|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Badeye

Bonaire GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After buying a Chev Cruze and then finding out that the Chev Cruze was not towable 4 down I was assured by the dealer that the 2012 Malibu was towabe 4 down. I also read it in the owner's manual. I traded for the Malibu.

Through this forum I got information that made me believe that they were wrong. I kept looking for a definite answer and called GM Customer Service. The first two people that I talked to did not have a clue what I was talking about. I finally got through to a Supervisor and she started digging into the matter. Now, just as we were preparing to install the base plate, I find that the Malibu with the 6 speed automatic transmission is not dingy towable. I am waiting now on a call from GM to tell me how they or the dealer will handle the situation. That call is supposed to come tomorrow according to the GM Customer Service supervisor.

I now know that even though the Owner's Manual says that the vehicle is dingy towable, it may not be. How do we determine which vehicles are flat towable and which are not if we cannot depend on the car manufacturer's Owner's Manual? In the case of the Cruze and the Malibu both manuals said that it was flat towable. I am truly dissapointed in GM.

UPDATE: As noted in a later post, I am now assured by GM Area Rep that the Malibu 2011 and 2012 with the 6 speed automatic are towable. There was a lot of confusion at GM about the subject. Bad communication between engineering and sales.

Badeye

* This post was edited 09/09/11 07:04pm by Badeye *

"No one can guarantee success, only effort."

Bob & Fran
2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Elite 40 ft DP
2012 Chevy Malibu
Ready Brute Tow Bar
Ready Brake Tow Brake
FMCA F324606

sepisllib

Cresco, Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Badeye wrote:

After buying a Chev Cruze and then finding out that the Chev Cruze was not towable 4 down I was assured by the dealer that the 2012 Malibu was towabe 4 down. I also read it in the owner's manual. I traded for the Malibu.

Through this forum I got information that made me believe that they were wrong. I kept looking for a definite answer and called GM Customer Service. The first two people that I talked to did not have a clue what I was talking about. I finally got through to a Supervisor and she started digging into the matter. Now, just as we were preparing to install the base plate, I find that the Malibu with the 6 speed automatic transmission is not dingy towable. I am waiting now on a call from GM to tell me how they or the dealer will handle the situation. That call is supposed to come tomorrow according to the GM Customer Service supervisor.

I now know that even though the Owner's Manual says that the vehicle is dingy towable, it may not be. How do we determine which vehicles are flat towable and which are not if we cannot depend on the car manufacturer's Owner's Manual? In the case of the Cruze and the Malibu both manuals said that it was flat towable. I am truly dissapointed in GM.

Badeye

Bob.

That transmission was "specifically" designed and engineered - as a joint venture between Ford and GM several years ago - to be towable. Is incorporates a special "drip" pan feature that lubricates the necessary seals and bearings.

I don't know if I could locate the article now - however I will look and see if I can.

Good Luck

God Bless

Bill

Bill W. Trammell
Wife - Judy
2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor
2008 Malibu 2LT toad

NavyChaps

Bartlett, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thus why I am driving a Ford....

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V, Ford 6.8l V-10, Stow Master 5000 Tow Bar, Blue Ox Patriot Brake System; Protect-a-Tow Toad:2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4/1992 Chev S-10.

Norm Payne

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Badeye wrote:

How do we determine which vehicles are flat towable and which are not if we cannot depend on the car manufacturer's Owner's Manual? In the case of the Cruze and the Malibu both manuals said that it was flat towable. I am truly dissapointed in GM.

Badeye

Buy a Honda CR-V or a Jeep.

Norm
2005 Dutch Star 4015, Cummins ISL 370 hp
2007 Honda CR-V
See Ya Down The Road
http://www.seeya-downtheroad.com

Badeye

Bonaire GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NavyChaps,

The transmission that is giving them the problem is the one that was co-developed by GM and Ford and is the one that is giving Ford so many problems in the Escape. Some owners have had multiple replacements. I looked into an Escape before I started looking at the Cruze but did not know about the common transmission till much later.

Badeye

sdometahi

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Badeye wrote:

NavyChaps,

The transmission that is giving them the problem is the one that was co-developed by GM and Ford and is the one that is giving Ford so many problems in the Escape. Some owners have had multiple replacements. I looked into an Escape before I started looking at the Cruze but did not know about the common transmission till much later.

Badeye

My friend had towing problems with the 2010 escape even though ford said it was good.They fixed it under warrenty.He,s never had a problem since?

sdometahi

canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Norm Payne wrote:

Badeye wrote:

How do we determine which vehicles are flat towable and which are not if we cannot depend on the car manufacturer's Owner's Manual? In the case of the Cruze and the Malibu both manuals said that it was flat towable. I am truly dissapointed in GM.

Badeye

actually a Trail blazer or envoy are much nicer vehicles and tow very well problem free.The CRV is small and ugly and as far as iam concerned jeeps are overpriced and over rated junk .JMHO

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

actually a Trail blazer or envoy are much nicer vehicles and tow very well problem free.The CRV is small and ugly and as far as iam concerned jeeps are overpriced and over rated junk .JMHO

sdometahi, why not tell us how you REALLY feel about Honda and Jeep........Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Badeye

Bonaire GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/11 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive,

I would but the cost is a factor, fuel mileage and they are heavier. I got rid of a very good Dodge Durango for those reasons (fuel mileage and weight). It did tow well and if I had known what I was getting in to I would still have it.

Badeye

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/11 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get something with a manual transmission, before they become extinct.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS