|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Convert gas furnace to electric

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
M00d

Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone converted their gas furnace to electric? Would it be possible to keep the existing blower/thermostat and replace the hearth with one or two heat strips? It sure would be nice to have ducked electric heat.

Larryect

Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the AC units have an option to add electric heat. That is probably a much simpler way of adding electric heat to a rig.

M00d

Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larryect wrote:

Most of the AC units have an option to add electric heat. That is probably a much simpler way of adding electric heat to a rig.

I don't think you can add a heat strip to ducked AC systems like mine. At least I haven't seen it, correct me if I'm wrong.

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It probably could be done on a small RV. Some rigs have heat strips in the AC, which are ok to take a chill out. I winter camp. I use 2 1500 watt electric heaters, when power is available, and still need the gas furnace to kick on on occasion. 3 heaters might cover it, but not with 30 amp service. I am not sure how many amps would be needed to make an electric furnace capable of matching the btu's of my propane furnace.

Full timing it since July 2012

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your RV furnace is probably between 20,000 and 60,000 BTU depending on it's size. that would take an AWFULLY lot of electricity to come even CLOSE to replicating that amount of heat.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To heat an RV on very cold nights would probably require more power than even a 50 amp connection could deliver.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

M00d

Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in MS it usually doesn't get much colder than 20 at night. We sometimes have a cold snap during the winter where we might see single digit temps for a night or two, but that is very rare. Last year in my driveway I ran a 1500 watt heater and the floor furnace full blast one night when the temps went into the teens an my RV only reached the upper 60's. I must have a low btu floor furnace, need to check that. I believe two electric heaters would put out more heat than my gas furnace.

I have a 33' bunkhouse, basically a three room rv. I'm thinking of installing three of the below ceiling mount heaters, one in each room. I think that will keep us toasty down to 15 or so degrees, at that point I'd have to kick on the furnace for some added heat.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I am able to heat my RV on 4500 watts of electric heaters. That would be at temperatures of -25 C and lower. That represents about 15000 BTU's. My hourly loss is about 9000 btu's.

On a 50 amp RV 12000 watts would be available for heating. That is nearly 41000 btu's--or enough to heat a pretty darn large RV.

There is an "add on" kit that can be retro fitted to an RV allowing the propane furnace to remain intact. It is not inexpensive. Here is a link to it:

Cheap Heat (NOT)

Instead of getting that unit, I'd recommend upgrading the air-conditioner to a Heat Pump.

I have added a 2nd thermostat for my furnace only so I can use the heat strip in my ducted air conditioner. I set the furnace to "cut in" at a lower temperature.

I've also added a thermostatically controlled fan to under the kitchen cabinets to prevent water lines from freezing when I'm running on electric heat only. A nice side benefit is that it causes some air to flow through the regular furnace ducts.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

M00d

Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I am able to heat my RV on 4500 watts of electric heaters. That would be at temperatures of -25 C and lower. That represents about 15000 BTU's. My hourly loss is about 9000 btu's.

On a 50 amp RV 12000 watts would be available for heating. That is nearly 41000 btu's--or enough to heat a pretty darn large RV.

There is an "add on" kit that can be retro fitted to an RV allowing the propane furnace to remain intact. It is not inexpensive. Here is a link to it:

Cheap Heat (NOT)

Instead of getting that unit, I'd recommend upgrading the air-conditioner to a Heat Pump.

I have added a 2nd thermostat for my furnace only so I can use the heat strip in my ducted air conditioner. I set the furnace to "cut in" at a lower temperature.

I've also added a thermostatically controlled fan to under the kitchen cabinets to prevent water lines from freezing when I'm running on electric heat only. A nice side benefit is that it causes some air to flow through the regular furnace ducts.

Don,

How large is your rv and how well would the heat pump do by itself?
If the temp were zero Celsius what would be the inside temp of your RV using only the heat pump? I love the idea of the heat pump as it would use my existing duck work/wiring and be a simple solution, although a bit more expensive that electric heaters.

Thanks

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/11 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the "Cheap Heat" system and it's $1000!!!
How the heck is that cheap??

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Convert gas furnace to electric
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS