|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Rude People Rant

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put this in humor as there really is nothing I could have done (without being rude myself, and I refuse to do that). At the end of it all, it was humorous. Even at the time, my wife & I thought it was funny how clueless these people were. Here is the story:

We were at a marching band show last night where local HS bands show off their program. It's a great time to meet other band parents (who are for the most part, very friendly and cheer loudly for each and every band, not just their own), hear the local bands, eat stadium food, and overall, have a good time.

After the first band started playing, this group of about 8 people came up the isle and decided to sit in the row behind us. First off, it is courteous to NOT seat yourself when a band is playing. There are gaps between bands of about 15 minutes which allow one to get food, get their seats, use the restroom, etc. This group ignored that courtesy. Second, there was enough space on the row, but it was broken up into several smaller spaces (other families had already sat there), so the group was LOUDLY telling everyone else to "MOVE DOWN! MOVE DOWN!". Once they got seated (about the time the first band finished), they started critiquing the small HS's band show. Note, the band they were critiquing was only about 20 kids. The HS is one of the smallest in our area. I thought they did GREAT given their overall size.

The group didn't like the fact that there was this "7 foot tall guy sitting in front of them" (that would be me at 6' 2") and that they wished he would move. They would talk during the other bands and otherwise be pests.

Now here is the BEST part. When it was their band's turn, they were complaining how people were moving around during the show and TALKING (note, I heard them say this while their band was playing). And now comes the "coup de grass"... A lady in our row needed to take her small child out ("Mom! I gots to go potty NOW!") and as she was taking her kid out, the group responded by saying how RUDE it was to block their view by moving during the shows. Note, the lady did this BETWEEN SHOWS, unlike them who did their move DURING a show.

They were just totally clueless as to how rude they were. Lucky it didn't ruin our enjoyment of the shows. I think they had NO IDEA how their conduct messed with everyone else's enjoyment of the shows.

I also wonder now if some of their comments were directed at my wife (she is Hispanic) as I remember something about not wanting to sit near "this illegal" (that's when the "well you could be sitting behind this 7 ft tall guy like me" comment occurred).

Yes, I could have made a scene and maybe even got them thrown out, but it would have seriously subtracted from MY enjoyment of the shows and likely they would have learned nothing ("Those people were so RUDE, throwing us out just because we like to hear the band play..."). As it was, I found their clueless statements humorous and gave me an excuse to post here. I bet they are the type to walk in late to a movie, talk during the show, and then complain if someone else moves in front of them. Or go as a group to a restaurant and complain about having to leave a tip. They were that clueless.

* This post was edited 09/18/11 08:35am by Doug4.7 *

onehorsehitcher

Donna Tx

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations to you for not getting really angry and causing a scene that would have detracted from the show. I had a similar experience some years ago while attending an outdoor concert at a county fair. A country act was appearing (don't even remember who it was)and seating was in bleachers with no assigned seats. As I, unlike you am not 7 ft. tall, I sat it the highest row available. Needless to say during the opening performance a group came up and sat in front of us and to use a term that you rarely hear anymore, they were "drugstore cowboys". In Texas they would have been called "All hat and no cattle" type people. One of the biggest, or at least with the biggest hat sat in front of my wife smoking a big cigar and sipping from a flask in which I assume was some sort of "tonic". He leaned over from one side to another speaking to his friends and made a lot of noise doing so. I was never very good at controlling my temper but I asked him nicely if he could remove his hat as he was blocking my wife and my view of the stage. I was told I could just move. By this time there was a full bleacher and no other seating was available. I wasn't as cool as you but the hat was removed. I took it off his head and sailed it over the back of the bleachers. I also told him if he relit his cigar I would stuff it down his throat to which the people surrounding us cheered. Lucky for me he and his cronies left the area. I guess the badge and weapon I had holstered made an impression on them. I was just off my shift on the security detail. Sometimes the only way to stop rudeness is to be firm and direct.

3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/11 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a retired marching band parent, I hear you brother! Nothing made me as mad as the band performing the halftime show at the football games. Absolutely no respect shown by the students, faculty or parents. The competitions were the only time when everyone was actually paying attention and showing appreciation for the work the kids had put in. I always thought the Marching Band worked harder and put in longer hours than the football team.

Bob & Lynn
3 Hua's and Memories of the late, great Zoe, the camping Chow
2013 Open Range 424RLS, Hensley TS-3 Hitch
4-6v golf cart batteries & 2 Honda EU2000i
06' Chevy 3500, dually, crew, Duramax/Allison

Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a shameful addition to my post, I found out the people are actually from my town (how embarrassing). I actually know their son (worked with him during various band functions) and he is a great, smart, polite, shy kid. He was nothing like the people behind us. He is now off at college, I hope putting as much space between him and these people. I noticed from overhearing their conversion that the kid didn't seem to be able to find time to meet with them. I now wonder if he did that on purpose.

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/11 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

onehorsehitcher wrote:

… By this time there was a full bleacher and no other seating was available. I wasn't as cool as you but the hat was removed. I took it off his head and sailed it over the back of the bleachers. I also told him if he relit his cigar I would stuff it down his throat to which the people surrounding us cheered. Lucky for me he and his cronies left the area. I guess the badge and weapon I had holstered made an impression on them. …

I loved that story until I got to the last part. Most of us in that situation are not armed and badged and, as a result, are likely a lot less effective. Anyway, I’m sure all those around you applauded you, as I would have had I been there.

onehorsehitcher

Donna Tx

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it really wasn't cool at all but after several hours of looking for misplaced kids, escourting a few over indulged patrons out of the fairgrounds , I was in a foul mood. I have never understood the reasoning behind being rude in most situations but nobodies perfect. That instance did make me feel better though. Incidentely, I did have to pay to enter the show just like everyone else. By the way, my wife said the main show was Charley Pride.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are times when you should borrow something from your wife and turn around and smile and say "Would you like to see a picture of the rudest person here?" and of course they say "YES" you hold up the mirror from wife's compact.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

There are times when you should borrow something from your wife and turn around and smile and say "Would you like to see a picture of the rudest person here?" and of course they say "YES" you hold up the mirror from wife's compact.
It's fun to think that sort of thing, but it doesn't always work out to actually DO it. I think the biggest thing was that these folks had no idea how self-centered they were. No one else at the show mattered. I expected them to start asking folks around them to go get them food & drink, assuming everyone else was there to serve them.

I don't think there was anything I could have done to make them actually learn something.

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our GS's basketball team was one of 8 teams playing in the State Tournament & before his game began, a lady from another town/team was yakking with someone in the row in front of us. She didn't sit down, but flipped up the chair seat & stood up while she yakked & yakked. This was a 3 day tournament & we noticed her every day because she roamed all over during other team's games. By now our game was starting & she stayed right there. She had to know it was our team on the floor, we were wearing team colors, for gosh sake. I let it go, because I figured she would leave but she didn't. Finally I said loud enough for her to hear: I wonder where her seat is -- because I was going over to stand in front of her during her son's game. She heard & left with a pink face.

Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/11 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hokeypokey wrote:

...She heard & left with a pink face.
Sadly, had I done that with the group behind me, they would have kept on going only adding a complaint about the rude guy in front of them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Rude People Rant
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS