|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM 6spd vs 4spd Tranny Chart

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Need-A-Vacation

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/11 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that ask about the newer trucks with the 6spd tranny compared to the older 4spd tranny, here is a chart that a member over at www.GM-Trucks.com made, and has allowed me to share here as well.

It compares the 6psd w/ 3.42, 3.73, and the 4spd with 3.73, 4.10.

Maybe this will also help squash the negative posts that say anything with a 5.3/6spd/3.42 can't pull a wet paper bag! Lol

GEAR CHART

Chris

Mods: If you could insert the chart, please do so! Lol

Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sure would be nice to that that double lower gear. The 4L80-e is just geared to high in low for a maxed out truck. We reduced our ratio by 2.5% when we retired and the little we have driven it shows 2.5% lower gearing is nice.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

It sure would be nice to that that double lower gear. The 4L80-e is just geared to high in low for a maxed out truck. We reduced our ratio by 2.5% when we retired and the little we have driven it shows 2.5% lower gearing is nice.

But that is exactly what 'performance' and 'ratings' are all about...that
all things designed/engineered is NOT for the lower levels, but for the
maximum ratings performance that most have no clue about

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Gale Hawkins wrote:

But that is exactly what 'performance' and 'ratings' are all about...that
all things designed/engineered is NOT for the lower levels, but for the
maximum ratings performance that most have no clue about

But even then 1st gear is too high for a fully loaded truck. I really never got the performance logic of high ratio reverse gears either.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why most will either be a 4.1 diff ratio and big block or diesel...'cuz a 4L80E
is only found on a 8.6K GVWR or larger truck

Generally of course...there are some 8.6K GVWR and larger with small blocks

In reverse, my opinion, you are not supposed to go fast and if any gear, go low
to back out of trouble... [emoticon]

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/11 11:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ben,

The first gear ratio of the 4L80e is 2.48-1, MOST other 4 speed trannies are 2.7to3.1-1, so they have more low end power assuming the same axel gear ratio. So Gale is correct, the 4l80e tranny in and of itself is gear way too tall! Performance be danged if you will. That is why back in the TH400 days, I blew those POJ/s trannies up left and right every 25-30K miles. I was not the only one using the at GCWR. Heck, my 89 1 ton dually with 4.10's could not even climb a 15% grade at its 11K gvwr, much less 16K GCWR! meanwhile an 8600 gvwr rig with a 292, 4.10's and a muncie 4 sp which was able to multiply the torque way more than the 1 ton with a 454, went up the hill at a total wt higher than the 1 ton, we went back down the hill, hooked a chain up to the one ton, and pulled it up the hill! The 292 had a gcwr less than its gvwr! Yes performance in a rating issue for gcwr, but reality is, the way the engineers sometimes rate rigs, is not the way we think they should be rated per say.

marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/11 12:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoa! Didn't realize the 4L80 / TH400 was THAT tall. 60 mph in first gear!!?? That belongs on a Z06 Vette, not an HD truck!

Some times I wonder how those old monsters would've performed given a modern 6 speed transmission.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/11 12:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roy,

I've done 50 in my 2000 C2500 with a V350 in 1st gear, granted 5000 rpms, this is with 4.10's no less and a 4l80E. So yes, very tall geared! Takes a pretty low GR to make this a decent take off tranny. Great for a vette or other fast rig, but a slow rock crawler, give me a 700R4/4l60E with its 3.1-1 first gear. I have yet to blow one of them up......yet........

Marty

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/11 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How can you look at that chart and NOT realize that the 6-speed is a vast improvement over the 4-speed?

Heck, the 3.42/6-speed in 4th gear is within 100RPMs of the 4.10/4-speed in 3rd.

The 3.42/6-speed in 5th is almost IDENTICAL to the 4.10/4-speed in performance. In fact, it's slightly better.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/11 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

How can you look at that chart and NOT realize that the 6-speed is a vast improvement over the 4-speed?

Heck, the 3.42/6-speed in 4th gear is within 100RPMs of the 4.10/4-speed in 3rd.

The 3.42/6-speed in 5th is almost IDENTICAL to the 4.10/4-speed in performance. In fact, it's slightly better.

No one can.

If it was free I would like to have one to replace the 4L80-e MH. [emoticon]

It was when we hit the entrance to Kingdom Come KY State Park that I realized the 4L80-e was NOT for a max'd out weight.

I had no clue that I was going to have to climb 1000 foot in the next two miles with one switch back with places hitting 14% grades. I had never even done anything like that in a car.

To test for the Rockies I left the dash AC on and I was very concerned. The 1992 454 TBI pulls very well for that generation but had we developed a miss on one cylinder, etc it would have been bad.

We made it but before we got to the top the water temp was kissing the red. When we got to the top I could not get the temperature to start dropping with the dash AC running.

The cooking thermometer in the dog house was going off as soon as we stopped moving (160F I think) but on shutting down the dash air the temps started dropping and after 5 minutes the temp was normal and the clutch fans and electric fans had shut down. I was keeping the RPM's around 1000.

Had we had the new 6-speed I am sure it would not have been a WOT required climb. [emoticon]

Well it was a good experience for going west next month. The dash air use was to kind of mimic the higher elevations we will see in the Rockies.

The entrance to Kingdom Come KY State Park is a narrow two lane and I hit it doing about 25 MPH because I was looking for the office but it was two miles up the mountain. For normal hills the 4L80-e does just fine if I keep it out of OD. The park manager said they only see a couple MH's a year because the CG is for tent camping. We slept in a lookout point pull out and it was a cool experience. I had to tap the brakes twice the two miles back down the next morning with a cold chassis.

The son was very happy we make that detour he requested so we could catch that park. We did take the 32' MH to the high point of 2700+ feet even though the last couple miles was a one lane road. Yes we did meet a van load on our was down that two miles. [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM 6spd vs 4spd Tranny Chart
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS