RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: GM 8.1 Exhaust Manifold gasket blown

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> GM 8.1 Exhaust Manifold gasket blown

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MrDoneIt65

Golf Country NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 2002 Southwind motorhome on a Workhorse Chassis. It now has approximately 30,000 mile on it. It has set mostly because of the Norcold and Workhorse Brake recalls over the last 4 years. I "roughed" it when I tent camped. I had No intentions of "roughing it" when I bought this motorhome.

Now the exhaust manifold has blown on the right side. I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem. I know the old 454 Chevy's use to do that but I would have thought GM would correct that problem in a new engine. Guess it will sit until I can find someone to fix it.

'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it the manifold gasket or the "doghnut" gasket between the manifold and the down pipe?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

MARKW8

Akron OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/11 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about the 8.1s but the 6.0s would pop the heads off the manifold bolts.

Mark

okgc

Southern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I doubt your 8.1 has a gasket, probably a broken stud or like mentioned the donut on the connector pipe.

X2

2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with Chevy HHR

MrDoneIt65

Golf Country NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It isn't the donut on the down exhaust pipe. I can put my hand in front of the exhaust manifold on the right side of the engine and feel the exhaust. There is a hole in the manifold but I am not sure it is a bolt hole. It appears to be an easy area to access but I will have to take off the front tire. Fleetwood also put some thin corrugated steel in the area between the frame and the coach support. I will cut that out with a Dremel and then replace it when I get the manifold off. You would be amazed at what I have had to do to keep this thing on the road for 30k miles. The mufflers fell off the first day I pulled it out of the dealer. And then I could never talk to anyone but the operator at the dealership after that.

I love camping!!!

sc3283

St Louis

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may help from my 25+ yrs of towing with 454s...once you make the repairs....change the thermostat to a 160 degree. I drove my last CC dually ( a 91) 14 yrs without a manifold problem/leak once doing that. Prior to the thermostat replacement, I had 5 manifolds warp and break the mounting bolts within the 1st 2 years of the trucks life.

04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

ole trucker

Florida.

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt your 8.1 has a gasket, probably a broken stud or like mentioned the donut on the connector pipe.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> GM 8.1 Exhaust Manifold gasket blown
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS