|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> $15,892.41

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
Sponsored By:
Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is what it just cost my company to replace the engine in my company truck.

Before anybody jumps on the bash brand X trip, I did not post this for anyone to take in that direction. This issue happened to my company truck while I was driving it back in August.

I did not post this until now, because I wanted to gather any relevant information before posting anything. Sadly I know little from this episode that could help other 6.4L PSD owners avoid where this has taken us.

Here is what I can tell.....I was driving on a MO Ozarks 2-lane road, cruise set at 57MPH, tach at 2100RPM......Engine was not stressed. The engine developed a tick that rapidly turned into a knock.

I was able to roll into a nearby Ford dealer with a definate knock, and miss, but with no other symptoms.....No excessive blow by, no overheating, no oil smell, coolant level was normal, nothing to indicate a problem except for the knock, and miss......Anyhow, left the truck with that dealer, and about a week later they called with an estimate for $17,500 for a new engine. I was shocked, the noise sounded like a rocker arm, and not something more than that. They said the EGR cooler was blown, and that is what destroyed the engine. I'm thinking no coolant loss????, no white smoke (or any other color for that matter) out the tail pipe. Hmmmm.......No other symptoms.....Hmmmm.....

So, I had the truck towed to a different dealer for a second opinion. The mechanic there agreed with me that it sounded like a rocker arm. According to him, they are seeing a few rocker arm failures on 100,000+mi 6.4L PSDs. Good, I thought, cheap repair. Well, they called back, and said it had low compression on #8 cylinder, and that the rocker arms all looked fine. They suggested the engine route as well, and gave us the aforementioned estimate. After some struggling with what to do, the powers that be told me to have them change the engine.

Since this wasn't a warranty repair, and the dealership was on bid, they didn't let the tech tear the engine down to see what actually failed. He, and I can only speculate as to what actually went wrong. He thinks it was a bent connecting rod. My thoughts are related to the regens every 100mi. I am afraid the all too frequent regens are washing the rings, and diluting the engine oil. One other thought I have is about a year ago the front cover on the engine failed and allowed all of the coolant to be pumped into the engine. Maybe this preceeded where we are now? Hard to say, but babbit bearings don't like ethylene glycol.

I guess if I were to give advice to 6.4L PSD owners it would be this:

1) Consider having your truck looked at to see if it is covered by the TSB that states that the engine front cover is suspect to failure. Ours is an early 2008 build truck.

2) Keep the engine oil changed. Monitor the oil level. If it is overfull, this is fuel dilution, not more oil.

3) Add an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. Ford sucks at this.....The oil light never came on when I had this problem, all it takes is approximately 7psi of oil pressure to turn off Ford's idiot light. That is not enough to keep the engine, and turbo alive. Had I had an accurate gauge to monitor, I might have been able to intercede before this thing completely let go. Maybe, maybe not, but we will never know......

The powers that be told me not to get too used to this truck, as it is slated to be gone in 2 years when the unlimited mileage warranty runs out. One positive note, the new engine gets about .5mpg better fuel mileage. Might see a full 1. after she gets broken in.

Sort of off topic....... Tax $997.13.

In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geez...for $15,892.41 you could probably have had Destroked repower it with a Cummins. Yeah, you're still out fifteen grand, but at least you have a good motor!

Gas power is looking better and better.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mention there is still some type of unlimited mileage warranty on the truck. Why was this repair not warranted? What does that warranty cover?

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What other driveablity repairs has this particular truck had?

02 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4, prodigy and equalizer
07 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK
07 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed, Hauls @$$
and no payments

ata3001

Niagara Falls, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is it that this latest rash of high $ repairs to diesel motors seem to be Fords. This is NOT a Ford bashing, but just an observence.

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you apparently think this is too high, I have two questions. 1)Why would you agree to the repairs (I assume the dealership gave you an estimate and if not, only fools give anyone a blank check). 2) If you feel it is too high, what should it cost to replace the engine? Bonus question 2A) how did you arrive at the figure in answer of question #2?

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fordlover wrote:

What other driveablity repairs has this particular truck had?

3 radiators, and 1 fuel lift pump. The engine thermostats were replaced per a TSB with the last radiator. And of course the normal software upgrades when required.

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Wow that's steep but I've seen creat 6.0 deisel engins with a 13,500.00 price tag as a display in Ford dealers service departments before. Why is this not a warranty repair (I have to ask). More than 100,000 on the truck? Certainly not over the 5 year warranty period.

skipnchar- Truck had 120,9xx mi when the engine failed. Original warranty is good to 100,000mi.

Lantly- The new (remanufactured) engine has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty per Ford. This particular engine comes with new (not rebuilt) EGR coolers, engine oil coolers, and reman turbos. All of which are covered by that warranty.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow that's steep but I've seen creat 6.0 deisel engins with a 13,500.00 price tag as a display in Ford dealers service departments before. Why is this not a warranty repair (I have to ask). More than 100,000 on the truck? Certainly not over the 5 year warranty period.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/11 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you seen this vid?

The cooler failed and it hydros the #8 cylinder. It's always #8.
Look at the metal in the pan.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> $15,892.41
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts