RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: TPMS saves my bacon once again.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> TPMS saves my bacon once again.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Round Topper

Greater Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the way home from the Jayco factory service center in Middlebury, IN on Monday (Nice job Randy and guys. Thanks so much), I noticed my right rear tire pressure was getting scary high. I hit the button for temperature and saw it was approaching the 175 degree alarm point. I stopped in Arkansas at a Walmart and jacked that wheel off the ground and spun it. It turned freely but there was something "clicky" going on inside. The next morning I removed the wheel and brake drum and one of the brake linings fell out. It had come disbonded from the shoe. Everything else looked OK so I put it back together and cut the wire going to the magnet. The trip home was uneventful except for the 110 degree heat on the highway in east Texas. The TPMS system I have is made by Dill with sensors mounted inside the wheels. This is the third time it has warned of impending disaster.

mpfireman

Cook County Il

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear that these electronic things work. Have recently been doing research on different brands of TPM systems.

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

jamway

Ranger TX.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Smartire system and the batteries are going bad and the company does not support the TPMS any more. I have been looking for something like your system.

Where did you get the Dill TPMS?

Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Kennedycamper

Algoa, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TST system does temperature as well as pressure too.

Road Runners

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone used the Doran TPMS for fifth wheels? If so, what do you think of it?

'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

stripit

Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Runners wrote:

Has anyone used the Doran TPMS for fifth wheels? If so, what do you think of it?

I use the TST system, and firmly believe that any TPMS is better than no system at all. You have more of a chance catching a problem before it happens with a system. There is nothing wrong with the Doran system, but if you shop price you may find the TST a bit less expensive.

Stacey Frank
'04 Mobile Suites 36 TK3 #1341
'99 Int'l 4700 Lo Pro MDT
'08 Lexus 400H

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Runners wrote:

I have the Doran Pressure Pro RV 360. Bought it when we got the trailer in 2008, does a good job. I did have a problem while preparing for our last trip. Installed the sensors then connected the display panel. The monitor initially displayed all 4 sensors, then the alarm sounded and displayed the "lost sensor" message for all installed sensors (sensor either physically missing or data not being received from the sensor). Contacted Doran, they advised to send the sensors back to them for testing. I sent the entire system back to them, just in case the monitor panel had a problem. Long story short, the sensors were fine, the monitor panel had a short in the 12v plug which was replaced. Doran followed up with a phone call prior to shipping it back. No charge, even though it's out of warranty. Good company, I'm a happy customer.

Road Runners

Tampa Bay, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for your info on the doran system.

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/11 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Runners wrote:

thanks for your info on the doran system.

Glad to help. A little additional info. The Doran system can be pricey, no argument there (I paid $650, direct purchase from Doran), but I bought 8 sensors. Had intended to use them on the TV too, but I have had no success in finding steel valve stems that are compatible with the OEM alloy wheels on my Ram. No matter, three of the sensors I returned to Doran had dead batteries and I have no plans to use them on the truck, though the Doran rep. I spoke with this week did recommend a company to try for valve stems. The sensor battery life is estimated by Doran to range from 3-5 years. I believe they can replace batteries for $25 a sensor. You ship them, they fix 'em and ship 'em back.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not clear how loosing a brake shoe contributed to tire pressure increase and temperature rise in the tire? Are you saying it radiated through the hub, or was the tire dragging?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> TPMS saves my bacon once again.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS