|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I 95 Rest Area / Walmart overnight sleeping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
NJ6PACK

Momouth County NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/11 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going to the Outter Banks in NC in a few weeks. In stead of driving all day we were thinking of leaving NJ on a Friday around 4pm (Yes I know the traffic will suck at that time) and driving till 10pm then staying in a Walmart or rest area or anyother good place to stop.

My question is who is familliar with places to stop for the night along I 95 in VA or MD. My main concern is safety, I will have my wife and 4 kids with me. Are there any places along the way where local laws will prohibit us from stopping for the night.

Thanks

Chris

2007 Max Lite ML28 RS
1999 Ford E 350 Super Duty 15 Passenger Ext Van
6.8L V10 / 3.73 Gears

sharker6

fulltime KY, NC, FL, MA, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/11 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's two Pilot Travel Plazas south and east of Richmond, VA. The one on I-64 may be the one you want.

2009 30' Fleetwood Wilderness, 2008 F-250 Super Duty FX4 stump puller

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/11 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a Walmart in Roanoke Rapids, NC just across the VA/NC border that I've used a few times.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
'95 Tracker toad

PamfromVA

Fauquier County, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/11 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a walmart in woodbridge, va. get off at the prince william parkway and go west. turn left on worth avenue and couple of stop lights down the road - right across from the best buy. there are campers spending the night there most nights.

2011 Open Range Roamer 266RLS
2007 Toyota Tundra double cab 5.7-liter V8
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/11 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rest areas would not be good with me. I just don't think I'd feel comfortable there.

I'd be willing to bet that a vast majority of Wal-Marts you'll find along the way would allow overnights. Unfortunately, my book is in the RV in storage right now, else I'd be able to run off rather quickly the ones that don't. There is a Wal-Mart book you can purchase that also has includes a list of ones that don't allow overnights, but I can't remember where you can order that from.

Here is a link to where overnights are not permitted, and there is a link there to where you can buy an atlas of all Wal-Marts.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/11 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the link to where you can purchase the atlas and the guide which tells you which ones don't allow overnights.

I can't tell you how many times these have been useful to me. Very valuable resource, IMO.

mainetom

Maine, near Augusta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/11 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

weathershak wrote:

Dont take Rt95 all the way. Assuming you are leaving Neptune, Take 195 to the NJTP south, cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge, follow signs for R t 1 to Rt13 South, which will take you thru Delaware, Marylands Eastern Shore, thru Virginias Eastern Shore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. There are plenty of options to stop for rest. From the CBBBT, Take rt 13 to Rt 64 east to Rt 168 to Rt 158 right to the OBX.

You are looking at a 444 mile ride vs a 513 mile ride taking 95 all the way. It is an enjoyable ride. Stress free and road conditions are good. There are Walmarts along the way and just north of the CBBBT there is a large rest stop just north of the bridge by the toll booths. You can overnight there. It is safe, they have rest rooms there and vending machines.

Weathershak's got it right. All except, I like to take the GSP to Cape May, then the ferry across to Lewes, Delaware, then 13 to the CBBBT. You pay more toll $ but save on gas and time behind the wheel, which in my case coming down from Maine is badly needed about the time I get to Cape May.
Either way, Weathershak's or mine, beats the heck out of I-95 etc. and helps me forget about the extra toll money.

Ringer

Elkton, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/11 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also agree with weathershak's post. There is a Wally World in Pokomoke City just N/O the MD/VA border on Rt. 13 but I don't know if over nighting is allowed. Have heard of other folks stopping at the rest area by the bridge and having no problems staying there. It's a great trip.

2008 Phaeton 40 QTH
2008 Saturn VUE

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/11 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

weathershak wrote:

Dont take Rt95 all the way. Assuming you are leaving Neptune, Take 195 to the NJTP south, cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge, follow signs for Rt 1 to Rt13 South, which will take you thru Delaware, Marylands Eastern Shore, thru Virginias Eastern Shore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. There are plenty of options to stop for rest. From the CBBBT, Take rt 13 to Rt 64 east to Rt 168 to Rt 158 right to the OBX.

You are looking at a 444 mile ride vs a 513 mile ride taking 95 all the way. It is an enjoyable ride. Stress free and road conditions are good. There are Walmarts along the way and just north of the CBBBT there is a large rest stop just north of the bridge by the toll booths. You can overnight there. It is safe, they have rest rooms there and vending machines.

Coming from where you are, this would be my pick, too.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/11 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont take Rt95 all the way. Assuming you are leaving Neptune, Take 195 to the NJTP south, cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge, follow signs for Rt 1 to Rt13 South, which will take you thru Delaware, Marylands Eastern Shore, thru Virginias Eastern Shore to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. There are plenty of options to stop for rest. From the CBBBT, Take rt 13 to Rt 64 east to Rt 168 to Rt 158 right to the OBX.

Full timing it since July 2012 My pics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I 95 Rest Area / Walmart overnight sleeping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS