|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How Many Loan Your TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
summerhouse

Big Rapids, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have our two daughters and their DH travel and camp with us in our motorhome several times a season. One has tried very hard to learn how all the systems work, including dumping the tanks. I still wouldn't loan it, and I'm fairly certain neither would even ask. By being close to us, they know how expensive it is and how complicated it all really is.
We are agreed that we would never ever loan our RV.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - 'Summerhouse'
Ford 6.8 L Triton V10 5spd

“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

sbowman871

Wilmington, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only to my SIL. He knows how anal I am about our TT and would trust only him pulling it and setting it up.

Steve

2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sbowman871 wrote:

Only to my SIL. He knows how anal I am about our TT and would trust only him pulling it and setting it up.

Steve

Yea, I think it might be different with someone you know very well and have a lot of trust in. Most of the people we know just know nothing about TT's, and the ones who would even ask, are the ones we wouldn't want to loan something like that out to in the first place.

trailernovice

Mission TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a way to look at it...we all remember (for some, more recent than others) getting that walk-through at the dealer when getting our very first RV, or whatever other way we had our first exposure to one...and, if others are like me and dw, that was just (as they say in aviation), a license to learn...ex. over new years weekend, our furnace started blowing cold...didn't occur to me (until prompted by helpful forum members) that maybe, just maybe, i needed to switch propane tanks...

now, here comes your brother in law or whatever, wanting to borrow your RV....you really going to feel comfortable in treating him like a half-witted child for two or three hours to get him up to speed, just barely??? (THAT is the toilet....underneath the TOILET is a TANK...and you have to empty THAT tank, plus the other one...and the way you DO that, is you hook this doohickey up to the outlet thingamabob--making sure everything is tight...and put the OTHER end into a hole in the ground....and open THIS thing, and the the OTHER thing, IN order)

And, as others have said, kinda inappropriate to ask in the first place, unless you are really, REALLY close to the owner

Glenn and Toni
2011 Palomino Puma 25BH
2012 Tundra double cab 4.6 V8 with tow package
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailernovice wrote:

Here's a way to look at it...we all remember (for some, more recent than others) getting that walk-through at the dealer when getting our very first RV, or whatever other way we had our first exposure to one...and, if others are like me and dw, that was just (as they say in aviation), a license to learn...ex. over new years weekend, our furnace started blowing cold...didn't occur to me (until prompted by helpful forum members) that maybe, just maybe, i needed to switch propane tanks...

now, here comes your brother in law or whatever, wanting to borrow your RV....you really going to feel comfortable in treating him like a half-witted child for two or three hours to get him up to speed, just barely??? (THAT is the toilet....underneath the TOILET is a TANK...and you have to empty THAT tank, plus the other one...and the way you DO that, is you hook this doohickey up to the outlet thingamabob--making sure everything is tight...and put the OTHER end into a hole in the ground....and open THIS thing, and the the OTHER thing, IN order)

And, as others have said, kinda inappropriate to ask in the first place, unless you are really, REALLY close to the owner

You are correct. It took a long time when I got my first TT to learn the ins and outs, and a heck of a lot of forum posts and research. And add on to that the fact that I OWN the rig, and therefore making the payments and it being a very prized possession, I have a real vested interest in doing everything as correctly and safely as I can. You just can't expect a friend who has no clue about RV's to take the same care or time to research just for a cheap weekend getaway.

tnscoutr

Memphis, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have some friends that often hinted at borrowing our TT. After a couple of years of ignoring every hint, they finally bought their own PUP.

06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
04 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH

GilsTR

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I reflect back to my younger days....
I had a beautiful Shelby Mustang GT350. Loaned it to my best friend.
He T-boned a lady when he ran a stop sign. Car was never the same... and the friend ship was never the same.
Guess that is why my Pop always said..." I don't loan my wife and don't loan my knife!" Gil NoCal

L_R_G

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely agree with everyone else, just say NO. Right after I got mine my sister-in-law asked if they could borrow my truck and trailer to camp in throughout the spring and summer as their family of 6 plus huge dog go to sports camps and stuff like that. I think that takes a lot of nerve to ask to borrow things that valuable. They were a little unhappy with the answer they got, but the next spring they ended up getting their own truck and trailer, problem solved.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have four brothers and two sisters.
When I had the smaller TT: For the female side of the family I tow, set up, hand them the keys and say I'll be back Monday. Their DHs would be clueless in towing and do not have the proper TV. Two brothers could come by hitch up and take it any time. As a matter of fact one of them bought me a new set of tires and new sway bar a few years back. The other two would tear it up in a heartbeat and dodge all responsibility. That was the extent of loaning.

Now with the new large 32'er, nope and sorry. It's time you get your own.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 1500 2857

Freeman2004

Central CT, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My routine, every day answer would be HELL NO! With that said, two days ago I offered it to a gentleman I work with. After Irene came thru he is without power and expected to be without power for as much as a week more. His household includes a wife, daughter and a handicapped son. No way to cook, no hot water or refridgeration.
Rules become a little different in these situations.

Scott & Karen
2004 Fleetwood Monterey
2003 Ford Ranger Edge in Very, Very Red

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> How Many Loan Your TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts