|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Residential Fridge Installation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For anyone who is contemplating a residential refrigerator installation, here's a picture of our completed project. The work was done by Truline RV of Spokane and we were very pleased with their performance. We used the counter-depth 18 cu ft Samsung French door unit to replace a Norcold 1200 series. The width of the two units is basically the same and the needed height was provided by sacrificing two drawers that had been under the Norcold. The Samsung uses every inch of depth to the coach wall but doesn't extend into the room any further than did the Norcold.

The storage improvement is incredible. We have 4 6-volt batteries connected to a Xantrex 2500 watt inverter along with a 100W solar panel on the roof. We don't boondock much and we should be Ok for a day or so without using the generator. Samsung has stated this unit can run off of a modified sine wave inverter as long as it can provide 11.5 amps of starting current.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2oldman

Belle Fourche SD

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I may do this someday.

I'll save this link for those who aren't offended by reading previous posts.

sepisllib

Cresco, Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docj

Love it.

I surely do wish I had the extra room on bottom to install the one you did, unfortunately I did not.

On the bottom of my Norcold was our LP furnace and it took tremendous effort to squeek out 66 7/8 inches of height and in that space I placed the Frigidaire 18 CF residential.

Yours looks great - congrats.
This is what my finished product looks like now.

God Bless

Bill

* This post was edited 09/24/11 06:34pm by sepisllib *

Bill W. Trammell
Wife - Judy
2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor
2008 Malibu 2LT toad

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks great. I've read dozens of threads already on this subject as we may be following in your footsteps soon. Always nice to see another. Do you mind if I ask how many hours labor it took them to do the job? Did they take the old and new in and out of the front door or did they have to use a window?

Enjoy. Thanks for your time.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love it. Other Suite owners have done this and some day, this is the model we want to replace our 4-dr.

Just waiting for our Dometic to start causing problems so we have an excuse to replace it.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

It looks great. I've read dozens of threads already on this subject as we may be following in your footsteps soon. Always nice to see another. Do you mind if I ask how many hours labor it took them to do the job? Did they take the old and new in and out of the front door or did they have to use a window?

Truline billed us for 16 hours of labor associated with the installation (which is consistent with other estimates I had received), but that did not include some extensive wiring changes we made as part of the process. In our coach the refrigerator circuit was not on the inverter and the microwave was; we swapped those. It sounds simple, but nothing in a MH is!

Removal of one of the windshields was necessary to remove the Norcold, not to bring the new one it. It could have gone through the door with its doors off, but since the windshield had to be removed anyway they just put it through in one piece. Even with the windshield removed they chose to remove the passenger seat to protect it.

Larry Cohen

Mobile, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/footdock/IMG_20110725_122918.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/footdock/IMG_20110725_122945.jpg

2006 Mountain Aire 43
Short haired wife, long haired daschund and 3 sugar gliders are co-pilots, along with Garmin Nuvi 855
05 Honda Pilot with Air Force One supplemental brake
Blue Ox Aventa II towbar
Whirlpool Residential Fridge !!!

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docj wrote:

2chiefsRus wrote:

Truline billed us for 16 hours of labor associated with the installation (which is consistent with other estimates I had received), but that did not include some extensive wiring changes we made as part of the process. In our coach the refrigerator circuit was not on the inverter and the microwave was; we swapped those. It sounds simple, but nothing in a MH is!

Removal of one of the windshields was necessary to remove the Norcold, not to bring the new one it. It could have gone through the door with its doors off, but since the windshield had to be removed anyway they just put it through in one piece. Even with the windshield removed they chose to remove the passenger seat to protect it.

Mine went through the door with doors off both the coach and fridge. The electrical switch was only a 15 min job in my coach to get the fridge on the inverter. The trick was to switch the grounds as well.

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

Larry Cohen

Mobile, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine went through the side window....I couldnt use the counter depth due to extra width....my Whirlpool 21.8 is only 3 inches taller and deeper than the Norcrap.....let's see if I can get the photo link to work...it turned out great!!!finished job

Larry Cohen

Mobile, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/11 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

uh oh.... ]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Residential Fridge Installation
Search:   Advanced Search