|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Lighting Oven for First Time

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atwood says it's a bad idea to light the burners. If you light the pilot properly and use the oven, if you do not turn it to the "off" position when through, but only back to "pilot" position, the pilot will remain lit for next use. Just don't forget to turn it off when you leave for home. Otherwise, if the propane tank is on, say for the fridge, so will the pilot light be on.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
Equalizer WDH
'02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD, PacBrake,
6.0 cooler, Ford AIS, Isspro trans. gauge
Flashpaq tuner, AirLift airbags
2013 Ford Expedition King Ranch

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cekkk wrote:

Atwood says it's a bad idea to light the burners..
They have to.

Steamguy

The Windy Columbia Gorge

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was shown this really slick way and it still works; here's why: Most ovens have two pilots - the standing pilot and the burner pilot.

The standing pilot is what comes on (and stays on) when the knob is set to PILOT. It is so tiny, plus where it's located, it's nearly impossible to get lit.

When burner heat is called for, the burner pilot comes on - it's about three times the power of the standing pilot - and it doesn't blow out easily from the force of the burner coming on. The burner pilot is easy to find with your big butane match and so it's much easier to get lit.

Here's how to do it: Turn the oven to some temperature (like 250) and get your big butane match in the region of the burner pilot to light it. All you have to do is play the match around the end of the burner pilot and it'll light. You'll find it's a LOT easier to locate and a LOT easier to light. This way,the oven will light first time, every time.

I'm going to try posting some pix here to show the difference...

These pictures show a side view, to make it easier to see.

Standing pilot level:

Burner pilot:

Hope this helps!

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have yet to find a gas match that isn't a piece of junk! My idea for a patent pending is a long handled campfire hot dog stick with a small, round motive candle soldiered to the end of it.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

eastern shore girl

eastern shore of Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I HATE lighting the oven. Always afraid I'm going to blow myself up! It does take a little time, the air has to be purged out of the line first. Maybe someone could invent something to tell us when the line is purged, like a sensor that beeps. Or just invent a line that doesn't ever need purging after the first use ever. I know...dream on.

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

cekkk wrote:

Atwood says it's a bad idea to light the burners..
They have to.
I know where you're coming from. I'm sick of lawyers and insurance companies superceding truthful information everywhere. My digital camera came with pages of warnings of how it could kill me. But as a former volunteer firefighter, I've seen badly burned people. On this one, I'll go with using the pilot.

pasusan

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 04:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

janechucknicodemus wrote:

Why can't they put in a pezo lighter and get rid of laying on the dang floor ? I think I am going to do it (soon as the warranty is out)
All it can do is burn the place down.
Cheers
C

Here ya go - in the DIY forum a bunch of folks have done the mod to add a lighter to the stove top and oven:
Linky

Trip Pics

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub

janechucknicodemus

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 12:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why can't they put in a pezo lighter and get rid of laying on the dang floor ? I think I am going to do it (soon as the warranty is out)
All it can do is burn the place down.
Cheers
C

wmoses

Houston, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbrown62 uses the technique that is stated in my manual and for me it works just fine.

For both the hot water heater and my oven pilot (and I think also my residential hot water heater in my attic) the instruction is to turn the button or knob to the Pilot position and press the button or knob down. Then introduce the flame to the pilot nozzle -- use a butane lighter not a match. In my case the flame will "take" in about 5 - 10 seconds. Once it is lit, remain pressing the knob or button for another 20 - 30 seconds then release the button or knob. The pilot will now be lit. No need to turn the temperature up as that is potentially unsafe.

Of course the above presumes that the air in the gas line to the stove has been purged, including the air to the pilot light.

No need to fear lighting the stove with this method. There is so little propane released that there is a minute chance of blowing up (eastern shore girl).

Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wbrown62

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never used mine, but I found I have to turn the knob to "pilot", press down and while pressing, use a lighter to light the pilot. Even when the pilot light is lit, I still have to keep pressing the knob down for about 10 - 15 seconds. Otherwise the pilot just goes out. Once the pilot remains lit, I then can choose the desired temperature for the oven.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Lighting Oven for First Time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: