bunk beds) in the future. But, we won't be traveling like we planned. I'll be 75 when the youngest guy is out of high school.
Then there's college........
So, travel WHERE and WHEN you can now because, you may not have the time/money/ability to do it in the future.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/11 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i am the bearer of bad news... if you were in the USA.....

If you are retiring at 57 it is more than likely that you won't travel much for very far...

It is expensive to cross the country

just the price of fuel.

You will be losing $540/month from SSA every month for the rest of your life by not working until 62. (you gain $9/mo. every month you work, paid our every month for the rest of your life 60 x 9 = $540)

That is a lot of money.

You won't be paying into a 401K or building a pension
during those 5 years

I am assuming that you don't have one penny of debt... house paid for.

You will have ~20% more bying power if you don't pay interest on loans and credit cards

-------------------------

People give up $50,000 jobs and end up working at WalMart type jobs for $11,000 ful time.

and as you get older you need more and more medical help... bones, heart, cancer, prostrate.....

I hope this isn't you.

Me. I worked until my 65th year, paid into Social Security on every job I ever worked... get the max for my age and income

We pay $6000/year for medicare and suplimental in medical insurance.

I have a defined very good pension...

And have to take a RMD (required minimum distribution this year... thats 1/26th of my 401k plan, the one that I contributed to from the first year I was eligible... and rolled my savings plan from before into that.

We travel a lot... 931 nights, 49 states, much of canada

The costs for fuel are high... diesel, propane...

and we've never been in a campground.

On one of our trips we traveled 11,000 miles... and had about $2550 in fuel... it is higher cost now. I get 15.1 mpg.

That is a lot of bits and pieces of info.. things for you to consider.

BTW... our friends that retire at 55 are called graters at walmart... or their wife is still working, supporting them.

I know that you are in canada but we are more alike than different.

Sleepy

* This post was edited 07/28/11 10:38am by sleepy *

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Moosetags

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/11 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both SuEllyn and I have been seriously RVing since we were both 57 in 2005. We are both retired from the Federal Government. In the last 5 years we have spent almost 900 nights in our Airstream Travel Trailer which is almost 50% of our time. The trailer has covered 80,000 miles and been in all of the lower 48 states.

To further our adventures, we have ordered an Outfitter pop-up truck camper which we will pick up in September. We plan to continue towing the Airstream with the truck camper.

We love the RV life style, and are out on the road as often as we can.

Brian

2005 Airstream Safari 25FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
2011 Outfitter Apex 8 Long Bed
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 3500

nm1oqrz

Trumbull CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/11 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. Will be 79 in a month and still going strong. I had both knees replaced in 09 and a tripple bypass in 10 and it was the best thing I ever did except for my wife and kids. Unfortunately my DW has dimentia and I have to camp alone except when my son comes along.
We have an 88 Airstream and a Lance 1055 TC. Love them both.
People worry to much about growing old but each morning as I feel my feet on the floor I know it's a good day.
Happy camping nm1oqrz

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How old are you? What's your plan?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS