|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Thinking of buying a Rialta

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
amcconnell

Culpeper, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a novice and have not RV'd for fun ever although I did work/travel for awhile in one..... many years ago. Now, I'm retired and want to ENJOY the experience!

What are the pros and cons of the Rialta?

If you own one ... would you recommend it for a novice?

Allan

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sold ours 3 years ago.Great little MH,excellent gas milage-14/17 mpg,could park it anywhere,well laid out for it's size.We had no major problems and only a few minor things go wrong with it.Made a few trips from FL to Cali/Nevada and back.They hold their value very well.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pros are that they are small on the outside, fuel efficient, and some people find some of the layouts useful. I particularly like the one with four bucket seats.

The cons are that they are small on the inside, requiring some compromises and dual-purpose use of much of the space; finding a dealer to service the chassis (and finding VW T4 parts) can be an issue because VW of America imported that van for only a short time and few dealers handled it. Even tires are hard to find, they are a little-used size and load rating.

If you are thinking of using a Rialta as a self-contained RV, go through the motions of using the bathroom (all tasks) and think it over. It is not that it is a wet bath, it is a collapsing wet bath. The situation is not much worse than "shower in the aisle" in some B's, but it is not what most people expect in a RV.

I thought real hard about the Rialta, but the bathroom situation got me thinking about the Vista (same chassis, bigger house) instead. Then wife said "it has to be big enough to take kids and grandkids along" so I scaled up my plans to full size. So think about how you want to use it. Some Rialta models may seat six for travel, but you won't want more than two living in it.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our opinions really don't count. You need to go to www.rvknowhow.com and read the Kieva's suggestions for how to decide on an RV.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a LaSharo which was the premier version of what was to become the Rialta. Ours was a four cylinder diesel and was fun. For the size it lived well. For a B motorhome you can spin the front seats and use them just like a class A and that makes a real space difference. Mine had the second row of seats that would make into a bed. I didn't need them so should have removed them and that would have been more space. Dinette in back was the bed. You will probably use the campground shower and facilities when available but when not the shower and head work for you. Small capacity of holding tanks is no surprise but they do the job as this is not designed for long bouts of dry camping. You can cook inside but we preferred outside. Storage is quite limited but you learn to use all of your space. It does function like a car and can be parked in regular space. It is low to the ground so easy entrance. Front wheel drive and offset wheels are great and it is a dream in snow. I understand the Rialta with gas and a six cylinder has plenty of power. They also had a 5 cylinder in older versions. I would think a small portable generator would be nice. For a beginner you will have fun. Yes parts are the one drawback but I suspect their are networks of Rialta owners who can help. I would much prefer it to a roadtrek or other B's.

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biggest con: Very small holding tanks.

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found that I drove the LaSharo daily as you don't need a toad so I would dump somewhere when needed. Also learned how to stow things quickly for travel. I do like the one with the twin beds. It would be great for one person and ok for two. Anymore than that it is tight.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/11 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a 1999 Rialta FD Twin bed. The good: Fun to drive, great gas mileage, could take it anywhere. The Bad: Bathroom, especially the shower, is a joke. Finding tires was problematic as there was only one or two manufacturers that sold them and they were hard to come by. I could not find a VW dealer to work on it. Had to have a independant shop do all service. And this was when they still made them. And just a fun fact... It is a Class C mh not a B. It just looks like a pregnant van. In fact everything from the drivers seat (including the chassis) back is custom built and attached to the cab that Winnebago purchased from VW.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2000 Hurricane 30Q

ed6713

Collecting memories. Not things.

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/11 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two options:
Leisure Travel Van:

LTV

Roadtrek:

Roadtrek

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most common complaints I read are the difficulty in servicing/parts -- that alone would be enough to say no in my book.

Kevin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Thinking of buying a Rialta
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS