RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: POWER SOURCE Todd Pc45b Internally fused?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> POWER SOURCE Todd Pc45b Internally fused?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All right it's my turn to be dumb/ignorant. I have a Todd PC45b in my 'C', which appears to have bit the big one. I have the info sheet on it from the manufacturer. Says Battery Charger/Power Supply. No schematics. Tried to call Todd at 1-800-hey-todd. Changed or disconnected, so much for my limited lifetime warranty.

Batteries are of course flat so I'm going to charge them up with the coach until I can PU something. It has two 12 volt house batteries.

Hoping someone has been into one of these enough to tell me if I should even bother to open it up.
Input is to be 120vac
Output is to be 13.2 or 14.2vdc manually switchable

green indicator light is on, red light is off Multimeter says 110 volts in.... ZERO volts anything out.

It is a 45 amp charger.

Who what is the current bang for the buck replacement? I'm not familiar with the electronics currently available. So If this thing is shot or should be (shot). Who knows what?

Thanks in advance for an education on this one.

* This post was edited 07/30/11 02:29pm by rehoppe *

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UL rating demands a breaker, fuse, or fusible link on the output. I would open it up. What harm could it do?

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mexbungalows writes "UL rating demands a breaker, fuse, or fusible link on the output. I would open it up. What harm could it do? "

It is a switching power supply. It can and will cause bodily harm to one who happens to place their fingers (or tools) in the wrong place. Even if power is disconnected there are a couple of capacitors which could have a considerable charge left over to knock you on your kester.

Opening one and applying power while circuit board is exposed is even more dangerous since part of the circuit board (120V side) is not isolated from the AC line (HOT chassis). Touching the hot side will in effect roast you.

From my understanding Todd has been long gone for quite a while and for good reason, they didn't make very robust converters.

Buy a new replacement converter and don't look back. You do not even have to remove the existing converter board, just disconnect it from both 120V and 12V sides. The new units are in a fully enclosed box which can be placed anywhere handy to the old converter and wired in. In some cases you may be able to buy replacement converter boards which may fit where the old board is.

The newer units also give you multistage charging which is kinder to the batteries.

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx for the recommend and advice. Called Randy at Best Converter, left name and #. Randy returned my call within 5min. Bumped the amps to 55 from 45 for $160 plus postage. It'll be here Thursday. Plug and play so to speak.

Thx all.

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No harm I expect. Just kind of wanted to know what I'd see as I'm obviously not an ET. Also looking to find out if there's a better unit available. I don't think this one has a 'floating charge' mode to keep the batteries full.

I'm a dummy when it comes to electronics, was lucky to get the multimeter hooked up right. Ya know.

suchristo01

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

best converter has good options to compar ask Randy for what is best for you

Lots of forum members have been pleased with the advice, price and service

Edit: According to an escappes forum Todd has been gone for awhile.

* This post was edited 07/30/11 03:33pm by suchristo01 *

Tommy USMC,Susie USN Ret, Dog Buddy
2000 Fleetwood Flair 25F WH P32 7.4L 19.5"
2002 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L 5 Spd Man
Blue Ox Base,Aventa II,4 PIN Locks
US Gear UTB, Power Gear Man Lev, Onan 4KW
Tent,GP Tent,Tent Trailer,2 Class A's
Are We There Yet?

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/11 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHich one did Randy recommend... I paid $160 for the PD9260C Converter/Charger with the pendent a year ago.. This is a "smart mode" converter/charger that may fit your Power Distribution center or it can be mounted stand-alone. It really needs to be as close to your batteries as you can get anyway...

The pendent is a manual remote control to force the PD9260C Converter into its three "smart Modes" by pushing a button. On my install I can get 14.4VDC @ 55 amps at the input to my battery bank switch. This unit will re-charge my three GP24 12VDC batteries in as little as 3-4 hours...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't remember the brand Max something or another I think. I'll post it when I get it. Whatever it is plug and play for the Todd unit no mods Randy said.

I dunno. Thursday is when it's supposed to arrive. Of course I hope to be fishing by then/still.

09FLSTC

Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bet its that Powermax boondocker. I like what it says. I have the Iota and like it but the constant current, voltages and three year warranty caught my eye.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/11 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as long as it does the "smart mode" charging and doesnt have the problem of not going into 14.4VDC mode when needed to re-charge your batteries...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> POWER SOURCE Todd Pc45b Internally fused?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS