|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lets give Lippert frames a break

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Madison, SD (but usually elsewhere)

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Mad Norsky wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

My Hitchhiker has a Lippert frame and extended pin box with no additions between the pin box and frame to cushion the jolts. It's been towed around the country several times and so far all is OK, but I do make it a point to travel as lightly as possible, i.e. empty holding tanks (except a small amount in the fresh water tank). I'm hoping these preventive measures will help extend the life of the frame.

No more Youngs welding?????????? Didn't realize the HH II model frames were not made by Youngs Welding in Chanute.

Learned something new

The documents that came with my Hitchhiker indicate that the slides are Lippert. I would be thrilled to learn the frame isn't but I have to assume it's made by Lippert, too.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

Richfaa, you're still ignoring the fact that, if 60% of the RV's are overloaded, the RV manufacturers are failing to properly design their RV's to suit how owners are actually using them. 60% of the market overloading their vehicles points to the vehicles being under-designed for their intended use. They need to build them stronger to better serve the majority of the market.

I just can't grab ahold of your logic.If you look at the RVSEF stats it makes no difference what the GVWR of the Rv is or what frame it has they are still running over weight 60 % of rv,s are running over weight no matter what..How can a manufacturere address that....

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richfaa wrote:

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

Richfaa, you're still ignoring the fact that, if 60% of the RV's are overloaded, the RV manufacturers are failing to properly design their RV's to suit how owners are actually using them. 60% of the market overloading their vehicles points to the vehicles being under-designed for their intended use. They need to build them stronger to better serve the majority of the market.

I just can't grab ahold of your logic.If you look at the RVSEF stats it makes no difference what the GVWR of the Rv is or what frame it has they are still running over weight 60 % of rv,s are running over weight no matter what..How can a manufacturere address that....
Storage space versus payload capacity would be the relationship to look at for keeping trailers under weight.

If the trailer has, for example, 4000 lbs of payload capacity but only enough storage space to fit, for example, 2000 lbs of stuff, it would be very difficult to overload it. The trailer will also be adequately strong and overbuilt and less likely to have structural problems, if it is also built with good design and quality control.

Conversely, if the trailer has only 2000 lbs payload capacity but enough storage space to find room for 4000 lbs of stuff, it is likely to be overloaded. If it is also built with poor design, such that it can barely stay together at max rated weight, in addition to poor quality, such that it can fail at below max rated weight, a disaster waiting to happen has been created. You can see where that's going...

The numbers above are for purposes of example only.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richfaa wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

richfaa wrote:

It is stated on every Rv what the GVWR is. It is stated on every tire what the tire load rating is. You can read that when you purchase the RV. It is not the manufacturers responsibility to guess what you might load the RV with.It is your responsibility to stay within the manufacturers spec's although many of us do not think so. The majority of Rv's on the road are over the manufactures Weight spec,s and that a contributes to many problems..although many of us do not thing so. We place all blame on the manufacturer for all failures and fail to accept responsibility for non compliance with manufactures spec.s.

I don't know if that 60% number is realistic and anyone who exceeds those limits does so at their own risk, but if 60% of your customers are exceeding the design limits of your product, you need to rethink your design. Who are you building them for anyway?

Many states and some provinces allow double towing. Adding a couple of thousand pounds of boat on behind your 5er can add a lot of stress to the pin box and goose neck part of the frame without exceeding the GVWR of the trailer. How many manufacturers take this into account and publish limits for double towing?

the number is from a organization that weighs Rv's and list the results.How can it not be realiatic. It is amazing that folks place the blame on consumers overloading their Rv's on the manufacturer. I will bet every OTR driver would like that...

You can't blame the manufacturer if people overload their vehicles. You can blame manufacturers who build products that don't reflect their real world use by a majority of their customers.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2002 Glendale Titanium 28E33SB
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS on order

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

clydengail wrote:

My fiver has over 3000lb load capacity. What in the world are people carrying with them to overload?

My trailer carries over 200 gallons of water. That would be 1600+ pounds right there. But I don't think many haul too often with all the tanks full. I know I almost never do. But then fill the fridge, storage areas, Propane (80 pounds, 4 tanks weight, on mine), batteries, generators, clothes, washer and dryer, food, underbed storage, chairs, EZ ups, Char grills, extra propane tanks, bicycles, and some people can be up to 3000 pounds easily.

Then go carting it down the road, hopping/scrubbing curbs, backing to 90 degree turns (look at all the "do I need a slider hitch?" threads). Or "I dropped my trailer....BedSaver" threads.

Many say auto manufacturers don't have frame problems? Ask Toyota truck owners. Or google Toyota truck frame recalls. And remember, you don't see a lot of 13,000 pound pick up trucks. But there are a lot of 13,000 trailers out there. Oh...and yeah...their being carried by 4 wheels, that are center frame mounted, not mounted on the corners. And don't have a 10 foot overhang, either. RV frames undergo a lot worse stress than a pickup truck frame.

* This post was edited 09/11/11 06:28pm by Vulcaneer *

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Confusion is a prerequisite to enlightenment.
Enlightenment is a prerequisite to revelation.
Revelation without action makes no difference.

Delaine and Lindy

Linden Tn. (The View)

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stronger frames, good idea, however those who have stronger frames like the Mobile Suites are at a weight that is at the upper limits of a 1 ton now. And just look at how many RVer's are now towing 5th wheels that are over the rating of the 3/4 ton trucks... There are those who are dragging Toy Haulers around with 3/4 tons now.. If you don't know the weight of your RV get it on the scales, and you will be surprised.

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/11 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the people who have had a Lippert frame failure. I'm not talking about you heard or had a friend or BIL. Did the frame rail break or was it the weld that broke? Was it a L or C channel frame?
I have a 03 Lippert frame under a FW Pride and the welds look good and I have had no issues at all so I am curious as to where they break.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs-28years
We love 56 T-Birds

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

My trailer carries over 200 gallons of water
Hows does one get 200 gallons of water in a 85 gallon tank?

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mena661 wrote:

Vulcaneer wrote:

My trailer carries over 200 gallons of water
Hows does one get 200 gallons of water in a 85 gallon tank?
He's probably adding the capacities of all 3 tanks.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delaine and Lindy wrote:

Stronger frames, good idea, however those who have stronger frames like the Mobile Suites are at a weight that is at the upper limits of a 1 ton now. And just look at how many RVer's are now towing 5th wheels that are over the rating of the 3/4 ton trucks... There are those who are dragging Toy Haulers around with 3/4 tons now.. If you don't know the weight of your RV get it on the scales, and you will be surprised.
It boils down to if you wanna haul the really big ones, you gotta buy enough truck to do the job.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lets give Lippert frames a break
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS