RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: GM 8.1 Exhaust Manifold gasket blown

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> GM 8.1 Exhaust Manifold gasket blown

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MrDoneIt65

Golf Country NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 2002 Southwind motorhome on a Workhorse Chassis. It now has approximately 30,000 mile on it. It has set mostly because of the Norcold and Workhorse Brake recalls over the last 4 years. I "roughed" it when I tent camped. I had No intentions of "roughing it" when I bought this motorhome.

Now the exhaust manifold has blown on the right side. I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem. I know the old 454 Chevy's use to do that but I would have thought GM would correct that problem in a new engine. Guess it will sit until I can find someone to fix it.

'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it the manifold gasket or the "doghnut" gasket between the manifold and the down pipe?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

okgc

Southern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I doubt your 8.1 has a gasket, probably a broken stud or like mentioned the donut on the connector pipe.

X2

2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with Chevy HHR or GMC Envoy
Alaska bound in 2015

sc3283

St Louis

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may help from my 25+ yrs of towing with 454s...once you make the repairs....change the thermostat to a 160 degree. I drove my last CC dually ( a 91) 14 yrs without a manifold problem/leak once doing that. Prior to the thermostat replacement, I had 5 manifolds warp and break the mounting bolts within the 1st 2 years of the trucks life.

04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

MARKW8

Akron OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/11 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about the 8.1s but the 6.0s would pop the heads off the manifold bolts.

Mark

ole trucker

Florida.

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt your 8.1 has a gasket, probably a broken stud or like mentioned the donut on the connector pipe.

MrDoneIt65

Golf Country NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It isn't the donut on the down exhaust pipe. I can put my hand in front of the exhaust manifold on the right side of the engine and feel the exhaust. There is a hole in the manifold but I am not sure it is a bolt hole. It appears to be an easy area to access but I will have to take off the front tire. Fleetwood also put some thin corrugated steel in the area between the frame and the coach support. I will cut that out with a Dremel and then replace it when I get the manifold off. You would be amazed at what I have had to do to keep this thing on the road for 30k miles. The mufflers fell off the first day I pulled it out of the dealer. And then I could never talk to anyone but the operator at the dealership after that.

I love camping!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> GM 8.1 Exhaust Manifold gasket blown
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS