RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Scamp vs Casita or ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Scamp vs Casita or ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Fishhawker

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering buying a used 16' (+ or -) trailer to use for short trips to the many primitive and beautiful camping areas around where the road access isn't so good and the site space is limited.
Basic TT requirements would be:
bed,table,stove,ref,toilet/shower

We are retired and there is just the 2 of us.

We will keep our 30' Jayco for the other camping trips where there is less chance of trashing the Jayco.

Would appreciate your input on which small, lite TT you folks have experience with or prefer.

Also, any info on best sites we can search for these small TT "For Sale"?

Thanks,
FH

Eyegor

NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have their own website, fiberglassrv.com. Lots of fans and good info there.

87 Mallard Sprinter 24' Class C Ford E350 w/460 gas "The Runny Duck"
Shiny side up, Rubber side down.

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked at both several years ago and consider them of equal quality. There is also another similar make: Escape.

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered the small Fun Finder X models? They are not as "bombproof" as the Casita-type eggs, but they are well-made, comfortable, and less expensive than the eggs. We liked our old 2003 Fun Finder so much that we just bought a 2012.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small TTs Post

Scamp comes in 13' & 16', they have R15 rated insulation. Taller. Maybe lighter. 13" tires/wheels only. Specs

Casita have 13, 16, 17, no insulation, not as tall inside. Wider beds, more varied layouts for beds. 13 & 16 lower ceilings, small frigs. 14" or 15" tires/wheels. Specs

Might look at the Fun Finder TTs, such as: X-139 or a X-160 or the X-160 WB.

Buying used, whatever comes along which has the room and features you are looking for, go with it.

Moldered Fiberglass Trailers seem to last a long time, keep there value, but may cost more to buy new or used. But for what you are wanting it for, I'd just go with the nicest one which would show up for sell.

Good luck.

Post Edit:
I see you have a 2008 GMC Sierra 5.3 w/ tow package; do you have a cap/shell/cover on back?

Have you considered a Truck Camper? My son has one now, it was very nice. The wet bath/shower was not much of a hassle to use at all.

Perhaps one such as a Palominofolding truck camper; lite-weight truck camper features a pop-up roof that raises with an easy-to-operate crank system, creating a spacious interior with full stand-up room and lots of convenient features. The Bronco’s lite-weight, low profile design gives you better fuel efficiency and on or off-the-road handling.

If a shower was not needed, an Aliner hardsided folding Trailer might be good. We camped a week in Alaska in a rented one this summer, never worried about bears, even after we saw a couple.

Chalet also makes one like the Aliner. A better made one perhaps. An Aliner owner told me so.

However, I believe some of them have showers.

* This post was edited 09/24/11 12:33pm by DesertHawk *

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Have you considered the small Fun Finder X models? They are not as "bombproof" as the Casita-type eggs, but they are well-made, comfortable, and less expensive than the eggs. We liked our old 2003 Fun Finder so much that we just bought a 2012.

I second this. If I ever bought a smaller TT, I'd probably go with the FunFinder. Nice looking little unit and most all the conforts of a bigger tt, in a smaller footprint.

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our Casita (16') in late 199? we also looked at Scamp. At that time Scamp had WOODEN floor. You needed to crawl under to see that. Casita was all fiberglass. We loved ours. Likely would still have it had we not become handicapped and needed a toyhauler for scooters.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, Casita also has a wooden/plywood floor on top the the fiberglass floor, the flooring material such as carpet, linoleum/vinyl or whatever will be placed not on fiberglass but on the plywood or maybe waffle board.

Scamp has fiberglass resin coated marine waffle board for a floor with carpet or vinyl flooring on top. Shouldn't be a problem. Unless water leak from inside of the trailer would mess it up. But this would also mess up a Casita floor as well.

Casitas with the cool with fiberglass undersides do look neat. But it also adds weight to the trailer. Condensation can also get caught between the fiberglass floor and the plywood floor. I believe they have drain holes to help keep this from happening.

The Scamps have a different way of plumbing from shower to grey tank, an in-line pump to transfer water. Casita has gravity flow plumbing, with P-traps and I believe values to close & open. Maybe depends on the year. Scamp not as likely to have back up water into the shower.

Scamp's black tank is under the toilet, with it's own drain value, does not empty at same outlet as the grey. Casita does, much like most RV set ups. But seems like the plumbing for this is a little lower than the Scamp's.

Scamp and Casita both have rivets that attach cabinets and interior walls, etc to the fiberglass shell; these can break & have to be replaced. Hard jolts can break them. But I have not had any to fail on ours.

Escape does not use rivets, nor does EggCamper or Lil Snoozy; nor some of the old ones. But some old ones did. Depends on the method of manufacturing.

13' & 16' Scamp have same head room or same height for those made after 2005. Others 13' a little shorter.

On our Scamp, I did a mod by adding a Removable floor over shower floor which make using the toilet more comfortable. Not sure how the layout in Casitas.

I cut a piece of sub-flooring sheet and covered it with a piece of carpet the factor had in the trailer to keep the carpet clean. I would miss having it. So much easier to use the toilet.

We have added another curtain rod to allow a full sized shower curtain to cover the door and then cover the toilet. Keeps from having to clean water from it and from behind it. Works very well.

* This post was edited 09/24/11 01:46pm by DesertHawk *

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Alaska Trip posted on Casita Club; not sure if you will be able to open it without being a member. Maybe you can.

As for a C-class, like a Truck Camper, without a tow vehicle, would have to break camp if want to got sight seeing, etc. We had a small Geo Metro which we towed with ours, took it to Canada with a canoe on top and bikes on the back, one a tandem (bike for two). We had towed a ski type boat and a CJ-7 Jeep behind it as well and at time a Ford Ranger.

The C-class towing a Jeep towing the boat was a long tow, but only had about 80 or so miles to go to the lake.

Used it to tow a larger U-Haul trailer to the Twin Cities of Minnesota for my daughter when she moved up there. Had a place to stay until she found an apartment.

Used it at times with out a tow vehicle, work pretty well. But wasn't camping much, mainly overnighting and sightseeing.

RV History

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At a RV show yesterday, I saw an all aluminum trailer about the size of the Fun Finders/Scamps/Casitas. All aluminum as in inside and outside (except for the bed and possible couch). It was called a CampLite, and made by Livin' Lite. It might be an alternative to the fiberglass models.

The only two downsides are that the refrigerator is small, and the wet bath/shoilet takes some getting used to. Other than that, it looks to be bulletproof.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Scamp vs Casita or ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS