|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> '11 HR Endeavour 43DFT or '11 Tiffin Phaeton 42QBH

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Purcy2000

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/11 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trying to decide between these two coaches. My wife fell in love with the floorplan of the Endevour 43DFT. The full wall slide really opens up the space. We have never owned a coach, so this will be our first purchase. Some things that I really like about the HR, are the bigger engine (425ISL vs 380ISC), no DEF system on the HR, Roadmaster chasis (good sales pitch anyway), and it is cheaper than the Tiffin. Tiffin seems to have a better reputation and possible resale? Any thoughts on things to consider or that we may have overlooked would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/11 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purcy2000 wrote:

Trying to decide between these two coaches. My wife fell in love with the floorplan of the Endevour 43DFT. The full wall slide really opens up the space. We have never owned a coach, so this will be our first purchase. Some things that I really like about the HR, are the bigger engine (425ISL vs 380ISC), no DEF system on the HR, Roadmaster chasis (good sales pitch anyway), and it is cheaper than the Tiffin. Tiffin seems to have a better reputation and possible resale? Any thoughts on things to consider or that we may have overlooked would be appreciated.

Thanks,

the engine size alone would move me to the HR.I have a 4 slide 40FT with the 425isl clean burn and the power is barely adaquite.
so add 2-3 ft and go 45 horse and 250LB torque less? I would not!
Also if your worried about resale U have to be crazy to buy new.
Is the HR cheaper because of less options?I would thought it would be more as the engine package adds a bit of money to the HR over the Tiffin? if we are comparing options to options that is?

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/11 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DISCLAIMER: I am biased towards the 10 airbag Monaco suspension because of it's rock solid handling. Monaco was smart enough to buy up extra pre the latest BS emmisions standards engines and that alone is reason enough to go with the Monaco. I cannot beleive they are getting 380HP out of the 8.3 ISC engine (started life at 250HP) although the ISL is just a stroked ISC but it puts out 1200 ftlbs. Well, there's three reasons for the Monaco. If I ever have to replace mine (because of a wreck) it will be with another used pre 2010 Monaco tag axle DP.
Tiffin makes a fine product, but not sure why they go with the smaller engines.
I'm glad there are people that buy new ones (so I can buy used) but for $150K you could buy a 06 Monaco Dynasty or even a Exeutive with more standard features and 30K miles. Don't get me started on putting down $100K and financing the balance so you will not be upside down on a new one.
I am glad that you are starting at where it took me three times and lots of lost dollars to get to... A tag axle DP and if it was used I rate it five stars.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/11 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

DISCLAIMER: I am biased towards the 10 airbag Monaco suspension because of it's rock solid handling. Monaco was smart enough to buy up extra pre the latest BS emmisions standards engines and that alone is reason enough to go with the Monaco. I cannot beleive they are getting 380HP out of the 8.3 ISC engine although the ISL is just a stroked ISC but it puts out 1200 ftlbs. Well, there's three reasons for the Monaco. If I ever have to replace mine (because of a wreck) it will be with another pre 2010 Monaco tag axle DP.

the 425isl cummins has lots of emmission stuff also.The muffler system is all electronically controlled.Very exspensive to replace.
I like it though as there is no soot from the tail pipe and the TOAD stays clean.Very nice in that fact alone.(i have one)

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/11 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 09 Endeavor pre Navistar with the SKQ floor plan...After I got the bugs out of it, it is one heck of a coach...I love the ISL engine and the DPF regenerates about once every 2000-2500 miles....Don't get me wrong, I have a reduced CCC because of no tag but I'm Ok with it...next one if there is a next one will have a tag..I know Tiffin is renowned for its customer service but they have their share of bugs as well....it comes down to drive quality and if that's the same then the price...Either way, you'll be picking a winner...

Stuart and Stella Denning
2009 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Sierra,Daisy and Sylvie)
2007 Saturn Vue (TOAD)

I tawt I taw a puddy tat

webhannet

Southern Coastal Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/11 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have questions about the future of Monaco. They've recently "downsized" the NEW Monaco (from WHAT? They "just started"!), and are taking a $100. million charge to save $20. million a year. That sounds very odd for a two year old company! They've closed Oregon manufacturing and moved closer to "the office. The man who runs Monaco does his job from a remote (re: removed) location - how odd! Read the posts from "old" Monaco owners who have little support - you could join the ranks. Call them to ask a question about a (ficticious) "old" Monaco. I can't imagine putting over $200,000. into such a situation.

The full-wall slide was a big problem before the bankruptcy, and you'll notice there are very few other brands making them. I looked at two of them, and the problems were obvious - the slide was too large to make rigid. I wouldn't put money in one of those. For over a year after "old" Monaco collaped, full wall slide models were still unsold on dealer's lots - and dealers were very creative in finding ways to advertise them without saying, "Full Wall Slide". I bet you'd have a hard time trading one of the earlier models today - and you have no assurance for future value (or useability) in a new one. "Edsel" dies hard - even though it was FORD underneath.

I have a Tiffin, and I can tell you they aren't perfect - BUT they will take care of you - and they WILL stay in business.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/11 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem I see with a full wall slide is fitting into some campsites. Sometimes you have to adjust where you park depending on trees, utility connections, etc. Just something to think about....

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/11 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

The problem I see with a full wall slide is fitting into some campsites. Sometimes you have to adjust where you park depending on trees, utility connections, etc. Just something to think about....

Not really.Take a living room slide at 16-18 ft and then the 8ft bedroom slide on the same side is really no different
Utility connections are usually under 2-3 ft tall

NorCal Dan

Ocean Park, WA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/11 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monaco has always supported me when either my dealer or myself call. With my coach number they can tell me just about anything about my coach. It's true that during the bankruptcy it was impossible to contact them, but since coming back I haven't had any problems.

I also own a full wall slide SFT and have no complaints. The way it opens up the interior space is amazing. It also allows full access to everything except the pantry when closed. I am not aware of any "big problem" with the super-slide, either before or after the bankruptcy.

It's not unusual to see negative comments from a non-Monaco owner.

As for the OP, I think you would enjoy either coach, so pick the floor plan that you find most appealing. I have the 400 ISL and it has plenty of power and is giving me almost 10mpg.

'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

Waco Kid

Honey Brook Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/11 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at Monaco last month for service and it was great, Monacos tech service by way of a phone is also great. Tiffin is one of the few who do not make a full wall slide. I've been fulltiming four years and have yet to hear of any full wall slide issues. My tag axel and 400 ISL are a great combo. Monaco makes a great product INMHO. I can't speak for Tiffin because I haven't owned one. My next coach will be a Monaco.....Bruce

• Bruce & Sandy
  • 07 Scepter 42PDQ
  • 1 Golden Retreiver

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> '11 HR Endeavour 43DFT or '11 Tiffin Phaeton 42QBH
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts