|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Selling an RV in AK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
vector

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/11 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone driven an RV to AK and then sold it there instead of driving it back? The return to the lower 48 would be via air or ferry, or a mix of both. Another option would be taking a towable camping trailer up and then selling it, opting for a drive or ferry trip south. Are RVs in demand in Alaska? How difficult is/was it to sell an RV?

2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/11 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have in the past purchased about a half dozen RVs in Alaska as it tends to be a buyers market. Many of the RV rental companies sell their rolling stock every two or three years and it is cheaper for them to sell them cheap, than to ship them back outside. However last fall, I did see one of the Anchorage RV rental companies offering reduced rental fees for people that would drive the used RVs to the lower 48 for the company. (one way trip)
Also the rotating military personal leave many used RVs in Alaska. This was the main source of the ones I purchased while living there. Most of the military are only there for two or three year tours and then ship out to another base somewhere. Having an RV for the time they are there seems to be very popular with many. Then if they get reassigned to a post where they can't take their RV, they sell them, or the credit union ends up with them. Many of the troops being reassigned don't have the time to drive an RV back outside, even if they are staying in the US for their next tour of duty. Some do, but not all.
All in all, I think you would have a hard time selling your RV in Alaska. Lots of logistic problems, where are you going to show it?, are you willing to hang around Anchorage for several weeks waiting for it to sell? Most of the RV rental companies give a warranty on their used units, are you able to do this?
I one time, many years ago, approached the Chevy dealer, about their buying my then new 1964 Chevy Impala I had just driven up to Alaska. Rather than paying to have it stored for the winter, I thought I might sell it to the dealer. He asked me what I had paid for the vehicle and I told him. He went into his office and pulled out an invoice showing what he had paid for a similar vehicle, direct from the factory, delivered by barge lines out of Washington. His new one was a lot less than what I had paid. He was willing to offer me, used wholesale for mine. I wasn't interested in taking that big a hit so I stored it for the winter in Anchorage and flew out to the bush for the winter.

With all that said, it only takes a willing buyer, willing seller to make a deal. I would run an ad in Craigslist Alaska, especially cover Anchorage, Fairbanks and the Kenai. Put photos on a web site/blog somewhere of your RV so folks can take a look at it. Reference the blog site in your ad. There is another good free ad site in Anchorage that the name just escapes me at this time. Perhaps one of the locals will list it. In your ad, make sure it is easy for someone to contact you, your asking price, when you could have it to Alaska for viewing, etc. Having a few good leads before arriving in Alaska could make a lot of difference. But be ready to drive it back home as well. Every year this question is asked. But no one has yet gotten back to the forum with how the process went for them, to the best of my knowledge. Good luck.
On second edit:
Might try www.anchoragelist.com
or
www.anchoragesuperads.com

* This post was last edited 09/22/11 09:37am by joe b. *   View edit history

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/11 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There used to be businesses in Anchorage that paid for others to drive their new RVs TO Alaska rather than have them shipped. Check with some of the businesses there and ask if they still do that. Then you can have the best of taking an RV north and NOT having to sell it. Put an ad in the local paper and ask if someone is buying an RV and needs to driven there. Private persons may be interested in that option too.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Tee Jay

The Peninsula, Kenai & Olympic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/11 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV rental companies select the people to deliver in August or so, and delivery is to be made in mid May with around 10 or so days allowed for the trip.

I have purchased units in Ak, and sold a few. It is not a way to pay for your trip, as there does not seem to be a large difference in price due to being in Alaska. Rather, depreciation seems to happen a lot faster.

But yes, you can sell in Alaska. Try Craigs List and Alaskas List on line.

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/11 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe this would help: while in Alaska 2009, we visited with a Florida family who went into partnership & bought an RV. Family A drove it to Alaska. They would meet Family B at the airport & turn the RV over to them before flying home. Family B would then use the RV & drive it back to Florida and it would be sold. We found this to be pretty clever.

sundowners

suffolk UK

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi
also remember that Alaska is tax free, so a dealer selling RVs would not add sales tax ??
I do seem to remember locals saying that trucks were more expensive there----so you might break-even on a trailer and win ona truck ??
Nigel & Pamala ----UK

PA12DRVR

Anchorage, AK

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/11 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No direct personal experience, but would agree with teh others....probably not going to pay for your trip.

If you want to turn a few bucks, if you can drag a utility trailer (empty) behind your Class A or Class C, you'll probably be able to sell it for at least a bit more than you paid for it. Not a way to get rich, but pays for a bit of gas. I've turned 3 trailers this way (ranging from a kit trailer from Lowes to a Trail-king 40K trailer) and was always able to make a bit of profit. Pretty sure that it more than covered the extra fuel, but wasn't always able to calculate that precisely.

CRL
Arguably Displaced Alaskan AGAIN !
My RV is a 1946 PA-12

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Selling an RV in AK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS