|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Aluminum vs fiberglass

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ReverendCharles

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After looking at rv's I noticed a lot of fiberglass trailers have delamination issues. I even saw a Cougar with half of the front delaminated, Cougar's are built the same as Artic Fox - pinch rolled. I am almost leaning away from fiberglass. What is your opinion?

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what you like and want. I think both type have their issues. Are you in an area that gets hail? Aluminum will dent.

We prefer the look of the fiberglass. We have a 6 year warranty. If it delaminates in that time, then it will be fixed. After that, we will have to deal with it. We probably won't have it that long before we get something else anyway.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2014 Ford Focus(Toad)

FinLee

108 Mile Ranch, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh great now you guys tell me, I just traded in my aluminum sided trailer for a hard wall I hope it dosent delam I guess a dehumidfier might be a good idea. Its going to be delivered tuesday.

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will go with aluminum due to the amount of delamination that happens with the rest of the materials. Out here in the west it seems like a majority of the hard side trailers delam. I am afraid to buy one.
Curly

2007 Chev. 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Wes Tausend

Bismarck, ND

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/11 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although it is popular to blame minute rain leaks for delamination, I think the major problem is high, or accumuated interior humidity levels from habitation in cool weather. Humidity from living amounts to way more than all but the largest rain leaks, and always, always accumulates within walls under cool exterior conditions. About 2 to 4 gallons a day for a family of four, if left unvented/undehumidified. That's a lot of water. It's not too good for the wood framing in aluminum sided campers either, although the aluminum leaks air better (breathes).

We just bought an older Cougar and I bought a small dehumidifier even before we got the camper, in anticipation. All the floor plans we looked at had the "glass" sides. I plan on taking it with on a planned cool-weather campout at the end of this month. Last year we had snow at this time up where I live.

Wes

Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2000 Excursion V-10 - 2000 F-250 CC 7.3L V-8
- 2004 Cougar Keystone M-294 RLS, 6140# tare
- Hensley Arrow - Champion 4000w/3500w gen
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

rfryer

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/11 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think fiberglass in nicer looking, easier to clean, and it not near as subject to hail damage as aluminum. But I still prefer aluminum. It’s lighter, a little less expensive, and cheaper to repair damage. And in my area of the country they tend to develop a yellow cast I really dislike. And the delamination issue is a biggy to me, too.

ata3001

Niagara Falls, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had both. Prefer aluminum. Less problems with delamination. Do a search on delamination issues vs aluminum. Also my aluminum TT is now 3 yrs old & not a single dent & still as shiny as new.

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

Husker Jerry

O'Neill, Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just my personal experience . . . I have a fiberglass '03 Jayco (purchased in '02) with zero problems. I like the looks & I live in an area where hail is a definite factor. My tow vehicle sustained $6,900 in hail damage last year. The only damage to the trailer were several vent caps & plastic domes on the roof.

2001 Ford Excursion V 10
2003 Jayco Designer 31FKS
Twin Honda Eu2000 gen sets

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Aluminum vs fiberglass
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS