|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Duo-therm ac question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
scarpi

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My PW Excel has a Duo-therm 600 series roof top AC unit. I live in Phoenix where in the summer it gets hot as hell in the RV and that makes it hard to work on things in there. I've tried running the roof top AC with the RV plugged into the house outlet in my garage which is a standard 15 amp outlet. The AC unit blows the circuit breaker and shuts off even though the rv is the only thing plugged into that outlet. Does this AC unit draw more than 15 amps? I thought you could run the rooftop ac unit while plugged into a standard house outlet as long as nothing else is plugged into that outlet. Thanks for any info and sorry if this has been asked before. Don

scarpi

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to mention that I have to use an extension cord to reach my 30 amp rv cord. The extension cord I use is a typical orange outdoor power tool extension cord and I use my 30 amp to 15 amp adaptor to plug it in. I recently read on line that I should be using a 10 gauge extension cord. Maybe that is the problem. I'll buy one and try it. Any thoughts?? Thanks again.

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/11 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scarpi wrote:

Thanks Larry. I think you're right. The best way would be to have an electrician run a 20 amp line into my garage. Then I will use a 12 or 10 gauge extension cord to plug my rv cord into.

If you're going to have an electrician put in a new circuit, why not go ahead and install a 30 amp circuits? It won't be that much more expensive.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2000 Excursion Ltd. 7.3 PSD
2000 Ford E350 7.3 PSD

scarpi

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Larry. I think you're right. The best way would be to have an electrician run a 20 amp line into my garage. Then I will use a 12 or 10 gauge extension cord to plug my rv cord into.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/11 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to THIS all the the Penguins A/C need a CB rated at 20A and the compressor running amps (12 to 12.4) plus the fan amp (3.3 to 3.5) exceed 15A and so there you have your answer. That along with using any extension cord only makes matters worse.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Duo-therm ac question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS