|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> winter storage and mice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sodakfisherman

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I place poison blox/chunks in bait stations in the corners and along the inner walls of my steel building. Mice have poor eyesight, which is why they crawl along the walls. Any mice that get into the barn quickly encounter a bait station.

My philosophy is kill the little pukes before they even get a chance to think about trying to find a way into the camper.

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Mega Cab 4x4 6.7L CTD
2013 Jayco Eagle 324BTS
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express LTZ 230BH + Equal-i-zer 1000/10000 (SOLD)

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4-in-a-fiver wrote:

All winter long, not so much, meaning the first flush of mice is the one to be ready for. This is the time of year that the mice are moving to shelter, so don't put off your preventative measures! I use plenty of place-pack mouse poison along the walls, corners, doors of the building. Also, place a pack at each landing gear and finally around the wheels of the rig. I'm not a believer in the fabric softener sheets inside the coach as a deterrent, but at least they smell good! If you're still unsure, buy a couple boxes of moth flakes and sprinkle them liberally on the floor of the building around the camper and anyplace you think mice might be sniffing around to find an entrance to the shed.

That is totally inconsiderate of other wildlife to randomly and indiscrimently put animal poison around in someone else's barn. I can't believe you are thht cold hearted and inconsiderate.

scotthas

Redcliff, Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/11 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had cats in the last 3 trailers and they have been stored in a variety of places, i.e. storage lot, big machinery shed at a farm and now the last 7yrs in our back yard. Never ever had mice and I think it is due to having the scent of our cats in the trailer? We gave our neighbor’s a cat bed that we were no longer using so we shall see if this is the case as they have mice very even though they leave nothing inside the trailer. If you can borrow a cat give it a try! I know it's not that easy but I think it must have something to it. Even the cat bed that they lay in we leave out in the trailer. Worth a try to have someone you know give you a cat scented item.

Happy campers
2011 FORD Lariat 350 Super Duty
2013 Forest River Sandpiper 365SAQ

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scotthas wrote:

We have had cats in the last 3 trailers and they have been stored in a variety of places, i.e. storage lot, big machinery shed at a farm and now the last 7yrs in our back yard. Never ever had mice and I think it is due to having the scent of our cats in the trailer? We gave our neighbor’s a cat bed that we were no longer using so we shall see if this is the case as they have mice very even though they leave nothing inside the trailer. If you can borrow a cat give it a try! I know it's not that easy but I think it must have something to it. Even the cat bed that they lay in we leave out in the trailer. Worth a try to have someone you know give you a cat scented item.

Exaclty how we did it for more than a decqade. We even leave the kitty box in the camper after cleaning it when the camper goes in the barn. I also think the meeses can smell the cats and wil not trespass.

Works or our stick home also.

USA in a Chevrolet

Manahawkin, New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

4-in-a-fiver wrote:

All winter long, not so much, meaning the first flush of mice is the one to be ready for. This is the time of year that the mice are moving to shelter, so don't put off your preventative measures! I use plenty of place-pack mouse poison along the walls, corners, doors of the building. Also, place a pack at each landing gear and finally around the wheels of the rig. I'm not a believer in the fabric softener sheets inside the coach as a deterrent, but at least they smell good! If you're still unsure, buy a couple boxes of moth flakes and sprinkle them liberally on the floor of the building around the camper and anyplace you think mice might be sniffing around to find an entrance to the shed.

That is totally inconsiderate of other wildlife to randomly and indiscrimently put animal poison around in someone else's barn. I can't believe you are thht cold hearted and inconsiderate.

I believe that the mouse poison he is referring to is in boxes that prevent any larger wildlife from getting into them. I don't think he is being cold-haearted or inconsiderate. As for the moth flakes, I doubt very seriously if anything would eat them!

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/11 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer is along side the house so checking traps is no big deal. No poison as they don't die right away. They may end up dead somewhere you can't reach to remove the stinky body. snap traps and peanut butter only way to go. I also have a TIN CAT trap that pushes them into a compartment that they can't escape from. Get i'm before they get inside. Years ago I also used an electronic gizzmo that made an ultasonic noise which finally died but while it worked it kept the critters at bay. Needed 120 volts though.

4-in-a-fiver

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/11 04:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

4-in-a-fiver wrote:

I confess, I do not care about mice on my farm or the farm of anyone else for that matter. Good grief, get a grip here!

connex

us

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

4-in-a-fiver wrote:

Or you can try to catch the filth dirty mice and vermin alive and then deliver them to this ones house im sure they will find a place for them in there house aint that rite ....

Wolf3gang

SD

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/11 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have also used Bounce sheets everywhere. No mice to be seen!!!!!

bad99ram

home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/11 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a organic repeller called Fresh Cab. I understand that it is used in combine cabs ect while in storage. I have used it in my Fifth. I threw a packet in storage Comp , 1 under sink . Kept them out. I found it at Fleet Farm

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> winter storage and mice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS