|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Heated Black and Gray Tanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jmj805

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/11 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gentlemen/Ladies.

I have a 2004 Ford Gulfstream BT Cruiser. My unit has heated water/waste tanks rubber bads and one of the heating pads has become loose on the gray tank.

My question is, how hot (if any one knows) does these rubber pads get?
I assume that they get hot enough to keep the tanks from freezing. I want to reinstall it but was wondering why type of glue or rubber cement can I use. I was thinking about using Elmer's Rubber Cement but after reading the label on bottle this cement is very flammable.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I did use a little of the cement on the black tank and it seemed to work great. To be honest I have never used the heated tank feature since I live in Florida but maybe one day I may if I go up north in the early winter. I assume that they both work. Never had a reason to use them yet.

Sure I can go to a dealer and spend a chunk of money on a "special" type of glue and I am also sure there is a quick fix out there some where.

Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Happy RVing....

JJ

PhilR.

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/11 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tanks are plastic, so the pads don't get very hot. If they did, it would melt the plastic. The pads don't need to get hot, they only need to keep the temp. above 32 degrees.

I would use RTV clear silicon adhesive/sealant, which can work up to about 400 degrees.....

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/11 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you'll find that at least MOST of the electrically heated tanks do not get HOT by any means. They can operate on 12 volt power so can't be drawing much power.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

JohnRN

Wilmington, DE

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJ, mine came loose and I used a silicone adhesive/sealant 3 years ago and they have been fine since. I did not clean the surface of the tank first - just applied the silcone product to the loose areas and kept pressure on for about 10 minutes. The job took about 15 minutes and $5.

John & Susan
Wilmington, DE
2003 Coach House Platinum 270XL

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/11 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what adheasive but my Ultraheat pads instruct you clean the tank surface with alcohol first.

Maybe they would help answer the question.

http://www.ultraheat.com/index.html

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

skimask

ND

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/11 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an oil pan heating pad on another car "back in the day". Couldn't keep the thing from peeling back off the oil pan. In addition to the glue/sticky stuff, I ended up making a couple of straps and wrapped them with something like a 1" heater hose where it touched the heating pad to keep it from rubbing thru it over time.
Obviously it's not exactly the same thing as a water tank, but it seemed to work for me pretty good. There's gotta be places under there to bolt up a strap of some sort.

hohenwald48

Hohenwald, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They don't get hot at all. When they are on, they don't even feel warm to the touch.

2008 Fleetwood Jamboree 25G
1999 Jeep Wrangler
100% Solar Powered Home
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They don't really get hot at all and just keep things above freezing. You can always use a muffler tape to keep it on. Looks like "aluminum foil tape".

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it is on PPL RV stuff they sell the pads and it says they come on at 34 deg and turn off I think it said 54 deg Although it dont say what the temp of the pads is, I would think they would have to get a bit warm to take a tank from 34 deg to 54 degs, If I was to guess I would say the pads reach a temp of about 110 degs Good luck with it.

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Heated Black and Gray Tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS