|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lets give Lippert frames a break

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RVcrazy

Puyallup, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 10:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As of 2010 models, all Nuwa Hitchhiker products use Youngs frames. Before that, it was a mixed bag. The company can tell you which units used which frames.

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mena661 wrote:

Vulcaneer wrote:

My trailer carries over 200 gallons of water
Hows does one get 200 gallons of water in a 85 gallon tank?

a plunger????????

I can see me, at the campground water fill, folks behind me in line, hose going into my fiver and I've got the trusty plunger, just working like a madman, errr, Mad Norsky, trying to stuff more water in my tanks.

sorry, could not resist this one, besides things are quite serious here, a little levity does not hurt.

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan, Korey & Rocky
2011 Ford F350 Power Stroke dually
2008 SnowRiver 10-8 D/S Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

lakebum

South Hill, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pete_k wrote:

Wish people would understand that it may well not be the Lippert frame. I hope each of us are smart enough to know they only build frames to what the builder wants it to be or the specs of the builder then Lippert builds there frames for them good or bad most issues are the camper maker not Lippert.
So look at the cheap models and then the higher end units with the Lippert frame. Bet you will see that most that have issues are the ones that spec the cheapest frame they can get. This allows them to cut cost. And if theres not an issue the owner will never know they did not have the best frame built the could have.

Take DRV how many frame issues do you see on those, over say the lower priced brands? Same as the tires, They put junk on a unit its saving them cash. But if they would only spec a good frame for it that cost $500 more along with better tires. It would save them a lot of bad rep's.
Pete

That is my point, why when I call my dealer, I was refurd to Forest River and when I called Forest River I was refered to Lippert? I did not purchase from Lippert, I purchased from Forest River. Their product, their specs.

Ken & Janice Currin
South Hill, Virginia
Our Photos
2006 Forest River Cardinal 5th Wheel 36-2BH
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4 LT Duramax Crew Cab L/B Dually
Scale Ticket Dually & 5er
Scale Ticket Dually Only

lakebum

South Hill, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

richfaa wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

richfaa wrote:

It is stated on every Rv what the GVWR is. It is stated on every tire what the tire load rating is. You can read that when you purchase the RV. It is not the manufacturers responsibility to guess what you might load the RV with.It is your responsibility to stay within the manufacturers spec's although many of us do not think so. The majority of Rv's on the road are over the manufactures Weight spec,s and that a contributes to many problems..although many of us do not thing so. We place all blame on the manufacturer for all failures and fail to accept responsibility for non compliance with manufactures spec.s.

I don't know if that 60% number is realistic and anyone who exceeds those limits does so at their own risk, but if 60% of your customers are exceeding the design limits of your product, you need to rethink your design. Who are you building them for anyway?

Many states and some provinces allow double towing. Adding a couple of thousand pounds of boat on behind your 5er can add a lot of stress to the pin box and goose neck part of the frame without exceeding the GVWR of the trailer. How many manufacturers take this into account and publish limits for double towing?

the number is from a organization that weighs Rv's and list the results.How can it not be realiatic. It is amazing that folks place the blame on consumers overloading their Rv's on the manufacturer. I will bet every OTR driver would like that...

You can't blame the manufacturer if people overload their vehicles. You can blame manufacturers who build products that don't reflect their real world use by a majority of their customers.

I have CAT Scale tickets to show my trailer weight and truck weight. I have never overloaded it. I run with empty waste holding tanks and a full tank of fresh water (333.6lb). When my bracket broke, I was traveling by myself with nothing loaded in the camper at all. One suite case was in the back of my truck and nothing had been loaded in the RV.

I really have a hard time with any of you trying to defend and come up with any reason to blame the owner for a frame break when it is a stress crack in the frame.

Forest River and Lippert are the only ones to blame. If Forest River specs the frame rails for my 41' 13000lb 5th WheelCAT Scale Ticket and it was not strong enough, Lippert engineers should have stepped up to the plate and said they were not strong enough.

1 of 4 stress cracks and welded bracket

Ric Flair

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

The documents that came with my Hitchhiker indicate that the slides are Lippert. I would be thrilled to learn the frame isn't but I have to assume it's made by Lippert, too.

NuWa, with Lippert structural components? Say it ain't so!

Maybe this fact will temper some of the furvor surounding the subject.

Then again, maybe it won't.

2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer the OP's post I can only ask WHY??
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mena661 wrote:

Vulcaneer wrote:

My trailer carries over 200 gallons of water
Hows does one get 200 gallons of water in a 85 gallon tank?

Water Heater = 12 Gallons
Fresh Water Tank= 85 gallons
Black Water = 41 Gallons
Gray Water = 82 Gallons
TOTAL = 220 Gallons
Weight of water = 8.345/gallon
Weight of 220 gallons = 1835.9 pounds
61.1% of 3000 pounds cargo carrying capacity.

But my model NCC=2909 so full tanks = 63.311% of NCC
That leaves 36.889% (or 1073.1 pounds) for all the other junk.

Check the spec's here. Optional 12 Gal HWH.

Any other questions?

* This post was last edited 09/12/11 12:17pm by Vulcaneer *   View edit history

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

mark1228

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/11 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lippert has bought many suppliers and we are currently forced to buy Lippert components. It is hard to name non Lippert failures because there is almost no competition to Lippert. As for the OP, maybe we should start a simpler thread and ask if anyone can just NAME a frame currently manufactured other than Lippert and who uses it(Other than Arctic Fox as they have already been mentioned as building their own frame)

clydengail

Maumelle, AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/11 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would anyone haul around 120 gallons of waste water and a full tank of fresh water? That make no sense to me.

TV - 2007.5 GMC Duramax 4x4 Ext Cab
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE

mark1228

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

clydengail wrote:

Why would anyone haul around 120 gallons of waste water and a full tank of fresh water? That make no sense to me.
While I try not to, most of our camping is dry so you leave with a full fresh tank and travel back with full or close to it black and grey tanks. I dump as soon as I can but sometimes you have drive a while to get to a dump station

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lets give Lippert frames a break
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS