|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> slide topper tension adjustment

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
willowmoss

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/11 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can find only one thread on the subject and it seems to be focused more on awnings. My full slide topper tends to collect rain and flaps in high wind. I have made a wedge that I place at each end and this seems to work, but it am wondering if the topper can be tighten. It may be that full slides experience this more than shorter slides. It is about 3 years old. I would greatly appreciate getting your suggestions. Thanks.

Willowmoss
2008 Winnebago 33' Voyage
Ford Chassis - 6.8L SOHC Triton V10 362-hp
Tow vehicle: 2009 Honda Fit, Roadmaster/US Gear

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/11 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adjusting slide topper awnings is fairly simple. Usually takes 2 people. The roller has a spring in it. Move slide out. Look for the pin hole near end of roller. Put a cotter pin in the hole. Make sure it will not fall out. Remove end cap or mount. Roller should now be free of mounting hardware. Run slide in about 12". Roll up topper on roller. Install back on slide. Remove cotter pin. Be careful because roller will be under more tension.
Here is a link to a video.
How do I Adjust the Tension on an RV Slideout Topper Awning?

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad

Super C Group Forum

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ADDING tension to a slide topper will NOT keep it from sagging. The sagging is caused by the fabric that has stretched. A SIMPLE test to confirm what I said---- With the awning sagging get on a ladder and manually PULL the awning tube tighter to simulate the added tension. You will see that nothing happens. The downside to adding MORE tension on a slider is---Too MUCH tension will cause the room operation to not extend correctly or not at all because the slide cover tension keeps the room from extending. There is a fine line on Slide awning tension for correct extension of room and correct tension on the cover. Sagging is NORMAL on older slide covers and you should make a support to keep the water out of the sagging area. Doug

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/11 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The replacement manual describes the process, just skip the removal part. Page 4 shows winding the ends. Depending on size of topper but two people make it a lot safer. The spring is under quite a bit of tension. You need to insure you have full control at all times.
You need to take the slide out far enough to have access, the further you take out slide, greater the spring tension -so less is better.
Study the manual look at your topper until it makes sense, fairly simple operation but also easy to hurt yourself if the end gets away from you!
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/AE_topper.pdf

Basically looking at end caps, rotate roller tube until the holes line up thru and insert cotter pin into end caps {fig3}. You’ll need to drill out the rivets securing hex rod in place {fig4}. Remove the hex rod from bracket, reinsert into other side to use as handle. (I would only wind up (adding) no more than additional 1/2 turn, unless it’s really loose then maybe 1 turn. You don’t want to overwind.)

While both 'handle' and roller tube are held firmly from turning, remove pin, rotate using the hex rod as handle until holes realign and reinsert pin {fig 11}. Repeat other side. After both ends rewound reinstall the hex rods into mounts, lock the rods in place with rivets. Remove cotter pins.

If your adding a full turn (verify you can by manually trying to unwind tube a full turn while slide is out, that’s a lot of tension) Then ronfishermans method would save you clocking the ends, after removing mounts or hex rods just roll up entire roller tube assembly. You might then take slide in a bit to reattach. Again 1st & last step are the cotter pins locking tube.
I was able to do mine solo but don’t recommend it.

01 Ford 250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

willowmoss

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/11 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone for taking your time to reply to my question. Appreciate it very much!

I will give thought to suggestions before attempting to make adjustment. In the meantime, will continue to use the supports that I constructed.

NorCal Dan

Ocean Park, WA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/11 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

www.awningairwedge.com

Just passing along the link. I didn't purchase, they only come in one size and color.

'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

tomdrobin

Perry, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/11 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The awning on my couch slide out, which isn't all that big sags and water puddles on it too. I got an 8" diameter flexible pipe from Home depot, similar to flexible drier vent pipe. And, just shove it under the awning.

2011 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 5.3, 6 spd auto, 3.42
2000 Jayco Qwest 30'

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> slide topper tension adjustment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS