|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Outdoor Kitchen Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
gilly99

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/11 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all. We are making a list of things we want in our next camper. Currently have a HTT and hope to get something new within the year. I was wondering if anyone with an outdoor kitchen could tell me things you love about it or don't love about it. Trying to decide if it is a MUST or just a WANT. Thanks!!!

Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/11 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us it is a must now that we have it. Last year we had a TT that did not have it and most of the cooking(except grilling) was done inside. Plus we always had to lug a 100qt cooler with us every weekend and this not only took up space but had to make ice all week long.

We LOVE the outside kitchen. The fridge packs plenty of drinks for us and the kids. The pull out stove connects to the TT with a quick connect so gone are the little propane bottles I used to bring to use a coleman stove. I know, some people bring a 20 lb cylinder to use but that is just one more thing I don't have to bring nor do I have to run lines to the tanks on my tongue. The sink is great for washing up the dishes, hands etc. Ours has storage for extra pots and pans and I keep all the utensils for cooking outside with me as well. We have a microwave which gets used occassionaly but nice to have to keep the smells outside.

I would not consider a unit without one when we are in the market again. MFRs continue to improve them knowing that they are now considered wanted vs a fade. In fact, Trailer Life just confirmed that consumers consider this a want and not a fade and mfrs are including them with many units now.

lfloom

Pasadena

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/11 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love ours (Primetime 318bhs) But, I did not think an extra fridge was necessary - I see the outdoors one as being used for canned drinks, etc, but we do not drink soda or beer. I had them remove it, so I would have more counter space.

The sink is not terribly useful for anything beyond handwashing. The faucet is too low to fill pots, kettles, etc - so we bought a 4 cup measure and use that.

The counter space is for keeping things, but is too high for cooking, so we bought an extra table for that. But when we set up it is just open the table, open the hatch, hook up the stove (and BBQ, which is mounted on the bumper) and we are good to go. We keep a toaster, electric kettle, small dish rack and other useful items on the counter. We keep all our pots and pans in the cupboards.

lfloom

Pasadena

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/11 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, expect a lot of admiring visitors to your site if you do get one.

partman

S.E. Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/11 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, it's a lot like having four wheel drive and an extended cab truck.... once you upgrade you'll never want to be without it.

My wife loves it, she always hated getting meals ready in the camper while everybody else was outside, she thought she was missing out, but now she can do it all right outside and not miss anything. Another benefit (for her), I tend to help out more with the cooking and cleaning outside, it gets too crowded inside!

PSUCamper

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/11 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that I have it I could never go back.

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/11 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never seen one, can we get some pictures?

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

jasoncw

Brownstown, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/11 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love mine, and so do others in the CGs we visit! Like said, the fridge is best mostly for drinks, which we use frequently. Ours has an outdoor sink, drawer, and couple cupboards as well. VERY handy, and I don't think I could go back to not having an outdoor kitchen.

2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 3.73's, RAS, Equal-i-zer, P3

JN_B

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/11 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have one but was considering one when we purchased last year.
The big deciding factor for me is that on a 30' trailer there's a very good chance on most sites we visit, the kitchen is going to be resting on the ground or very high up. In other words.. the sites have to be close to level for the kitchen to be convenient/usablew. And since I have purchased our current trailer, there has been a number of sites where I can barely get the rear pass. side slide out, let alone swing up a 4' door.
IMHO, the most valuable parts of the o/s kitchen are the fridge & sink. But I currently use our o/s shower and will be purchasing a plug-in cooler this fall. Good enough for me.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD SLT
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/11 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the type of camping we do, it is fantastic. We relax at the campground with friends and kids go off to play. The outside fridge makes it great for can or bottle beverage. The counter space is great for the Margarita maker. The faucet is too small, and I plan to replace with a taller model. Not having to go in to trailer or carry second small fridge and place under trailer is great.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2011 Silverado 2500HD CC (6.0, 3.73)
previous 2001 Yukon XL (8.1L, 4.10)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS
previous - 2002 Dutchmen 31BH4DSL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Outdoor Kitchen Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts