|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> RVing in Europe without the TC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/11 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK this trip report will bend the rules a little because we did it in a rented motorhome.

Some time ago I posted that our TC allowed other types of travel. Well we left our TC home then rented a motorhome to sample RV travel in Europe. Others may have an interest in doing the same so here goes.

We used this company for the rental and recomend them.

Our rented unit on the final day as we cleaned it up for return.

Ford Transit 2 liter diesel engine 6 speed manual transmission.
3.3 meters in height. 2.4 meters in width. About 10.5 meters in length. Small by US standards but very large for many European roads.
We traveled with another couple for 10 days of our 6 week trip and it worked. But we spent nights in RV parks and used the park baths and toilets.

The main reason for our trip this year was my Danish brother in law was turning 70.

The motorhome by inlaws Northern Denmark summer home right on Kattegat.(Water between Sweden and Denmark)
Many summer homes in the area are painted black. Did not ask why.

Getting a little ahead of myself.
We rented the motorhome in Hamburg Germany and had a few days before needing to be at the birthday party so we spent a couple of days in Berlin.

The Brandenberg Gate from "Under the Lindens"
Waited out a summer shower under the Brandenberg Gate with many other tourists.

Check Point Charlie.
Note the Mac Donalds in the back ground. The world sure has come a long way.

Then up to Denmark, wifes from Frederikshaven in Northern Jutland.

Left to right Brother in law, his wife, son, son's wife, my wife and me the big dummy. Allready for the guests to arive. Tent was in case of rain. (it rained)
Fun was had by all at the birthday party we spent about 15 days in Denmark.

Headed south picked up the wifes cousin and his wife to travel with for the next 10 days. On to Bremerhaven Germany. Wow suprised at how nice this harbor town is.

Can you see the motorhome parked in the front row of the right hand parking lot?

This German U-boat was built in 1944. The destroyer I servied on was built to in 1945 to fight these U-boats. I was aboard DD851 Rupertus from 1962 to 1964.

By the way I now have a squished penny of this U-Boat. Well a 2 cent coin in Euros.

Will add to this report. Hope it can stay in the Truck Camper forum.

* This post was edited 09/19/11 10:21pm by an administrator/moderator *

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for adding the trip report - I'm really looking forward to the rest of it - nice to see a trip report about places I could drive to with my camper - normally the boot is on the other foot - I see trip reports of place which I would have to rent an RV to visit like you just did.

Motorhome looks nice.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'92 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 1.6
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
'10 Citroen DS3 1.6 turbo

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 01:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the trip report and photos. Like Sabconsulting, I can't wait for the rest of your report and pictures. I would love to visit Europe and travel around as you did in a RV. Two questions, How much did it cost for fuel? (average price) and what kind of Mileage did you get with that Motorhome on your trip? Just Curious. Thanks again!

Bob in Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 01:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spacedoutbob wrote:

How much did it cost for fuel? (average price) and what kind of Mileage did you get with that Motorhome on your trip?

Bob in Calif.

I can help with the fuel question - tends to average around €1.40 per litre, varies from country to country - more expensive in the UK (I saw £1.49 / litre here in England yesterday - €1.71 - needless to say I didn't stop there!). Best prices are from supermarkets and in Luxembourg. Before you have a heart attack bear in mind European RVs are relatively light and fuel efficient. At 3 tons laden my truck camper is undoubtedly heavier than any of these Ford Transit motorhomes, but if I keep the speed down to 60 I can average about 25MPG (US).

Steve.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 04:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 05:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of Stuff wrote:

Ford Transit 2 liter diesel engine 6 speed manual transmission.
3.3 meters in height. 2.4 meters in width. About 10.5 meters in length. Small by US standards but very large for many European roads.
We traveled with another couple for 10 days of our 6 week trip and it worked. But we spent nights in RV parks and used the park baths and toilets.

The main reason for our trip this year was my Danish brother in law was turning 70.

Nice photos do you also have an URL for your blog?. I would like to make a few corrections ,converting metric to feet and inches can be annoying. The Transit has either a 2.5 or 3.2 litre diesel engine. 10.5 Metres comes out at 34.5 Ft. Agree about the narrowness of European roads ,RV's in Europe are made for the conditions. The Transit will be replacing the E-Series(or that is the very strong rumour in the US)

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 05:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sabconsulting wrote:

At 3 tons laden my truck camper is undoubtedly heavier than any of these Ford Transit motorhomes, but if I keep the speed down to 60 I can average about 25MPG (US).

Steve they are light!!. Usual GVM is about 9,900lb, for 25-26ft Motorhome in Australia,15,000-18,000lb GCVM so you do not have to get a truck licence

* This post was edited 09/20/11 05:27am by RobertRyan *

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another exotic trip report! Nicely done.

Quote:

Many summer homes in the area are painted black. Did not ask why.

Could it be that these "chalets" are un-insulated, and rely on in-coming solar to heat their walls and roof? Black is about the most solar absorbent color available...

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The length of about 10.5 meters is wrong. I stepped it off my step must be short for a big guy. The true length is about 25 feet. It would not fit in a ordanary parking space like my TC will.
Width and Height were on a decal the rental company installed on the winsheild.

I got the 2 liter engine size from the rental companys web site.
Fuel cost ranged from 1.49 euros per liter to 1.17 euros in Luxembourg.
We did not keep track of milage but the trucks display said 11.41 L /100
Whatever that means.

Talking about the Ford Transit I liked it. A neat hill holding feature and very flat floor for a van were great.

There is also a dash compartment with a power outlet just right for my Tom Tom GPS.

Our GPS was great get one!!!!
Ours is a world travler model and has road maps of Canada, USA, Mexico and Europe built in.
Worked great! We could even find campgrounds with it.
Just a word of warning select a city and the GPs will lead you to the city center. The center of most European citys is not the place to drive a large RV......

We bought two paper maps to take with us. Michelin's $25 Europe road atlas and Rick Steves' $7.95 Europe planning map.
Hated the Michelin.
Liked Rick Steves.
Loved Lori our GPS's name.
Wife is jealous of Lori because I listen to Lori.

On to the Netherlands.

Having lunch in the rain on the Afsluitdijk.
It's Between the Waddenzee and the Ijsselmeer.
Don't you just love Dutch names.

Ok a real Dutch wind mill

This is from Leiden. We were a little big city burned out so skipped Amsterdam and went right to Leiden, Delft and Gouda. Small citys and back roads are favorites of ours.

Dutch girls having fun.

Went back after the boat tour and had lunch here.

Leiden is a wonderful place. Picture taken from the top of one the two remaining old time windmills in Leiden.

Belgium
Bruges
I drove the Camper up the road on the left and down the road on the right. Wife said she and our passengers had there eye's closed. I told her mine were closed as well.

More to come.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of Stuff wrote:

Talking about the Ford Transit I liked it. A neat hill holding feature and very flat floor for a van were great.

That is why they use them here in Australia as a basis for a larger TV for TC's, that are not doing a lot of Off Road stuff.
I think the Rental Company got it wrong, smallest engine you can get for the Transit is 2.2 Litre diesel in Europe. 2.5 Litre here.

* This post was edited 09/20/11 03:06pm by RobertRyan *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> RVing in Europe without the TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS