|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insurance and luxury taxes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
cliff600

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 04:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Guys and Gals, we are about to get a truck camper and I am wondering if there is any need for Insurace for these....like a trailer or 5th wheel. I was assuming the regular car insurance would cover it.

Second question. I life in Virginia and they love, love, love to tax stuff here. TT and 5th wheel trailers are considered luxury vehicles are are taxed pretty heavily depending on the assesed value. Will this have any taxes like that?

Thanks for the help.

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. Ask your insurance company
2. Ask the DMV

Not meaning to give you a short answer, but on this forum you will get opinions from well-meaning RVers from all over the country. You need to zero-in to your own geographic area and ask the people that know the real answers.

Good luck to you!

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Virginia is pretty geographically specific.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know any damage to my fifth wheel is covered by my auto insurance coverage while I am towing. HOWEVER, if a tree falls on my fifth wheel while camping or sitting next to the garage or I have damage, like my awning blows off in a wind storm I need an additional policy on it with the insurance company. We have it and it is only about 120 per year. Well worth the extra coverage as they covered some water damage - delamination this summer that was about three thousand dollars.

Western New Yorkers
Our Westie now waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

gpascazio

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bough our first TC a couple of months ago. While I don't know about luxury taxes and other issues that are Virginia specific I can relate our experience on insurance, We did have a bit of a problem figuring out how to insure the TC. At first contact with our agent he told us that the TC was covered as long as it sat on the truck and our homeowner insurance covered the TC while it was off the truck at home, up to $1,000. Obviously this would not work, especially since we like to take the TC off the truck when we arrive at our destination. After a few calls by the agent to their corporate headquarters they came back with the answer to insure the TC as a stand alone unit like a fifth wheel or a trailer this is what we did. Thanks to these RV forums I did not accept the first option of insuring the truck only and assuming the TC was covered. Again a big thank you to the forum for helping us on this issue.

2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Progressive insurance. Full replacement for the first 5 years and it costs only a little over $100 a year. Do you have to title or register the TC in Virginia? If not, I would buy out of state.
Mike

2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."
Daniel Boone

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garym114 wrote:

Virginia is pretty geographically specific.

So you're certain that there's no difference county-to-county or city-to-city in his state? In most other states there can be variables. But I wouldn't expect a Texan to be well-versed when it comes to Virginia info..................

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Insurance varies.
If you have several policies - such as homeowners, vehicles, properties, etc., then it's a good idea to meet face to face with your insurance agent.
Then shop it around.

Our camper is fully covered, on/off the truck, full replacement value at an added cost of $15.00

Rangerz

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the "personal property" tax items in VA are tracked via the DMV. If you don't license it, I would imagine that your county would not know about it.

As far as county specific items, yes it can vary. I lived in Prince William and had a boat. Prince william does not tax boats, but I had to pay personal property tax on the trailer.

Trauck policy should cover the camper while loaded (check with your agent) but might want to look at a collison type policy while off the truck.

Good luck!

2002 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 4x4 Diesel
2009 Lance 825
2005 Jeep TJ
2010 Polaris RZR
2010 Mirage 16' Enclosed Trailer

I am still wayne_tw

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cliff600 wrote:

I was assuming the regular car insurance would cover it.

That is your first mistake. What if your assumption is incorrect. You should get coverage in writing from your agent. Perhaps your agent tells you it is covered, fine, tell him to put it in writing or show you specifically where it is stated in your policy.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insurance and luxury taxes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS