From the pics your new B looks like it's in good shape, congrats!!
Do a forum search on Bar Keepers Friend and Red Max Pro 3.
I used the Bar Keepers Friend on my Southwind. It removed the oxidation. I didn't use the Red Max yet, but I'm going to apply it when I get time.
This is the info someone had posted a few weeks ago. Sorry I don't know how to make a Clicky to their post.
Restoring the finish of an older motorhome using Red Max Pro (#3):
-Red Max Pro (Step 3) Low Maintenance Floor Finish (available at Lowes)
-Bar Keeper’s Friend (powdered)
-White Microfiber rags
-3M scrubbies (white)
Preparing the surface is the most important part, since anything left on the surface will be sealed under the Red Max Pro acrylic coating. Start by washing your motorhome as you normally would, making sure to include the roof, rinsing well from the top down.
Now, you want to remove any and all stains, soiling, oxidation, and chalkiness from the surface of the motorhome. Dip a white 3M scrubbie into water and then sprinkle Bar Keeper’s Friend on it. Scrub the surface of the motorhome, rinsing the scrubbie and re-applying the BKF often. Do small areas at a time, rinsing well with water and a sponge as you go.
The next step is to make sure that there is absolutely no remaining wax on the motorhome. Mix up a bucket of TSP (1/2 cup) in water (2 gal), and wash the entire motorhome. You can use a carwash brush, a sponge, a pressure washer…anything you would normally use. Rinse well, and let the motorhome dry completely. Congrats, the prep-work is now complete!
Now for the easy part. Pour some Red Max Pro (RMP) into a shallow container (a pie pan works well). Fold a microfiber rag to about hand-sized, dip into the RMP (trust me, use gloves!), and squeeze out the excess. How much/how wet? You want it more than damp, but less than dripping. Now simply wipe down the surface of the motorhome with the wet rag. Don’t try to over-apply; just wet the surface (imagine wiping a layer of dust off with a wet rag). Work your way all the way around the motorhome. RMP will dry quickly; by the time you’ve gone all the way around, it will be dry and you can immediately start on the next coat.
That first coat will likely look really bad; streaky, shiny in some places, dull in others…don’t panic. Each additional coat will even it out and start to build up a deep layer of shine. By coat 3, you will be grinning ear to ear. And coat 4 will be the icing on the cake.
Things (I learned) to keep in mind:
-Be careful around window frames, locks, latches, etc., as the RMP will have a tendency to gather and cause runs. Watch for runs and give them a quick wipe before they start to “set up”.
-Watch for “bleeding” of color from older deteriorated graphics onto the rag. This should only occur with the first coat, as the RMP will then “seal” them up. Subsequent coats will not have the problem.
-After each coat, go around and open/operate all hatches, locks, catches, etc. The acrylic (RMP) coating will sort of “glue” them closed
I've never owned or camped in a unit like yours but I have always loved that classice hi-top van look. I plan on getting a B for my next unit, but we all know what happens to plans right. Anyway, congrats, looks like a nice one.
87 Mallard Sprinter 24' Class C Ford E350 w/460 gas "The Runny Duck"
Shiny side up, Rubber side down.
Hey oldradios! i just bought an 88 chevy cobra discovery an its not as in the shape ur's is in but then i paid $1500.00 for mine knowing it needed $500 in frontend work,,it has the same top as yours does!!!mines alittle rough in the paint department but looks unused inside except for drivers seat,,does ur's have shower,stool? mines in the back but no table as u have,,,was wondering if we have the same conversion as i dont have any of the factory paperwork an would like a wiring diagram if u have one?
Going to spend the winter on the gulf coast for first long trip!
This one has a small toilet/sink room halfway down the drivers side. No shower. The back is an eating nook with benches each side of a small table. That's going to be the dog's (small black lab) sleeping quarters when we camp.
I looked for about six months for one with the floor plan it has. I will sometimes use the back for a cargo area as I do antique radio shows and don't always want to pull my small enclosed 5'x10' trailer with the radio stuff in it. My wife and I will use it for camping with the canoe and our kayaks. I have a utility trailer with racks on top for the boats.
It's got 82,000 miles on it and both mechanics that have worked on it so far have said it's in great shape with no rust underneath. I found it in the next state but for $1,800 it was worth the trip. It had the new break system and shocks already for that price.
Between the repairs it's needed and a new heavy duty hitch I've put about $600 into it to get it ready for the road.
Still needs a new front bumper and a bigger battery put back in it but it's road worthy now.
Thanks to all for the roof cleaning tips. I've used it for one show already but the first camping trip to the Adirondacks is in two weeks so the propane/stove check over is next. I guess I'll have to call around to RV places to see who will check it out for me.
I have the Ford Econoline manual but not the camper manual for it.
Took the B in to have the propane system checked out this week. Something had chewed through one of the lines. They replaced it, checked out the stove, heater, and hot water. Everything is working fine now. They also replaced the flush valve on the back of the toilet and fixed a leaky water line.
Using it at a antique radio show in Rochester NY next week and then my wife and I are taking it on it's first canoe camping trip with us. It will be towing the canoe/kayak trailer up to the Adirondacks. Should make an excellent base camp.