|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> cummins engine oil

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
toughnut

usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

does anyone "really know" if there is any quality difference between shell rotella 15/40 oil and the Hitech HD wallmart15/40 brand oil
The specs read identical etc.Ones 50.00(wallmart) for 5 gallons and one is 56.00(shell)

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 03:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you were putting it in a lawnmower engine sure go with the WalMart stuff, but for $6 why would you switch from a proven oil in a $20,000 engine? Doubt you can even get Hitech oil put in your car if you have it changed at WalMart.
No, I really do not know, but for 6 more dollars every 15,000 miles I'm not going to find out. I do know from a friend that rebuilds truck engines with a million+ miles that the cleanest engines are those running Dello 400 and those with a slight buildup on them are using Rotella T. The ones runing anything else have losts of buildup/sludge on the inside.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

sbmowrey

sc

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll try to find the link to an article that was based on a report from a retired chemical engineer that evaluated the additive package of various oils and Supertech had a better additive package than Shell Rotella. One of the best was Valvoline Premium Blue that is recommended by Cummins.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

I'm link challenged so you will have to copy and paste.

* This post was edited 09/21/11 07:26am by sbmowrey *

2006 Mandalay 40G
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara

toughnut

usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sbmowrey wrote:

I'll try to find the link to an article that was based on a report from a retired chemical engineer that evaluated the additive package of various oils and Supertech had a better additive package than Shell Rotella. One of the best was Valvoline Premium Blue that is recommended by Cummins.

thanks very much.That is one great informative report for sure
I learned a lot about oils I never knew
Interesting as it shows Chevron Delo 400 as one of the best
not to be confused with "Delo 400 LE" rated one of the worst
but are for PRE 2007 engines according to the Delo website

* This post was edited 09/21/11 09:56am by toughnut *

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toughnut, obviously most people don't "really know". They just see the brand name and are drawn in by it thinking "why" on the price difference.

Supertech oil has to meet all the standards and qualifications that any other oil does. It is very renowned and I have yet to meet one single person who has every "damaged" anything with their oil. I've heard it is packaged by Mobil oil.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sbmowrey wrote:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf. A excellent article and it does not show Walmart's Supertech oil as being a great oil. And if the OP wants to know more about motor oil, I suggest some reading on the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com. You will find actual analysis of both unused oils and used oils there and info on what additives are in various oils and why they are important to your engine,

* This post was edited 09/21/11 10:06am by wny_pat *

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

sbmowrey

sc

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it is packaged by Warren Performance Products, thus the WPP on the bottom.

toughnut

usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crasster wrote:

toughnut, obviously most people don't "really know". They just see the brand name and are drawn in by it thinking "why" on the price difference.

Supertech oil has to meet all the standards and qualifications that any other oil does. It is very renowned and I have yet to meet one single person who has every "damaged" anything with their oil. I've heard it is packaged by Mobil oil.

well I have to say every one raves about Rotella T and yet the wallmart Supertech scores higher so that says a lot right there

sbmowrey

sc

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for linking the article.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/11 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, but...
It is WALMART oil, specially made and packaged for sale in the dreaded WALMART stores...
It HAS to be terrible stuff!
Doesn't it?

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> cummins engine oil