|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> $15,892.41

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DirtyOil wrote:

ib516 wrote:

It will likely need a power steering pump soon, it has been acting up

ib516, don't know if you are aware or not, but I would check the high pressure hose off the pump. They can have a small pin hole in them, the fluid runs down the hose towards the pump. The pump may look like its leaking. I would have the truck running and get DW to turn the wheel one way then back, look for small stream of fluid or "wet" spots on the hose. I thought I had a bad pump as well, turned to be a leaking high pressure hose.

Please be careful checking for high pressure leaks. Do NOT run your finger down the hose to see if you can find it. It is very painful and dangerous if you would happen to find it and get some fluid "injected" into your finger..

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

hone eagle wrote:

I would expect that if you went to any dealership and ask a tech 'what do see constantly needing repair' ?
The answer would be "dagnabit (pick a brand) are all I ever see"
distorted ? you bet.

Your missing the point hone eagle. Certain engines have common problems.
For the 7.3 it was the CPS. For the LB7 it was injectors. For the 6.0 it was coolers and head gaskets. For the 6.4 it was coolers and catastrophic engine failure.

Some common problems are cheap and easy to fix like the CPS. It's a $50 part and can be fixed on the road in about 10 minutes.

Some like the LB7 are VERY expensive to fix. It was 5 grand for a friend of mine last month to replace his injectors. For the 6.0 it's anywhere from 3 to 5K to fix cooler and head gasket problems. Fuel system problems for the 6.4 can cost anywhere from 9 to 16+ grand depending on what it takes out.

Not saying your wrong by any means
Its just that the internet is a plum perfect filter of bitterness and anger

Like I said, it's not the brand but the year and model of the engine that is important. I would not own a LB7 unless the injectors were updated before I bought it. I would not own a 6.0 unless I could get it at a killer buy and do all the mods on it to make it a dependable engine. I would not own a 6.4 at all. Why? Because the tech's I talk to and hang out with tell me to stay away. Even more so than the 6.0. [emoticon] When an expert talks I shut up and listen.

Still think I'm incorrect about the engines I named? Do this. Go to any BIG Ford dealer and ask the diesel techs how many 6.0 or 6.4 engines they have replaced this year to date. Then do the same at a Dodge dealer. Come back and report your findings. [emoticon]

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just keep in mind there are more Ford HD's in each year of production than the GM or Dodge counterparts. Higher percentage of the marketshare is going to equal higher percentage of failures, all else being equal. That sure doesn't help any 6.4 owner out that is having to spring for a new engine, luckily that seems to be the exception, not the rule. The more reading I do the more it seems to be a higher number of 6.4 failures than I'd expect, and that sucks. [emoticon]

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

roamerr

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the premium of diesel engines they need to close to bullet-proof. Anything less is absurd. All the engines offered in the 3500 series will pull anything on this board (yes -- even a 5.7 liter hemi)but charging $8k extra and it only lasting 100,000 miles is BS....

2009 Cherokee Wolfpack DFWP27 Toyhauler
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab w/3.92
Can-Am Outlander 800R Ltd
Club Car DS Lifted and Modified for campground fun
2 dogs - Basset Hound and German Beagle (mutt)
Great Family Fun!!

FordMastertech

Burlington CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being a Ford Senior Master Tech that has to repair these beasts on a daily basis, I would not own a 6.4 with any mileage. If you do I would not recommend keeping them past warranty expiration or expect any help from Ford past warranty expires as they get none from Navastar. This engine is a ticking time bomb and way worse than the 6.0 ever was. They are a absolute nightmare to work on and diagnose and small things take out big things. The main issue with them is the lack of maintenance schedules some owners keep, emission system, fuel system and cooling systems which when combined it is taking out the base engine. The bottom end design of the 6.4 engine is almost exactly like the 6.0 and we never had the major engine failures with the 6.0s. Keep a eye on the oil levels getting over full from the regen events, keep the coolant full and clean any you may not have the huge engine repairs. Injection system and cooling system failures just seem to be the luck of the draw and will take the whole engine out very quickly.

Tim & Donna ">
04 Prowler Lynx 830Y lots of mods 16 inch LT tires
00 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD Pullrite Prodigy Autometer Gauges Magnaflow Exhaust DP Tuner Chip Terminator Big Oil ">
2 Kids Nikki & Tyler ">
2 Goldens Sage & Cayenne ">

jims1

MS

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad I only have 6 cylinders to worry about...

That said, I also glad I don't have to lift the cab to do any work on my little ole 6 banger..hehehehe

Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

dgreen1069

Bristow, VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roamerr wrote:

For the premium of diesel engines they need to close to bullet-proof. Anything less is absurd. All the engines offered in the 3500 series will pull anything on this board (yes -- even a 5.7 liter hemi)but charging $8k extra and it only lasting 100,000 miles is BS....

I agree with you 100% My last 3 trucks have all been diesels, and I would really like to have my next truck be a diesel. With that said, it almost doesn't make sense anymore....the upfront cost is high, but would be tolerable if the engines were are reliable as their big brothers in the big trucks. The reality is that they are not...and when they break, it can cost more to fix injectors than it would cost for a long block gas engine.

I have 154k on my Excursion and I have my fingers crossed that it keeps going for another 100k or so. Nobody makes a SUV as capable as what I have, and I don't know if I want to risk one of the new diesels.

2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/11 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FordMastertech wrote:

Being a Ford Senior Master Tech that has to repair these beasts on a daily basis, I would not own a 6.4 with any mileage. If you do I would not recommend keeping them past warranty expiration or expect any help from Ford past warranty expires as they get none from Navastar. This engine is a ticking time bomb and way worse than the 6.0 ever was. They are a absolute nightmare to work on and diagnose and small things take out big things. The main issue with them is the lack of maintenance schedules some owners keep, emission system, fuel system and cooling systems which when combined it is taking out the base engine. The bottom end design of the 6.4 engine is almost exactly like the 6.0 and we never had the major engine failures with the 6.0s. Keep a eye on the oil levels getting over full from the regen events, keep the coolant full and clean any you may not have the huge engine repairs. Injection system and cooling system failures just seem to be the luck of the draw and will take the whole engine out very quickly.

You might want to switch your PM setting to buddy list only. [emoticon]
Ahh you know I'm kidding, the true Blue's are over on FTE crying in their beers. I've always been looking for oil in all the wrong places I guess.
Great post from someone who know's their *&^#.

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

surveyorjp

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FordMastertech wrote:

That's about all that needs to be said.

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/11 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FordMastertech wrote:

Thank you FordMastertech for saying what I have been saying for a long time!!! You have just said what my tech friends have been saying for years.
Thanks again!!

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> $15,892.41
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS