RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: What is your "Whoops" moment?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What is your "Whoops" moment?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ata3001

Niagara Falls, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/11 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never really thought of it, but I actually haven't had one in 16 yrs of towing. 9 yrs with a pop-up & 7 yrs with 2 different TT's. Just lucky I guess...

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

TallTeam

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/11 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going from Yellowstone to Cody, some RV'er had told us about a shortcut that would save a few miles. Only this shortcut had a 90 degree right hand turn which we missed.

We both decided (me, DW driving, DH advising), we could make the turn in the large gravel lot just past the missed turn. As I turned into the gravel lot, the rear tires sunk into the "valley", the Class C hitch bottomed out digging the tow dolly tongue into the gravel. Couldn't budge any direction. Couldn't lower the tow dolly to unload the car. No cell service. Nothin' in sight.

Thankfully, a good samaritan took DH to the nearest house where a good ole boy had just the equipment to rig an off ramp to unload the toad. We were on our way in less than 2 hours and the local man was a few dollars richer. The 10 mile short cut DID NOT save us time or money.

That was 10 years ago, it was our 3rd lesson in how not to make a turn and hopefully our last.

starlord

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/11 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Backing my not very old Jayco into the driveway, like to get it close because it's marginally slightly over the limit for how far back from the curb it has to be here in San Antonio, well, those spikes they mount gutters with will poke nasty holes in the back of a trailer.....very high up too.

2010_Jayco

New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/11 04:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first year with the old sportsman wasn't too bad. Only a few whoops. 1st one was on the third trip out. Forgot to block wheels, it wasn't too bad. Only about 5 feet. Now i leave the chains on till i get it off the ball. 2nd was the same trip, about 5 ' short for the power cord. The last big one was just a bad trip all around. Got out of work late for.the July 4th weekend so i was in a hurry so i filled with water before we left. Only problem the pump wouldn't pump. It was under the bed with other stuff. As i pulled the table out and was sitting it in the bath tub it dropped and cracked the bottom of the tub and put a big hole in it. Did get the pump working after 30 minutes of fighting with it. So on to the campground 40 minutes away. On the way the tailgate of the truck opened and dropped the wheel chocks on the road and some blocks. Never missed the chocks till i got to the campground right after dark. After getting set up that ice cold beer never tasted so good. 3 years later and no problems since.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500, Qud cab long box
2010 Jayco JayFlight G2 29 BHS
2005 Chevrolet Equinox AWD

MartyMoose

Worthington, OH

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/11 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My fisrt outing with my new trailer this year....
The dealer left both tanks open.....so when I removed the cap to dump.....all heck broke loose.....

Mental note.....ALWAYS check your tank levers before removing your cap....LOL

2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat

jwblock

Sussex Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/11 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is fun!

Wife reminded me to pick up new mattress. I forgot to pick them up. I forgot to tell her I threw the old one's out. 10 days in Canada, Wife not happy!

I do not recommend trying to remove WD bars with tipping the unit.
I do not recommend leaving the awning up, even if you are just moving one site down. By the time you get there a tree could grow and get in your way.

Always make sure you are filling the fresh water tank and not the power cord. The look the same, kinda!

Ranger told me I had to park on the gravel. I borrowed some gravel from behind the truck, and moved it to the front tire. Ranger did not like that, no sense of humor. Got ticket and then shut up....

We Cant Wait

Jamestown NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/11 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

July 4th weekend, 1st trip out with new Rockwood 2604, also 1st camper with front window cover. Weekend over, closed everything up hooked-up and left. Stopped 5 miles down the road for fuel. Done fueling, went inside for receipt. Coming out I saw that I still had the front window cover open (must have walked by it 6 times closing-up and hooking up). It was bowed up about 3" in the center, was able to bend it back 99% straight, and latch it closed. Front window cover stays closed all the time now while camping.

fil564

Pittsburgh, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/11 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year putting ours in storage, I was getting ready to unhook and thought why do I need to keep the coupler hooked while raising the TT to relieve the tension from the WD bars. Thought I would save some time and release the coupler and raise the TT slightly and my question was quickly answered when I released the bars and the TV dropped and the tailgate smacked off of the tongue. Now there is 1 1/2" scratch in the tailgate and luckily that is all.

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7L
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2014
1 Wife
2 Spoiled Shih Tzus

pappcam

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/11 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only whoops moment I had with our first trip with our new TT last week was getting it all set up and level only to realize I was 3 feet short on the power cord and we didn't have an extension. I had to hook back up to the truck, pull it up 4 or 5 feet and re-level it.

I'm sure there will be more head slapping moments to come though.

2012 Flagstaff 27 BESS
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Camper JamesB

Wichita

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/11 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I waited till the last minute to winterize my TT. By last minute I mean it was 30 minutes till dark and its going to freeze that night, it was probably 40 degrees out. I hooked up my compressor and started blowing the lines out, got all the faucets done and decided to do the water heater. It was now getting dark and much colder. I unscrewed the big plastic drain plug and the 20psi of air behind the water made for a nice cold and powerful shower. Luckily I was almost done and only had about 10 min left to finish in freezing cold, soaked clothes.

We were camping at a concert event and had one of the only TT's in our group of friends. I was being the nice guy and let the ladies use the toilet because the CG bathroom was gross. 2 days into the 5 day event the blank tank was about to overflow and I had to tell them all no. There was no way to move the TT to dump, there were tents pretty much touching the TT. I went from a popular nice guy to a jerk for saying no to drunk women...lol

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What is your "Whoops" moment?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS