|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 30 Amp docking station and TC carport installation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Next
Sponsored By:
sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you installed your 30 Amp recepticle in your driveway to plug your camper's crows foot plug into for shore power.....

Did you use a 30Amp 110V ground fault breaker in your houses main panel?

Or did you use a 30Amp 110V regular breaker in your houses main panel?

Which one and why?

Do you happen to know the electrical code for yor area?

Thanks for your help in advanve.

Sleepy

* This post was edited 10/11/11 12:24pm by sleepy *

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

rickjo

SW New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't need 30 amps at home. You might. I just adapt to a 110v extension cord plugged into my 15a GFI outdoor socket.

If you really need 30 amps, I would definitely go with GFI in case of puddles, etc. around the electrical source when plugging in or even unplugging.

Rick

2004 F-350 4WD Crew Cab Dually w/ Airlift air bags, Luverne brush guard, side steps and splash guards.
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, wider aftermarket custom mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/11 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The National Electric code does not require GFCI protection on a 30A 120v RV circuit. It only requires GFCI protection for outdoor 15A and 20A 120v outlets. I don't know if the inspectors in your area have made up any of their own codes.
I wouldn't install a 30A SP GFCI breaker because it's not required, will probably be hard to find, and will likely cost over $100 if you do find one.

Butch50

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a standard 30 Amp breaker in my breaker box. My thinking was the RV already has GFCI in it for all of the plugs that need it and if I were to plug into the outside of the RV then those are again protected by the GCFI in the RV. I also don't have to worry about plugging the RV in while standing in a puddle of water because I always turn the breaker off before plugging/unplugging the RV (there is no sparking possiblity between the plug and the outlet). After plugging in the RV then switch on the breaker. I do the same thing if I go to a campground, I turn the breaker off before hooking up the RV. My wife does it also if she gets to the A/C hookup before I get to it.

Butch
2013 Ram 3500 4X4 CC Laramie DRW
Light Metallic Gray with black interior
2012 Northern Lite 10 2 CDSE
2010 Can-Am 650XT Outlander Max
2012 Harley Tri Glide

Tamnative

Mill Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/11 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Calif. if the plug is outside it has to be a GFI.

2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a house in Utah that will be our retirement home. Unlike my home here in Sacramento, the Utah house has 2 panels, a main and a service panel. The service panel is in the mechanical room and the main in on the outside wall of the garage. The main has room for 2 breakers, one of which serves the service panel. My plan is to add a breaker to the main panel for my RV riser. I figured I would set it up much like a campground hook up and have a riser box with an outlet and a breaker or switch and then the breaker at the main panel.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dropped in a regular 30A breaker into my panel and ran my wires. I don't recall the wire gage but the lenght i needed was over 100 bucks 10 years ago. I went with the 30 becuase of the 100+ foot lenght of the wiring needed and when I perform an operational check (air, micro, furnace, water heater, etc) of my unit in the spring. I have no water issues that warrants a need for a GFI.

Come to think of it... I don't recall seeing any GFI circuits at campgrounds.

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hola Sonoliento - I have mine hooked up to my garage subpanel and used a 30Amp GFI breaker. I don't remember it costing $100 or anything too crazy. In hindsight I wish I would have bought one of the outdoor outlet boxes that had the breaker built in because I do like the ability to plug it in THEN flip the breaker. I do sometimes end up parking on the opposite side of the garage sometimes and have to run an extension cord though, someday I might end up adding another box to the other side in which case I'll switch out the box so the new one with the breaker is on the side I most often use.

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

Atchafalaya_man

Lafayette, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/11 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Standard breaker, 10 gauge UF wire run in grey plastic electrical conduit along rafters of garage wall. Terminated to two 30 amp outlets, side by side, so two RV's can be hooked to the same breaker. I had a 5ver and a TC at the time.

Alschott

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plug into a regular 15/20 amp GFI outlet with my modified cord set. The camper doesn't need more than 15 amps even if the microwave is running or the heater is on low (rarely need high heat at 12 amps). The GFI is per our building code and hasn't tripped yet.
If I had an A/C, I'd run the 30 amp line and outlet to where I park the truck and camper.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 30 Amp docking station and TC carport installation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS