RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Best Weight Distributing Hitch with Sway Control?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Best Weight Distributing Hitch with Sway Control?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kodiakcanuck

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Husky Centerline WDH with sway control that I use works very well. I have not experienced any sway with this set up, including passing trucks on the interstate. It is easy to hook up, and looked easy to install, but I had my dealer install it. I paid around $700 for it, but that's in Canada, I am sure it's cheaper in the US.

Here is a link for more info:
http://www.huskytow.com/FTP/PDF/P01045_HTCH_CenterLine.pdf

2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L - at last, a HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)

keithinspace

Fredericksburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

Not sure an RV newbie wants to do that and the PDI and buying paperwork.

I totally agree. It's a tough spot.

Unfortunately, the OP's brother is chosing to make a 6+ hour run to pick up the trailer. He needs to plan for it in whatever way he chooses. Best bet may be to "waste" $300 on a simple trunnion-bar WD hitch and drive home slow. An empty trailer may be just fine.

I installed my relatively difficult Hensley in about 4 hours without much more than a few wrenches and a good portable drill. That isn't out of the question if he plans for it. Heck...tow it to the nearest campground and do it the next day. Stranger things have happened!

2011 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 255BH
Hensley Arrow
2012 Ford F250 Lariat(6.7L Diesel, 3.55 gears, Crew with 6.5' Bed)
Me, Wife, Girl (9 YO), Boy (7 YO), Blind Beagle (108 YO), Tuxedo Cat (3 YO; 6 lives remaining)

Center Pin

Fort Langley, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crasster wrote:

I've NEVER once heard any complaints about Reese.

You have now! I ditched my Reese DC because I was constantly having to "dial it in" always adjusting because one trip the back of the truck had 200 lbs of stuff, next trip had 2000 lbs, etc. When dialed in it was good, but I was always having to dial it in.

Trailer: 07 Tango 299BHS w/ 225/70R15 LT Load Range D

TV: 2004.5 Dodge 610 CTD 3500 QC 48RE 2wd Laramie SRW, FP Gauge, FASS 95/95, Rhino Lining, Hensley Arrow, Air Bags & Compressor, Canopy, Custom Boat Rack.
Been running B100 home brew June 2008!

scottsnider

Buena Park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I switched from a w/d hitch and anti sway bar (friction type) to a Equal-i-zer and love the change and there is a different difference.

jasoncw

Brownstown, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

*snip* I like the Reese over EQ because it is quieter in operation and can be backed up with attached. It is a little more picky about being setup correctly.

I agree with the quieter operation, but if you grease it properly, it is relatively quiet. Not sure where you heard the deal about backing it up, but that is not the case with the Equal-i-zer. You are probably referring to a basic friction sway bar.

2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 3.73's, RAS, Equal-i-zer, P3

RVbikers

Red Hill, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Reese DC system. It took me a good afternoon to get it set up, not installation, but hitch height, angle, etc all "dialed in" as mentioned above. I wouldnt trust a dealers set up. Its fine for them to install, and if they do set it up, take time to check measurements and find a place to make fine tune adjustments if needed. Its a great product, and as stated is sway control, not elimination, but it does a damn fine job of it. I hear great things and have seen the demo videos of the Hensley Arrow and I agree it seems to be a superior system but I believe they run around the $3k mark.

If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.
Jim & Evelyn +6
  • 2005 Ford Excursion V-10
  • 1999 Dutchmen 30BH2
  • 1998 Sportster 1200
  • 2000 Sporster 883

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best bang for the buck is the Reese dual cam.

SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 3 dogs
2004 Ford Excursion LTD 4x4 V-10 3.73 Gears, Hellwig Swaybar, Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Super Duty Tow Mirrors
Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.

wilcamp

Belmont Co., OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

usmc616 wrote:

Best bang for the buck is the Reese dual cam.

X2!!!!!

I didn't have to fuss with the "dial it in" issues. I have a reliable dealership who did all that for me, and have never had the need to readjust anything. Having such a good service department isn't always a given, if you're driving the long distance to pick it up, but is a "priceless" asset for all your maintenance issues.

Wil, Tara, Nakeeta (Alaskan Husky 7 yr.-old), and Keeko (Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix 4 yr.-old)
2013 Jayco White Hawk 27 DSRB; 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4 Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi w/ 3.92 rear axle

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crasster wrote:

I've NEVER once heard any complaints about Reese.

Read this one.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25360846.cfm

2008 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch
Prodigy Controler

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an Equalizer hitch and I am happy with it. I have used them on two different trailers and they have performed well. The Best? Well, I do believe that the HA or PP are the best from everything I have read on this forum. Of course, they are by far the most expensive so I would look into all the variables. If I had a very long trailer and a very short WB TV, I would go that direction for sure.

I have never owned anything other than the Equalizer so I won't say it is the best bang for your buck because I really don't know about the other types. I would stay away from any add on friction bar and go with a Reese or an Equalizer based on the majority input here on the forum.

The only reason I avoided the Reese was because I did not like having to disconnect before backing which was necessary back in the old days. Today they are much improved. My brother had one and I also didn't like snapping the chains into position. I suppose I am a bit of a wimp but this part did not appeal to me. Read through this thread to get a feeling of what I was thinking.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25369618.cfm

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Best Weight Distributing Hitch with Sway Control?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS