We had reservations at Fort Mountain State Park in Georgia, but my DH canceled because of the storm that's headed that way by Monday, which is the day we were to leave. Now my question. Looking at the weather would you cancel if it looked like rain and wind for most of the week? Our friends still want to go. I have now idea if they will still go since we canceled.
And has anyone stayed at that state park. We picked it because they are leaving Atlanta and we would be leaving Tennessee so we could meet there before they would be returning to Louisiana.
My DH still thinks he is doing the right thing so since we are new at 5Th wheeling and camping in general I wanted your opinion. Thanks for your input. ;-)
When we were living in SW NC, NW SC & SE TN, if we had waited for there not to be rain in the forecast, we would have never gone camping. We just made sure we had videos for the tape player. And at the time, we camped in a hardsided pop-up. We like campgrounds in the rain. Very quiet. Kinda like going camping in the heart of winter. We like a deserted campground. Now we fulltime. Rain is no biggie.
That's a tough call. We've been to that park numerous times, most recently on Memorial Day weekend. Like the other poster stated, you will rarely find perfect camping weather. However, you will be on the mountain and it looks like a lot of rain headed this way. I have seen the clouds set in and really let it rip up there. If you decide to go and get a lot of rain you could go to Chattanooga for the day. I would say that since you are arriving on Labor Day you could still get a site if your husband changes his mind.
BTW, they do have cabins at the park. If you are uncomfortable pulling/camping in the stormy weather you could rent one for a night or two and still see your friends.
We are supposed to get a LOT of rain here in N. GA...anywhere from 5 to 10 inches possible...we cancelled our Labor Day camping trip for other reasons, but I am glad we are at home right now..today we rode through a local State Park and there were several people packing up a day early and heading home, but many were not....if I'm camping and it happens to rain, no big deal, I enjoy it.. but if I KNOW it's probably going to poor down rain most of the time, I personally don't have much desire to go and would rather stay home..the rain doesn't bother me as much as the heavy winds, especially under the large trees in the mountains....but Fort Mountain is a terrific State Park....Jennifer
JENNIFER AND DUANE
'10 STARCRAFT TRAVELSTAR 217RBSS
2002 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 4x4 4.10
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME
I think your husband did the right thing. It will be a wet week based on all weather forecasts. You mentioned that you are new to rving/camping. All that rain will impact driving conditions - new to 5w and wet, mountain roads is not a good combination. Then, once you arrive at the cg, you have to setup - in the rain. That's not a pleasant chore for rv veterans, let along a noobie trying to figure it out while the rain is pounding on you. Now what? Will you venture outdoors for hiking, sightseeing in the rain? Or will you stay in the rv? Other than a missed chance to camp with your friends, I say - stay home and wait for better weather.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR
Thanks klm, and Jennifer, I think he made the right call too. Not all was lost because we got to spend time with our children and grandchildren. It rained here in middle Tennessee and was cold. The races were canceled Sunday and postponed till Tuesday our friends stayed to watch them so everything turned out OK. I do hope to visit north Georgia's state parks sometime in the future. Thank you all for your concern and your replies. I hope everyone is out enjoying the great outdoors. ;-)