RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 6.0 Powerstroke towing turbo failures.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.0 Powerstroke towing turbo failures.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mr. Black

South Hill, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/11 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who's had them and what were the symptoms?

We are about 200 miles from home and have gone through 2 mountian passes at around 19k pounds combined. The truck overboosted 3 times on the way here. Had to pull over and reset the codes to get the power back every time. Getting both overboost and turbo underboost codes.

There has to be some sort of problem with the turbo vanes? I can't even put about two thirds throttle in it or it gets pissed off. The truck is stock and I would think I should be able to just floor it and let the computer handle it's self.

Truck runs fine unloaded.

Steve

2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 LB, Bone Stock. B&W Turnover / Companion. Airlift Airbags 57291. Leveling Kit. RS9000 Shocks.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/11 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've climbed hills at 22k+ GCVW, foot on the floor doing 25 mph and never had those symptoms. That's with a 6.0 in a 2006 F-250 crew cab.

Please keep us posted. I'm anxious to hear how this turns out.

Larry

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/11 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe an air leak somewhere?

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/11 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had the 6.0 blues in 2004, my best friend has a 04 and it wont run at all and it only has about 40k. Its out of waranty because of time not miles. I now own a 08 psd and love it! Good luck keep us posted on solution.

FordMastertech

Burlington CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/11 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the variable turbo vanes are sticking/coked or a worn out or sticking unison ring inside the turbo. I see this on a lot of low mileage low use trucks that sit a lot then get asked to work hard. Ford has a TSB, 09-16-5, on this issue with several different repairs depending on what is found when the turbo is dissembled. These are some the DTCs that usually get set. P0238, P0299, P0404, P0478, P2262 and/or P2263.

Tim & Donna ">
04 Prowler Lynx 830Y lots of mods 16 inch LT tires
00 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD Pullrite Prodigy Autometer Gauges Magnaflow Exhaust DP Tuner Chip Terminator Big Oil ">
2 Kids Nikki & Tyler ">
2 Goldens Sage & Cayenne ">

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/11 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This from Wikipedia....re: the 6.0 PSD

Some of the problems encountered, was the possibility of the variable geometry turbo charger to stick due to carbon deposits and/or rust buildup. This could potentially cause over boost and under boost conditions, which could lead to headgasket failure. Other problems include sticking EGR valves, restricted oil coolers, which lead to leaking EGR coolers. Numerous PCM (Powetrain Control Module) recalibrations, fuel injector stiction along with several other driveability and QC issues. The major problem with the 6.0L was the torque-to-yield head bolts, and poor head gasket design, both leading to a blown head gasket, and eventually a cracked cylinder head.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/11 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I lost mine on my '05 6.0, I had very little boost showing on the gauge, no power, and poor acceleration. Fortunately, I was just a few miles out of Riverton, WY, and managed to get to the Ford dealer there. Got first class service from them, only lost one day of the trip.

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/11 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FordMastertech wrote:

Sounds like the variable turbo vanes are sticking/coked or a worn out or sticking unison ring inside the turbo. I see this on a lot of low mileage low use trucks that sit a lot then get asked to work hard. Ford has a TSB, 09-16-5, on this issue with several different repairs depending on what is found when the turbo is dissembled. These are some the DTCs that usually get set. P0238, P0299, P0404, P0478, P2262 and/or P2263.

Exact same thing happened on my parents' '04 6.0. Truck would want to over-boost. Dad and I pulled the turbo out of the truck and separated the exhaust housing. Scrubbed the unison ring and the vanes with a couple scouring (scotch brite) pads and stuffed it back together. Worked like a champ after that.

If you've got some tools this is something that can be done on your own. The hardest part is getting the exhaust hooked back up to the turbo. This can be done in a parking lot in a few hours time.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

W4RLR

Sewanee, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/11 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

This from Wikipedia....re: the 6.0 PSD

Some of the problems encountered, was the possibility of the variable geometry turbo charger to stick due to carbon deposits and/or rust buildup. This could potentially cause over boost and under boost conditions, which could lead to headgasket failure. Other problems include sticking EGR valves, restricted oil coolers, which lead to leaking EGR coolers. Numerous PCM (Powetrain Control Module) recalibrations, fuel injector stiction along with several other driveability and QC issues. The major problem with the 6.0L was the torque-to-yield head bolts, and poor head gasket design, both leading to a blown head gasket, and eventually a cracked cylinder head.
And remember that ANYONE, including those with an axe to grind, can edit a Wikipedia page.

I have experienced none of these problems with my 6.0. I also work my truck hard and taking the dealer's advice, have blown the snot out of it on I-10 whenever possible. No sticky turbo, no overboost, no leaky EGR cooler, NOTHING.

Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Camper JamesB

Wichita

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/11 01:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an idea, is the intercooler hose still hooked up? My dad's blew off on his 04, had almost no power.

If it was overboosting, it couldnt be the hose, but thought I would mention it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.0 Powerstroke towing turbo failures.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS