|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> fridge problem. freezer gets cold but fridge dont

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
lizzardboy

Portland, MI.

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/11 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New to the forum. Im sure the answer is here somewhere but can't find it. I just bought a class c motorhome and the fridge isn't getting cold but the freezer is. I am hoping someone could guide me in the right direction on how to solve this issue. Thanks.

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/11 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In some cases just removing the burner and the tube going to it that contains the orfice and cleaning them with alchol and conpressed air fixes that problem. Do not probe these parts with anything. Good luck.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/11 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give it time...RV friges act that way. The freezer will get cold and the main compartment will slowly follow, but it can take many hours to catch up.

If you keep opening the door to check every 15 minutes, it will take even longer.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

SuperDutyFiver

Long Valley, NJ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/11 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Give it time...RV friges act that way. The freezer will get cold and the main compartment will slowly follow, but it can take many hours to catch up.

If you keep opening the door to check every 15 minutes, it will take even longer.

I agree-the freezer usually starts to feel cold in just an hour or so...an empty fridge may not feel cold until sitting overnight!

36' Carriage Carri-Lite 35rl3
PSD 4x4 Custom Tow Vehicle-the 550
PSD 4x4 SUV-the X
PSD 4x4 Duellies-rack, utility & pickup
E450 PSD 4x2 Chassis Cab
E550 PSD 4x2 Cube Van-The Beast

RIP-Prowler 345Y LSI-THANKS SUPERSTORM SANDY...

Mammoth-Snowman

Mammoth Lakes

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/11 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When buying used, allways have the owner turn on the fridge to make sure it works before you make your purchase.

I am with the others... give it night before you start to worry about it.

Rig: 1995 Jamboree Searcher 23 feet

http://www.discovermammoth.com

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/11 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As posted above... The bulk of the cooling happens in the Freezer and those Fins you see at the top/rear of the Fridge conduct cool (actually absorb heat if you're a terminology geek). The thermostat that tells the system to stop cooling (meaning its cooling requirement is satisfied) is in the Fridge, on or close to those fins. So, let me pose a few questions:
1. What's the Make/Model/Age of this Fridge?
2. Do you know if it's original or already been replaced?
3. How much TIME are you giving the Fridge to cool? It can easily take 8-12 hours for an RV fridge to go from ambient weather temp in say the 80s to get to its operating food storage temperaures.
4. Is your coach level? Actually, is your FRIDGE level? Sometime when you can, get your coach perfectly level, using a carpenter's level in the center of the kitchen floor. Then check the freezer shelf and see if IT is also level. That will verify that the fridge was installed "true" relative to the rest of the coach. The Fridge is really the most important "customer" as far as being level goes. Newer ones aren't as fussy as older models, but level still helps.
5. Are the doors sealing? Take a dollar bill and close the door on it. It should drag pulling it out. Repeat all the way around both doors. RV fridges do not cool powerfully like home units and they cannot recover from any loss of cold air out the gaskets. This also means you should chill or freeze your foods in the home fridge/freezer then move them to a pre-cooled RV fridge. Also means you should get in and out quickly while getting things out and putting them back.
6. Website www.rvmobile.com has a lot of information on how fridges operate and has lots of troubleshooting info. I'm not at all sure, though, that there's anything wrong with yours except maybe expecting too much too soon or the doors not fully sealing. We have a Norcold and have found the fridge door isn't stiff enough to seal at the lower corner on the latch side. Now we knee the corner when we latch the door.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/11 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lizzardboy, how long has it been on?

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

lizzardboy

Portland, MI.

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/11 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had it on about an hr and freezer was getting cold but didn't see any results in fridge. In the past travel trailers I had it didn't seem to take as long to notice. I will turn it on overnight to see if there is a difference. Maybe I am expecting to much to soon. Thanks.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/11 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check it tomorrow morning but no more today.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

lizzardboy

Portland, MI.

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I checked this morning and freezer is cold but fridge is not. Something must be going on with it. Makes no since to me.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> fridge problem. freezer gets cold but fridge dont
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS